Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US XBOX & Wii  (Read 961 times)

• Liked: 0
US XBOX & Wii
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
We have brought over our US XBOX 360 and Wii systems and games, which are numerous.  Do we have to have a multisystem/international TV to play these on or will they work on any TV we purchase here in the UK?

I've also read conflicting information on plugs/cords.  The bricks on each state they go up to 240v, so can I just use a plug converter to plug them in, or do I need to purchase different cords all together?

Thanks for the help!

Laurie

Re: US XBOX & Wii
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
I had to ask my DH about this one. Your games consoles will work with the UK tvs, but they  might not work with games from the UK. Some 360 games are region coded, some aren't. He says that the best thing to do is try them out to know for sure. Additionally, not a lot of stores will be able to take games from the States for trade-ins. For cords, I got a little converter attachment for my personal dvd player from the States, but I know games consoles take up lots more. He's got a tower for everything in our living room! Any more questions, PM me and I'll ask. Cheesebiscuit's also a gamer, so, she'll have more answers, I'm sure! ;D
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
We bought a voltage converter for my son's wii, and it works a dream! His DS and PS2 just needed to have a UK adapter and they work fine without the voltage adapter. Not sure about the xbox.. ours is a UK one.
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
I bought a Wii U.K. power supply adapter online (Amazon has a few), switched it out from our American one and it works like a charm. No problems whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:13:09 AM »
I had to ask my DH about this one. Your games consoles will work with the UK tvs, but they  might not work with games from the UK. Some 360 games are region coded, some aren't. He says that the best thing to do is try them out to know for sure. Additionally, not a lot of stores will be able to take games from the States for trade-ins. For cords, I got a little converter attachment for my personal dvd player from the States, but I know games consoles take up lots more. He's got a tower for everything in our living room! Any more questions, PM me and I'll ask. Cheesebiscuit's also a gamer, so, she'll have more answers, I'm sure! ;D

I'm not a gamer, I'm a games producer  ;)

:)

Basically - You need to get a step up transformer for the 360, don't trust that you can just get  a plug adaptor, it will eventually explode or melt, they run hot at the best of times. I always recommend selling 360s before you move because they're a pain and not that expensive to re buy.

You also can't use the RROD exchange service out of frankfurt for a US 360 and it will go at some point, including the new Slims, they don't RROD but they do just stop working, we've had 3 go already. Nearly all games for 360 are region locked to NTSC (UK is PAL). Your MS points are region locked so you can't buy them in store but you can still buy them via the guide.

The original AC adapter that comes with the Nintendo Wii again is not dual voltage. However, you can purchase a 3rd party 110-220 volt ac adapter specifically for the Wii from places like Amazon or use a step up transformer again. Wii games are mostly region locked. This can be gotten around with some googling (bit dodgy).

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
I'm not a gamer, I'm a games producer  ;)

:)

Basically - You need to get a step up transformer for the 360, don't trust that you can just get  a plug adaptor, it will eventually explode or melt, they run hot at the best of times. I always recommend selling 360s before you move because they're a pain and not that expensive to re buy.

You also can't use the RROD exchange service out of frankfurt for a US 360 and it will go at some point, including the new Slims, they don't RROD but they do just stop working, we've had 3 go already. Nearly all games for 360 are region locked to NTSC (UK is PAL). Your MS points are region locked so you can't buy them in store but you can still buy them via the guide.

The original AC adapter that comes with the Nintendo Wii again is not dual voltage. However, you can purchase a 3rd party 110-220 volt ac adapter specifically for the Wii from places like Amazon or use a step up transformer again. Wii games are mostly region locked. This can be gotten around with some googling (bit dodgy).

Oops, sorry, Cheesebiscuit. I probably should've left the question alone, really, now that I've read your actual reply. *cringe!*  :-[ Sorry, abbyplustwins!

Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

Sponsored Links