Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Post-Weekend litter venting  (Read 798 times)

• Liked: 1
Post-Weekend litter venting
« on: February 01, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »
I know this is ranting and a bit of a moan but do you experience the Monday morning litter blues? I walk through two town centres Monday morning and it's a battle field of McD wrappers, chicken box/bones and the little blue late night shop bags everywhere. I might be a prud but I HATE litter and there is nothing worse than a Sunday/Monday walkway.
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

Re: Post-Weekend litter venting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
Litter is the one and only thing I hate about living in Glasgow.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
It's always bad on Sundays at our local kids' playpark. I think teenagers go there on Saturday nights because there are always a few cans and bottles lying around, and sometimes worse. There was a used syringe under one of the trees for weeks. It's probably still there actually,  I haven't looked for a while.  And this is a in a nice neighbourhood!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:55 PM »
Litter is the one and only thing I hate about living in Glasgow.

That and the sick.  I've encountered it in the Centre and the West End almost always adjacent to an ATM.  It's not Monday without the fresh remains of a person who can't hold their liquor.  :-X
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
That and the sick.  I've encountered it in the Centre and the West End almost always adjacent to an ATM.  It's not Monday without the fresh remains of a person who can't hold their liquor.  :-X

How disgusting!
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
How disgusting!

It really is, it must happen everywhere, but it's just so unfortunately noticeable to me here.  I just think there must be a lack of shrubs here or the fact that the bins on the street have tops on them or something, limits an overly drunk person's options.  :P  Now I've gone and thought about this too much.  Icky icky icky.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
oof. Yes, the Monday after (especially while Uni is in session) can be GROSS. I have now perfected my teacher-death-stare to use on litterers though.  I've even "told" people all concerned that they dropped something as if it must have been a mistake.  Right now I'm 3 for 5 with people turning around and picking whatever it is back up.  There is usually a bin less than five feet away! Now, if I only could figure out who is scattering cigarette butts all over the sidewalk in front of the flats. SO ANNOYING. 

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »
oof. Yes, the Monday after (especially while Uni is in session) can be GROSS. I have now perfected my teacher-death-stare to use on litterers though.  I've even "told" people all concerned that they dropped something as if it must have been a mistake.  Right now I'm 3 for 5 with people turning around and picking whatever it is back up.  There is usually a bin less than five feet away! Now, if I only could figure out who is scattering cigarette butts all over the sidewalk in front of the flats. SO ANNOYING. 

I totally get you on the cigarettes bit. Someone keeps throwing them all over the front yard of our flat building and my dog always tries to have a taste. It really bugs me that my dog can't just have some fun playing outside. Instead I'm always saying "leave it alone" and "don't touch that." Plus our yard really looks ugly because of it.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
Litter doesn't bother me so much.  Dog sh*t and piles of puke do however.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »
I so hear you!  It's actually one of the things that pushed us closer to our recent move.  I was living in a flat in a student area of the city before.  We got so fed up with all the beer and cider bottles strewn around our street.  It didn't help that we lived across from a small park, so all the drunk students thought it was fair game to just toss their rubbish wherever they pleased.  It made me batty. 

I don't get the mentality that it's okay to just drop rubbish anywhere knowing someone from the council will probably pick it up sometime.  Whenever we were doing viewings for our house I had to go out and clean the street as well as my house. 

I did have a laugh once when I saw a big group of students drinking and having a party in the park right in front of us.  I knew someone was coming early to view the house and just couldn't deal with cleaning the whole grassy stretch in front of us, so I actually went over and explained that we were trying to sell our house in a matter of hours, and could they be very nice and make sure they picked up their stuff when they were done?  The shock came when they were very friendly and picked up every little bit of their picnic!  That had to be a first.

Sponsored Links