Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Last Weeks/Days in US Was it like you thought it would be?  (Read 1429 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: Last Weeks/Days in US Was it like you thought it would be?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
My husband loves Tom Petty!  It's one of the things we bonded over when we first met!

Wow! I haven't met anyone over here who knows him. I also haven't met any Brits who know Janis Joplin and only a couple who have heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn (both play guitar, so I guess that's why.)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
My husband loves Tom Petty!  It's one of the things we bonded over when we first met!
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was the first concert I ever went to, I was 14!

Wow! I haven't met anyone over here who knows him. I also haven't met any Brits who know Janis Joplin and only a couple who have heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn (both play guitar, so I guess that's why.)
Wow--not know who Janis Joplin is?  To me that's almost as bad as not knowing who Jimmie Hendrix is!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »

*puts up hand*

I know all about Janis Joplin, Tom Petty (although I'm not much of a Petty fan) and ALL about SRV. I also have a big place in my heart for John Hiatt and other alt country type stuff.

My boy is into all that as well (he is from Austin!), he was ranting the other day as some kid on a guitar forum only knew about SRV from Guitar Hero :) We're both vinyl addicts, and while we're more likely to listen to Postal Service or TheXX I have loads of those albums on vinyl, mostly as reissues but as classics when I find good copies/can afford them :)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
*puts up hand*

I know all about Janis Joplin, Tom Petty (although I'm not much of a Petty fan) and ALL about SRV. I also have a big place in my heart for John Hiatt and other alt country type stuff.

My boy is into all that as well (he is from Austin!), he was ranting the other day as some kid on a guitar forum only knew about SRV from Guitar Hero :) We're both vinyl addicts, and while we're more likely to listen to Postal Service or TheXX I have loads of those albums on vinyl, mostly as reissues but as classics when I find good copies/can afford them :)

I just gave you a rep point for being one of the coolest Brits I know.  :)

Wow--not know who Janis Joplin is?  To me that's almost as bad as not knowing who Jimmie Hendrix is!

I know... and being that she and I are both Texans, I took it personally that people here have no idea who she is. I was a bit tipsy the night I figured that out and kept going on and on about what a shame it was that the people I was with had no idea who she was. I'm pretty sure I should've let it go.  :P

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »
You don't have to live like a refugeeeeee.....
Now I've got that Tom Petty song stuck in my head and I've yet to meet anyone here who even knows who Tom Petty is.  :P

LMAO!  That song by Tom Petty has been in my head-- well ever since we sold are washer/dryer and fridge 3 weeks ago!  I feel like I'm camping out or sqatting in my house right now.  There's suitcases every where, clothes strewn out of the suitcases, only my bed and our couch.  SO that song is constantly on my mind... ;D

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
Julie.bug, I know it's not ideal, but is it possible for your husband to go on ahead of you while you wait for your visa?  That way, he could start his job without any further delays.  Or has he done that already?  I just remember you saying that his employer was concerned about him not being able to start when they wanted him to...
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Julie.bug, I know it's not ideal, but is it possible for your husband to go on ahead of you while you wait for your visa?  That way, he could start his job without any further delays.  Or has he done that already?  I just remember you saying that his employer was concerned about him not being able to start when they wanted him to...

No, he's still here with me and not too happy about it!  We never anticipated this long of a wait after all the other hitches we encountered.  We sent all originals in on the passports because we truely thought that when we sent out the application 2 weeks ago the the expediter that it would just be easy peasy and quick.  I have asked this question on another thread but I'll go ahead and ask it again...Any chance the expediter might be able to pull his passport for us, copy it and sent it to us?  Will that delay my application further?  Another option I have been given is to fax a letter to the consulate stating that due to personal reasons, I need my dh's passport back so he can go to his job and take care of his parents.  Yet, we're afraid of appealing to them in such a manner that it may put them off processing it.   ???

Sponsored Links