Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Neighbor wants to run Scaffolding through my Flat  (Read 4520 times)

• Liked: 19
Re: Neighbor wants to run Scaffolding through my Flat
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
Just to play Devil's Advocate, with regards to your worries over your electronics...

most reputable contractors are bonded and insured.  So, if something did get broken, or went missing during the job, they would generally be liable for repairing/replacing the item. 

If you do end up letting them access your flat, I would think it perfectly reasonable if you requested verification of the contractor's insurance, etc.  And, regardless of whether anyone's in and out of your flat, it's always a good idea to keep an up-to-date inventory of those types of belongings, for your own use in case of a break-in or insurance claim.

To be quite honest, other than a bit of inconvenience (and, in my experience, decent contractors are also quite good about cleaning up after themselves, and the person ordering the work should insist upon this), I'm not sure what you have to lose by allowing the work.  You're certainly free to argue it with your neighbor and/or landlord, but it just seems like it might be a lot of worry, inconvenience and melodrama over not much.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 01:06:42 AM »
I agree. You need more info. I know it sounds like it could be hellish... but it might not be. We made a God-awful stink to our letting agent a few years ago when we found out our back yard, which was paved in concrete, had to be dug up to allow new drainage pipes to be laid. I was 8 months pregnant and flat out refused for it to happen because they could not guarantee how long it would take, how noisy it would be, or how messy.

Long story short, they did it after we moved out (which was when my son was 5 months old). According to our other neighbor, the contractor was amazing and while there was some noise and dust, he did everything he could to keep it quiet, clean, and fast.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 06:33:05 AM »
As a tenant, you do NOT have to agree to this, it interferes with your "right to quiet enjoyment" of the property, so your landlord cannot actually overrule you. On the other hand, if he thinks you are "difficult" tenants, he may choose not to renew your lease at the end of its current term. Personally, I would ask what compensation the owner of the other flat is offering you for this inconvenience before making any decision.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
Just to update, What I've done is written up a contract for the PM to sign that states basically that by signing, he agrees he is soley liable for anything broken, damaged or stolen. Im prepared to let it happen if I get a signature which essentially insures anything that gets damaged or goes on walkabout will have to be replaced.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
Just to update, What I've done is written up a contract for the PM to sign that states basically that by signing, he agrees he is soley liable for anything broken, damaged or stolen. Im prepared to let it happen if I get a signature which essentially insures anything that gets damaged or goes on walkabout will have to be replaced.

Good idea! Sounds like your problems are solved.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab