Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expiring student visa / re-entry as visitor.  (Read 941 times)

• Liked: 0
Expiring student visa / re-entry as visitor.
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
Hello all,
I apologize if this question has come up before, I did look through the forum but didn't see anything.  I'm currently in the UK on a student visa which will expire on October 31st.  I'm taking an interruption in my PhD and will be going back to the states.  I wanted to visit some friends in Germany for Halloween, so my plan is to leave the UK before my visa expires, come back to the UK as a visitor, then fly out to New York a week or so later.  My question is, will I have any trouble coming back in as a visitor?  As I say, it will only be for a week or so, and I'll have a one-way ticket to NY in my possession.  I just want to make sure everything remains above-board, as I will have to eventually come back to the UK for my viva, and may apply for a Post-Study Work Visa later.
Thanks!

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Expiring student visa / re-entry as visitor.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
There is nothing to prevent you from re-entering as a visitor once you have had a residence visa expire.  Just realise (as you are kind of hinting at) that the IO will need to be convinced that you are truly a visitor and not trying to "sneak" back in.  A clear itenerary and a ticket back to the US should be sufficient.  Also knowing specifically where you are going to stay for your week and potentially having some evidence that you have a life in the US that you need to return to would be a good idea just in case you get a grumpy IO.

But the best rule of thumb is to only answer the questions asked and only offer up what you are asked for.  Plopping a big pile of paperwork at the IO and talking a mile a minute about how you are only visiting will send of red alarms quicker then being un-prepared.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
Will re-entering on a visitor visa present a problem in the future if she then applies for PSW visa?  I seem to remember a discussion about this a while back, but don't remember the outcome and can't currently find the thread.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
Someone did state that it is only for in-country applications that the last leave had to be as a student. For out of country it apparently doesn't matter.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »
Yes, you can't switch in country from a visitor to a PSW, basically you cannot switch from a visitor to anything.  They have been doing their best to close off any means someone can switch from a vistor to a resident.  But you can always leave the UK and apply for a PSW.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab