Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving my dog to the UK with me  (Read 1582 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving my dog to the UK with me
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »
My fiance, newborn and I are heading back to the UK from Florida at the end of April, our newborn and I are only going for 6 months to get things settled there and then coming back to visit my family, and file for the proper visas. We are however traveling with one of our dogs this April so we have her over there with us, she weighs approx 65-70 lbs. She's a Blue Heeler mix. She's primarily my fiances dog so he's very anxious to have her back there in the UK with him.

We're going to bring her in to get her vaccines and microchip done within the next week or two, then work on her certificate. Can anyone help me, what's the exact things we need to get done for her? Also, what airlines are the best/cheapest for dog travel? How much estimation wise should we plan for?

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Moving my dog to the UK with me
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/
What you need to do if you are entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries
Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
    Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date.
    Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after vaccination. There is no exemption from this requirement: If a blood test was carried out without the 30-day interval (which would have been acceptable prior to January 2012), a further blood test will have to be carried out. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result. The three month waiting period will not apply if your pet was vaccinated and blood tested in the EU and issued with an EU pet passport before it went to an unlisted country. When calculating the waiting periods between vaccination and blood test, and between blood test and entry into the UK, the date that the vaccination or blood test was carried out is counted as day 0 and not day 1.
    Step 4 – Get pet travel documentation –You will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate.
    Step 5 – Tapeworm treatment (dogs only) – before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway).
    Step 6 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
You'll have to check who the approved carriers are and that will determine how you get your pet to the UK. 

http://www.defra.gov.uk/files/pets-air-routes1.pdf
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
There isn't any one airline that's cheaper than others. They all have various fees (some quotes include all the costs, some don't and then you have to pay handling fees on the UK side). Quotes depend on the dimensions of the kennel your dog will be in, and the weight of your dog as well. Check the approved airlines for the route(s) you can travel with, and call them for quotes.

You probably won't be able to book your dog on the flight until 2 weeks beforehand, but at least you can get a sense of how much you'll pay now. FWIW, I paid just over $2,200 back in April 2010 to move my 60lb lab mix dog and 12lb DSH cat from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow with British Airways. I think about $500 of that was the cat, so my 60lb dog was ~$1,700. Prices have almost certainly changed since then, but I don't know by how much.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
I'm not sure where you are moving too but the clearance fees were about half if you use Manchester Animal reception vs London- at least they were about a year ago.  However the animal must fly accompanied into Manchester unlike some of the airlines approved for London.  We paid about $1000 for our 20lb cocker spaniel total into Manchester and was quoted about $1500 for Heathrow.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab