Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When should I apply for Settlement?  (Read 317 times)

• Liked: 95
When should I apply for Settlement?
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
I want to get everything done before July 2011, meaning my settlement visa, KOL taken and ILR sent. When (at the latest) should I file for my settlement visa?

If the settlement visa is approved and we have moved by May of 2011 will that be enough time to take the KOL and apply for ILR before July? I have been married for 4 years so I won't have the time requirement between applications.

Is the ILR equivalent to the US's permanent resident? Would I then apply for citizenship after some period of time?
FLR (M) Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 14/10/20
Biometrics Appointment/Document Scanned: 13/11/20
Received Decision: 8/3/21 - APPROVED

ILR Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 30/08/23
Biometrics Appointment/Documents Scanned: 29/09/23
Received Decision: 24/11/23 APPROVED

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: When should I apply for Settlement?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
You can study for the test now and take it as soon as you feel comfortable. 

Yes, ILR is permanent residence.  You will be able to apply for citizenship after you've lived in the UK for three years. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 95
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
Thanks, do you know if there's an expiration on the settlement visa? If I file now, or soon and continue to live in the US for another year is that ok?
FLR (M) Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 14/10/20
Biometrics Appointment/Document Scanned: 13/11/20
Received Decision: 8/3/21 - APPROVED

ILR Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 30/08/23
Biometrics Appointment/Documents Scanned: 29/09/23
Received Decision: 24/11/23 APPROVED

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
Thanks, do you know if there's an expiration on the settlement visa? If I file now, or soon and continue to live in the US for another year is that ok?

The visa is valid for 27 months, and if you were not able to apply for ILR right away (i.e. if you had not been married for 4 years or more), then you would need to enter the UK within 3 months of the start date in order to meet the 2-year residency requirement for the ILR visa. However, because you can apply for ILR as soon as you have taken the KOL, it won't matter if you wait a while after receiving the visa.

However, having said that, in order to be granted the visa, you need to show proof of your accommodation in the UK (tenancy agreement/mortgage statements/letters from landlords/owners stating you have permission to live there), estimated living expenses in the UK once you have arrived, proof of ability to support yourselves while in the UK, job prospects/job offers in the UK etc. - and trying to provide all of this info before you have started planning the move and organising the details is likely to be difficult, because you may not have this information/evidence yet.

When filing your settlement visa application, if you hire a visa expediter to hand-deliver the application to the consulate, your visa can be approved in as little as 24-48 hours, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to apply closer to the date you wish to move. The visa can be postdated by up to 3 months, so you can apply for it 3 months before you want it to start (i.e. state on your application what date you want it to start on).

If the settlement visa is approved and we have moved by May of 2011 will that be enough time to take the KOL and apply for ILR before July?

You can currently apply for ILR either by post (currently £820) or in person (currently £1020). By post, it can take several weeks/months to be approved, but I would imagine that as long as you have sent your application before the rules change, you would be okay. An in-person application would give a same-day decision, but it costs £200 more to go in person and there can be waits of up to a few weeks for an available appointment.

Alternatively, if you can make it over to the UK for a visit in the next few months and take the KOL while you're there, you could apply for ILE directly from the US (without having to apply for the spousal visa with KOL Req'd visa first and then applying for ILR in the UK) and then you wouldn't be tied to the deadline of moving before the rules change in July 2011.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
The Settlement visa is good for 27 months to complete the new probationary period before being granted ILR.  I do know for fact that you have a 3 month "grace period" so to speak in which you have to enter the UK to validate your visa, so if you're not moving over soon after receiving your visa I wouldn't bother applying until you're ready to move unless you're going to be entering the UK, then leaving straight away or unless you want to spend more money potentially needing to renew the same visa before being eligible to apply for ILR if you've not completed your KOL...  Furthermore if you do enter the UK, then leave shortly after to validate your settlement visa and seek to apply for citizenship later on there is a limited amount of time that you can physically spend outside of the UK, so it may end up lengthening your time to attain citizenship.   :-\\\\

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersandfamilies/partners/indefiniteleavetoremain/ - also check out the last header of "Applying to settle here if you delayed your entry to the UK" for more information.

Good luck!

(x-posted with Ksand24)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab