Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Houston to West Yorkshire  (Read 856 times)

• Journal
  • Liked: 0
Houston to West Yorkshire
« on: August 07, 2004, 01:48:37 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Victoria, and I moved to the UK on 18 June to be with my S.O.  We met online about two years ago, and decided to meet in person about 9 monhs later, without any sort of romantic interest.  Alas, I was denied entry for my visit, and then something funny happened- we both realised just how depressed we were that we didn't get to meet.  Awww....isn't that adorable.  :D  Anyway, we spent a week together in Amsterdam last August after doing the long-distance thing for a while, and then decided we'd start working towards a life together here in the UK.  Little less than a year later, here I am, over on a fiance visa and getting married next month.  Anyway, I've babbled on long enough.  Been lurking for a few days and have really liked everything I've seen here, so figured I'd register.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!  :) 
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

Re: Houston to West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 04:04:56 PM »
Victoria, welcome!!

I wanted to tell you that, in my time hanging around expats boards, yours is the first story I've followed from beginning to end.  You'd spent your time with our SO in Amsterdam at the time I saw your first posts. 

It's been quite a trip, and I'm so glad you're there with him and getting settled in!

Julie
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Journal
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 04:41:20 PM »
 :D  Ack!!  I have a stalker!!!  J/K   ;)

Yeah, I'm quite glad to be here and getting everything settled.  We're going down to Andover next month to get married and I'll be mailing off my FLR application!  Yay!  And then I'll *finally* be able to work.  It's driving me batty (not to mention making me feel a little guilty) that I'm not bringing any money in.  :)  The SO is fine with it and berates me for not relaxing- says I need to after my last job (70-75 hours a week I worked while organising the move), but I'll still feel better once I have a job.

So how are things going with your plans to get over here?  Was sorry to hear the petition didn't work out- any plans now?
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 06:59:09 PM »
:D  Ack!!  I have a stalker!!!  J/K   ;) 

lol -  ;D ;D

So how are things going with your plans to get over here?  Was sorry to hear the petition didn't work out- any plans now?

Things are going slowly but surely - I'm not a quitter.   ;)  Looking into become a university student - that will get me to the UK for a little while anyway...

UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Journal
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 11:39:05 PM »

lol -  ;D ;D

Things are going slowly but surely - I'm not a quitter.   ;)  Looking into become a university student - that will get me to the UK for a little while anyway...

Oooh....University sounds like a great idea.  What kinds of classes are you looking at taking?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:58:04 PM »
Welcome Victoria. What part of W Yorks are you moving to?

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Journal
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 03:00:12 PM »
Hi Ashley.  Thanks for the welcome.  I actually am already here.  I live in Keighley, a little town about 10 miles away from Leeds. 

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 05:34:18 PM »
I know of it. I've never been there but I've seen the name. I live in Leeds! We'll have to see about meeting up for a drink sometime.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Journal
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 06:05:50 PM »
It's an alright town, apart from that lovely BBC documentary about the BNP.   :-[ >:(  Most people here aren't like that at all.  It's certainly quite a gear-shift, though, going from a city of 2 million+ to a small town of 65,000.  You mean stores actually close here?  :D

Yeah, we'll definitely have to meet up for a drink sometime.  :) 

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 11:53:08 AM »

Hiya Victoria,welcome to our humble abode  ;D.Glad things are working out now for you and your sweetie

Rhia

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 10:21:17 PM »
What a nice story!  Welcome Victoria and I hope to read more of your posts!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Journal
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 04:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Rhia and vnicepeeps!  :)

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 04:24:16 PM »
Hi Victoria, welcome!!!!  I love your story!!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 07:47:58 PM »
Lucky you :P...I'm still stuck living in Houston. Welcome to UKY. :)

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 08:42:14 PM »
Good luck with everything Vic....I am from New Orleans and I am living in Wales....I hope that as soon as you are eligible that you can find a job to ease your boredom and financial guilt!!!!!I have not been so lucky ....After paying 250 for a fiancee visa and then paying the same amount for a marriage visa...I am able to work, but have not bee nable to find anything in my field..(EDUCATION)...I hope that everything works out for you sweetie!!!
Living in Wales...originally from New Orleans, 28 years old.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab