Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Graduate Teacher Programme  (Read 1304 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Graduate Teacher Programme
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
Thanks for that, abercroft.  I definitely hear what you're saying about student behaviour.  It's why I never got qualified to teach secondary school before, I really don't want to have to deal with that.  Private language students, especially those learning English, are so hardworking and nice it's such a pleasure to teach them.  I used to teach French to university freshmen in the States, and while they usually behaved well in class, getting them to put any effort into their studies was like getting blood from a stone.  I am not keen on the disciplinary issues that you get in secondary schools.  But beggars can't be choosers and I need to think about getting some steady work.  I might see if I can sign up with an agency as you said and maybe someone will take me on as an unqualified teacher.  It's good to have options, at least, and in the summer there's lots of work at language schools, so I don't have to give that up completely. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 7
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
The agencies might be best as theu would be part time if you wanted and very flexible.
Another thought: higher level learning assistant, we use them for special education students. I don't think you need to be qualified as a teacher for that.
Also, most schools will hired those with a degree as cover supervisors. These are school staff that are called upon to teach a class when the teacher is off for a day or so. The agencies are called with longer term abcences, but use these for short term. I have done that also. Salary for that is about 14-16,000 p.a.Could be good for you.#
One other thought, my school has dedicated staff that speak other languages to help those kids that are from other countries and have no or little English. Depending on your language, you might do that too.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
One last, last idea:
Any school with a college in it's name is more like a community college in the States. Most owns ans cities have at least one, such as Bedford College (where I live), or Iknield College in Luton. Kids go there if after GSCEs if they want to still stuy but want to learn a more hands on subject such as construction. Some will say they are for the dumb kids that hate school and you will get a lot of that, but they do great work in that in between niche. Some like Iknield will concentrate mostly on one field- like Art.
They aften have languages and you don't need to be a teacher usually.
You can be salaried full or part time, or be a 'lecturer' and be paid by the class.
There the kids will be mature and much better behaved.
I hope for something like that for myself....
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
For the record, I do speak and write English well. I'm just not so good at typing when in a hurry! ;D ;D

Try www.jobsineducation.co.uk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:32:56 PM by abercroft »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
Thanks!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab