Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Annoying father in law  (Read 1610 times)

• Liked: 0
Annoying father in law
« on: June 08, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »
My father in law always refers to me as a yank and all Americans as Yanks. Is this deragatory?  I sure don't like it.  My husband says people of his background (he's in his 90s) always call Americans that.  He also stated that Americans pronounce certain words wrong. It is so irriatating!

• Liked: 1
Re: Annoying father in law
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
With a guy that old, I'd probably just put up with it and keep my mouth shut (which is saying a lot for me, because I usually speak my mind!) As awful as this sounds (please don't take this as cold or callous!), also at that age, you probably won't have to deal with it for much longer....
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
With a guy that old, I'd probably just put up with it and keep my mouth shut (which is saying a lot for me, because I usually speak my mind!) As awful as this sounds (please don't take this as cold or callous!), also at that age, you probably won't have to deal with it for much longer....

LOL ;D Cute.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
You are probably right but he's 95 and like a Timex watch ... keeps on ticking!  However, he is deaf now so he doesn't talk as much. An aside, he has fallen out with my husband's brother in law and his own sister.

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
Hmmm, well, we've had several friends try to affectionately attach the nickname "the yank" to me, but this is in a nickname heavy group (so far, I'm basically the only one who has proved impervious) and I know it was out of love. Is it the way he says it? Can you decide to just let it sort of bounce off? I agree with the others that there's likely no changing him at this point--deafness is difficult to deal with, for everyone, though, and I feel for you with that.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
No, it's not used as a nickname and the way he uses it is definitely not loving. He uses expressions like "you yanks"

• Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
I think its one of those sayings where you take it as you want to. I don't have any problem being called a Yank, or even "You Yanks" but I do find being called "Yankee Doodle Dandy" to be quite offensive. Yank doesn't bother me at all.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
An aside, he has fallen out with my husband's brother in law and his own sister.

It sounds like you might not be alone in your annoyance!   ;)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »

I agree with this. I would just ignore his comments as best I could. My grandfather is old and makes racist remarks in my presence sometimes, which really bothers me, but I see no point in arguing with him about it. He is in his 80s and is never going to change, plus I don't see him very often anyway and would rather not spend that time arguing and upsetting an old man with a heart condition. I do still love him, in spite of his ignorance. So if it were me, I'd just chalk it up him being old and ornery and leave it be.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
It sounds like you might not be alone in your annoyance!   ;)

That's very true. There is a small club of us including his own daughters!

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
Your FIL lived through and probably participated in World War II.  American military were often referred to as Yanks.  Maybe that's where he gets it.  If I were in your shoes, I would either rise above it, discuss the matter with my DH and ask him to speak to his father, or I would have a little chat with the FIL and explain that I would prefer to be called by my name.  If he can't hear you, write him a nice note!
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
Helen Keller

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab