Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: is this considered blackmail?  (Read 1708 times)

is this considered blackmail?
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
I am going through a divorce at the moment. He was sent a letter of acknowledgment over a month ago,the letter needs to be signed by him so the divorce can be completed by the courts. but today has just informed me he wont sign anything unless I pay him money.
Is this illegal for him to do? Or can he get away with this?

• Liked: 2
Re: is this considered blackmail?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
aww Ink!
Where is the divorce taking place? country?
Laws vary..
Sounds like alimoney or blackmail or just him being a POS...

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
That's not on.  >:(

Do you have a lawyer you consult about his statement?
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
we are both in the UK
I have a solicitor,but I jsut wanted to make sure whether its illegal or not before I contact her, since that will be yet more money I have to pay out to her for this divorce

Its not alimony or anything like that. Its basically a "Give me money or else I wont sign" type of thing

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »
I don't think it's illegal. Blackmail is when you know something about a person that would damage them if revealed, and you threaten to reveal it if they don't pay you. But like blackmail, I think it might be unwise to pay, since he might keep asking for more, and the divorce might be as far away as ever. If you have evidence that he is asking for this money, the solicitor might be able to use this to help your case.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:02:27 PM by Trémula »

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
Could this be classified as extortion? If so then yes it's illegal.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
Could this be classified as extortion? If so then yes it's illegal.

This is definitely extortion. It is illegal so alert your solicitor.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
Ok thanks. Luckily, its all in emails so Ive got the proof

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
I don't think that asking for money to agree to a divorce is actually illegal. Blackmail is demanding something from someone and then gaining from this demand. The demand must be unwarranted and ‘with menaces’ – a threat from the blackmailer to do something for not agreeing to the demand. The threat doesn’t have to be something illegal and doesn’t even have to be true. An example would be demanding £200 from someone in order to refrain from telling the world of their past adultery, previous criminal record or adultery.

There is a defence if the demand is made on reasonable grounds and the threat is a proper way to make the demand. This exists to cover those chasing legal debts such as banks when they send letters threatening repossession of a home unless they get paid.

Extortion is similar to blackmail. It involves obtaining money, property or services from another through threats of physical harm: “pay up or else” is an example. Protection rackets are a form of extortion.

Neither of these covers the situation described. The guy doesn't have to agree to the divorce, and repehensible though his conduct undoubtedly is, he has not actually made any threat to cause harm, moral, physical or financial, unless money is paid to him.

E-mail is a form of documentary evidence and can be admitted as evidence in court in the same way as can other forms of documentary evidence.  However, as with other forms of evidence, the reliability of e-mail evidence will be subject to scrutiny.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
I believe in the UK he can not sign but then you have to wait 2 years to do it again? Screw it dont pay him!

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »
It sounds like extortion to me.  Any financial requests should be relayed from his lawyer to yours.  Your lawyer can then discuss them with you.  I hope you have discussed this with your lawyer.  He or she would probably be the best person to advise you.  I'd not pay him.   

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 02:38:10 AM »
Pay him? To divorce you? I think not.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »
I believe in the UK he can not sign but then you have to wait 2 years to do it again? Screw it dont pay him!

Under UK law a couple can divorce after 2 years of separation if both agree or 5 years otherwise.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »
Talk to your lawyer ASAP and show them the emails, Ink.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links