Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Samsung Ch@t phone?  (Read 844 times)

• Liked: 31
Samsung Ch@t phone?
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »
In need of some advice/info! I currently have the world's most craptastic phone, Alcatel OT-708. I want to get a new phone for my Orange PAYG SIM card, and my main requirements are quad band and wifi. I don't want anything fancy or expensive, but I do want something functional that will last me for a few years. I've mostly been looking at Nokias, but today in a phone shop I was recommended the Samsung Ch@t. Despite the stupid gimmicky name, I'm considering it because I can get it for £50, it seems to fit my needs, and the woman in the shop said that Samsung used to be rubbish but now they're really good, on a par with Nokia, and this particular handset has been really popular since it came out last year. I've also read several online reviews that are quite positive, but they all seem to be from the under 18 set and I don't think we have the same requirements ;) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this phone, or with Samsung phones generally in recent times. Are they really on a par with Nokias these days? Is this phone worthwhile? I don't want to get stuck in the situation I have with this Alcatel phone where it's total rubbish but I end up stuck with it. TIA!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 14
Re: Samsung Ch@t phone?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:50:53 AM »
Sorry canna help you with the samsung.. I have a Sony Erisson Xperia X10 and I love it.. Its one of the Android phones. lots of fun apps you can get. I have mine on a monthly plan so no idea about PAYG cost.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:31:25 AM »
As you may know it is a Korean brand and they are very good quality. I have had several Sansum phones (want a draw full? ;D) and they are good. No knowlege of your model, that you are looking at, but I'm sure they back it up. They are into its seems lots of things including refrigerators. You probably knew that?

• Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:17 AM »
Hiya

To help you make a shortlist of phones, you'll need to do some background research and evaluations. For instance, you mention you want Quad band, and Wifi. Quad band I understand in that you can take the handset to the US and plug in any US carrier that uses SIM cards and use the phone. For wifi, what's the requirement there? is it simply to connect to your home wifi router and sync/swap and move files ? do you wish to connect to your home network in order to connect to spacefacemybook?, browse your local media collection? read emails off your home PC?! connect at Starbucks/Mcdonalds to read news web surfing etc?!

Pending that, are things like screen size, memory capacity, media playback, etc important ?

There's many phones and handsets geared to various aspects if you want such a product. I've read quite good things about the Orange San Francisco for instance, £100 on PAYG get's like 3 out of 5 stars for reviews..  take a look at that?

To help you, here's a few links

http://www.latestmobiledeals4u.co.uk/
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/browse/rating/mobile-phones/mobile/blue/n-6k1-6lk-1z0zl15/
http://www.t3.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones

Samsung are a massive company, covering many industry sectors and have been around 70 years. Their electronics is perhaps what they're best known for in the public eye and their reputation and quality of products have improved substantially in recent years.

do take a look around at other handsets and compare pricing etc on the link above.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough, UK!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
My first Samsung, e315, was garbage, so I became a Nokia fan.  When my contract came up for renewal last year, the only Nokia they had that I liked turned out to be defective.  I switched to a Samsung Comeback and have been very happy.  My daughter is a Samsung fan and has had their Gravity, Highlight and Behold.  She's liked all of them.  Samsung has come a long way in the last few years.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
I ended up buying this phone yesterday, and it's great! Really easy to use and a million times better than my old phone. Thanks for the comments!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab