Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So frustrated with the in-laws  (Read 1841 times)

• Liked: 8
So frustrated with the in-laws
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
Background: I'm the USC, married to my UKC, and we have been here in England with our two DDs for three years now. We literally live in the in-laws back yard. We go weeks without seeing them. They do not help at all with the girls. No Sunday dinners, no babysitting, nada.

DH wanted to reach out and try to make an effort to keep some sort of relationship going, so he talked me in to having them over for dinner tonight. They accepted, declined, and re-accepted, all in the past week.

So I decided that I was going to make sure it was a great, traditional Thanksgiving. I found a butcher who would order me a turkey this early. I ordered the canned pumpkin off the internet, because we don't have any groceries nearby that carry it. I bought artisan bread and cubed and dried it for homemade stuffing. I found a recipe for homemade poultry seasoning and made it. I stayed up til midnight last night making pie, because I was busy in the evening taking DD to A&E to get her lip glued back together where she put her teeth right through it when she fell down. And somewhere between doing the school runs today, I got the turkey in and tidied the house.

And AN HOUR before we were supposed to have dinner, my FIL knocked on the door. He'd been out walking the dog.

And told me they wouldn't be coming. Because he didn't 'feel well'. 

Would anyone like some really nice sausage apple and pecan stuffing and a slice of pumpkin pie? I have plenty.

• Liked: 134
Re: So frustrated with the in-laws
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
Oh man, that sounds just awful!  I am so sorry that that happened to you.  I hope that you and your family still managed to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal.  xx
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 4991
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
I am so so sorry.  I hope your family still managed to have a nice Thanksgiving.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:05 AM »
DH wanted to reach out and try to make an effort to keep some sort of relationship going, so he talked me in to having them over for dinner tonight.

Well that was nice of him.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Gosh, I can't believe they did that! I hope you could enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner nonetheless.

I have a difficult father in law, and decided a long time ago that it was better for my mental health not to have any contact with him. Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
Thanks all! We did wind up having a really nice evening, called some shift-worker friends who were heading home late, and told them to stop in - chilled some more wine and wound up having a much better time than we would have originally.
It just pisses me off that we make an effort and get blown off, yet we'll be expected to not only jump, but ask 'how high', when the picture-perfect family Christmas dinner is held.
Picture-perfect on the outside. Inside they're all freakin' nuts.

• Liked: 544
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
I hope you had a great Christmas and it wasn't too onerous with the inlaws.

Are you still up for grabbing a coffee sometime soon?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »
We got through Christmas with lots of smiling and head shaking and Thank God our DDs have a 7pm bedtime so we had an excuse to get the hell out! ;)

I am ALWAYS up for coffee!! PM me! Thanks!

• Liked: 544
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
I can definitely understand that one! I'm glad to hear it wasn't too much of a pain. *smiles*

I'll send you a message the next time I'm heading up to Derby and we'll see if we can't set up a coffee meet!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab