Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anybody quilt?  (Read 1780 times)

Anybody quilt?
« on: July 26, 2004, 07:18:41 PM »
Since my brain seems to have said "Goodbye" for the time being as far as reading at writing goes (can't get into books, can't write a word) I've been getting really into crafty projects.  I've always wanted to try quilting but to be honest I haven't the faintest idea where to start or how difficult it actually is.

Does anyone here do it?  Do you have any advice for someone who honestly hasn't the faintest clue about what she's doing?

I'm generally pretty good with my hands, so I'm fairly confident that I can do a decent job, but it's daunting.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anybody quilt?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 07:37:15 PM »
Hi Saf,

I've recently given quilting a go for the first time too.  My first project, a quilted, harlequin-style table runner was really fun to make.  It's not perfect, but not bad for a first try.

I don't know where you live, but I found a quilting shop that has workshops and a good selection of quilting fabrics.  You could also stock up on on fabrics durng a trip to US where it's cheaper.  But the shop I go to here actually holds classes for all skill levels, from first-timers to people who want to design their own.  I'd recommend going to one if possible to get the basics.  It's also a fun way to meet people.  Quilting is growing in popularity here so look around for a shop near you.

If you're cutting your own fabric, rather than using a ready made kit, you'll need a few good supplies.  There are cutting tools (they look like a pizza cutter) for getting straight, clean edges.  And you'd need a special ruler for measuring out your pieces accurately.  They come in different sizes and show angles.  Cutting your pieces is important or the whole design will be off.

One of the things recommended to me by the quilt shop was a special foot attachment for sewing machines which helps feed the layers in evenly.  This prevents the bottom layer from pulling and puckering, which was my biggest problem.  I don't have this attachment, but will definitely get one.

I really, really enjoyed it and I started on my next project already.  It's really theraputic.  I've always loved making things.  I'm sure a more experienced quilter could give you much more advice than me, but this is what I experienced after one day just decideding to give it a go.

Enjoy!

Kellie
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:37:04 PM »
I love quilting!!  I've not done much while in the UK, but I have looked at the craft shops and they have a lot of great matterials.

My eldest sister posts on a few quilting forums, one of which does square-swaps.  She said there are a couple of gals from the UK on the board who are always looking for new people to swap matterials with.  Give your search engine a task and look for some local quilting forums...I'm sure you will find something.  You could probably even find some really nice patterns on line.

Good luck and happy binding!!!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:59:38 PM »
I keep wanting to give quilting a try...and even know the pattern I want to use for my first project...a maple leaf.  ;)

I was planning to make a blanket, but I'm now thinking that maybe making a trial run (using the maple leaf pattern, but making only two squares of the leaf itself and using it to make a bag...) would be my best option. 

Good luck in your attempt!
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 07:39:36 PM »
But I don't even know how to start.  I mean, do you make squares that are little pieces sewn together, or do you sew the pattern together for each square then stitch it onto the square, or what?  And also, what is bias?  Is it fabric, or thread?  I saw a pattern where they talked a lot about "using the bias" to make patterns.  But I haven't seen bias in the store.  I know about clothes "cut on the bias" but somehow I doubt it's the same thing.

Sigh.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:06:10 PM »
A quilt sqaure is often made with several smaller pieces of fabric, then each square is connected to one another.  After the squares are attached, you sew on a backing (generally a solid piece of fabric) with "batting" (foamy cotton or cushion of some type) in between.

Try a simple square to begin with.  Cut strips of fabric, say three per square, then sew them all together so that there are three "stripes" in the square.  So, for a 6" square, you would need it to be 6.5" total inches, giving 1/4" for the "seams".  If you make each strip 6.5" X 2.5" and sew everything with 1/4" seams you should get there...

I hope this is making sense...

Once you have 9 "simple" squares, sew them together so that you have three rows of three.  Then, pick up some "batting" at a sewing shop and some solid matterial...someone there sould be able to explain how to edge them together better than I can in this forum.

After everything is together, you can either "quilt" it or "tie" it.  Tieing is easier until you get the hang of it.  To tie it, take either yarn or an embroidery floss and make little ties in the quilt everywhere that there is a "corner" where the squares meet.

To cut fabric, the BEST way is to use a rotary cutter, much like a razor-blade pizza cutter (availble at fabric stores) and a nice cutting board...again, they may be able to give you some tips there, too.

I hope that this serves of some help, rather than as a form of confussion.  Please let me know if you need better help...my eldest sister would probably know the best places to look on line for help and may even be willing to email you with help and tips too....

Good luck!!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 08:25:29 PM »
Also...there are some promising looking books on amazon...

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 08:29:08 PM »
But I don't even know how to start.  I mean, do you make squares that are little pieces sewn together, or do you sew the pattern together for each square then stitch it onto the square, or what?

When starting out, I would suggest following a simple pattern.  Depending upon the pattern, you cut out the shapes (i.e. squares, triangles, etc.) and then assemble them by sewing together one at a time.

For instance, I started with a harlequin table runner.  Here is a very simplified description of what I did. (I followed the pattern from an arts 'n crafts book)  I hope it makes sense because it's hard to describe without visuals: 

First, I cut all of the fabric shapes according to the instructions:  squares, triangles and strips for the borders.  The squares were sewn together into row, with a triangle on the ends.  Then the rows were placed on a diagonal and were sewn together.  The border strips were then sewn around the edges and  the front piece was done.  Use 1/4" seams and press the seams flat.  (They need to be pressed in a particular direction)

After that, the back and the wadding (batting) were cut to the same size as the front.  Then place the front and back with right sides together and sew the seams together around the edges, leaving a gap to insert the wadding.  Turn inside out, insert the wadding and stitch the gap closed.  Once this is done, you then stitch in the ditches, which is sewing into the seams where the pieces have been joined.

I hope that isn't confusing.  Let me know if something doesn't make sense.  I really would recommend a very basic pattern to start out with.  It'll give you a good idea of how it all works and is assembled.

The patterns I've used aren't advanced.  Some of these patterns have applique work.  I'm working on one now where the appliques are applied to a square before you start sewing the squares together.  The appliques are cut using paperbacked bonding stuff that you fuse with a hot iron.  Then you go around the edges with satin stitch.

I have no idea what using the bias, in quilting terms, means.  I'm new to this this too and would interested to know.  When I'm back in the US, I plan to find someplace that does quilting classes or workshops because I've taken to it.

Saf, it's really fun.  You sound crafty and it is very theraputic.    Do you have a good craft or fabric store nearby where you could find some patterns, books or kits?

Good luck!
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• American Gal, living in France, moving to UK-SOON!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 07:01:16 PM »
Saf.... fret not... there are legions of places to learn about quilting, ON the internet. You could start by going to www.about.com They have a wealth of different topics with ooodles of information for beginners, all the way up to advanced quilters. Then, there are legions of books on quilting.

Get yourself

Rotary Cutter
Cutting Board
Good fabric, preferably 100% cotton: NO polyester (and don't skimp if you want it to last)
Batting (the stuff that goes inside the quilt)
Quilting Needles
Basting pins

and have a ball!

PitterPat

My one piece of advice: START small! I took a class many moons ago, at my local quilt shop in south Florida.... and the woman actually let me start on a KING SIZED quilt! Needless to say, that quilt is still not done!   ::)
American... married to Yorkshire Brit... Need I say more?

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 12:50:08 AM »
Ohhh, this looks cool.  I always wanted to be crafty!  Cool!!!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 01:21:43 PM »
Maybe we could start a stich & b*tch club... ;D

wench

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 07:47:45 AM »
That sounds like a plan to me, wenchy!  ;D

I've been wanting to start quilting for ages!

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 06:02:48 PM »
I suppose in my case it would be more of "B*tch about stitching" hehehe.  I have no skill lol!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab