Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sensitive cats and flying  (Read 3272 times)

• Me and my Brit
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sensitive cats and flying
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »
You may have to double check me for sure, but I'm pretty certain I read on the PETS website that you can not carry the animal with you in the passenger compartment.   :\\\'(

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
It might very well be that PETS prohibits pets as carry-ons; I learn something new about this thing every day.

At any rate, even aside from that issue, most airlines require a certain amount of room for the cat to be able to "sit up, turn around, and stretch out" comfortably. At the same time, the carrier has to fit underneath the seat in front of you. Only a tiny kitten would be able to sit up properly underneath an airplane seat. We've been able to fudge it in the US because the flight is so short, but I don't think I'd dare trans-Atlantic. Also there's the issue of drinking water and peeing -- extremely difficult as carry-on.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 03:24:23 PM »
Ya know on the pets european program they can fly in the cabin IF you fly direct to France, then you are able to transport then across the ferry. But thats more time consuming and you then have to sort out transport to UK. Also like you said if the cat is 15 lbs. he /she wouldnt be very comfortable cramped up for that long. Flying direct into UK they have to arrive in cargo. The QE2 will transport pets in a special kennel area for a nice cruise across the Atlantic but DEFRA hasnt approved them yet. They are working on it but dont know how long it may take. Sounds pricey but its only a few hundred more than a flight and like a nice holiday in itself. You can visit the kennels anytime and keep your pet company....Yes, sadly I have been checking all options cause I'm scared to death of my dog flying!!
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 07:57:41 AM »
I thought the only time an airline would take issue with sedating a pet was if the animal was oversedated (just the other night, on the show "Airport," one of the animal handlers at Heathrow mentioned a cat appearing oversedated, but didn't say anything about sedation itself being against policy). I think it must be a matter of a particular airline's rules, particularly if a vet can confirm that the animal is at a safe medication level. I can understand the drop-in-blood-pressure concern, but sedated animals being more at risk for broken bones seems counterintuitive. Just as doctors say, for instance, that someone who's had a few drinks and fallen down a flight of stairs or something would fare better because his or her body was more relaxed (that is, not tensed up in reaction to falling), I'd think it would be the same for animals in turbulence. But who knows--any vets out there?

Also, I don't know what the rules of carrying animals onboard are anymore, but six or so years ago, one of my brothers had a German girlfriend who used to fly back and forth with her rat terrier (what a name--they're very similar to Jack Russell terriers, but slightly smaller) on board with her.  Of course, all the rules could have changed by now. Anyway, if you haven't done so already, check out all the airlines, instead of the one (or ones) you've been used to flying with. You never know...

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 08:36:25 AM »
Anyway, if you haven't done so already, check out all the airlines, instead of the one (or ones) you've been used to flying with. You never know...

I flew over on British Airways and found all of their rules regarding moving pets online. It was all very clear and easy to follow -- not only stuff about sedation (they said no), but also what size carrier my cat would have to be in, etc. I'm sure all the other airlines have similar online info.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 04:58:45 PM »
I found this article about nervous pets and wonder if anyone has heard of 'rescue remedy'. Huh, I think I'll ask my vet. It would be great to have an all natural product to calm them down. Oh well, I thought someone might be interested.

http://www.companionair.com/behaviorist.php
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 11:13:21 PM »
The reason that sedation is not allowed is that any animal under sedation needs to observed, as they are in a vet's office after surgery,etc. It is never safe to give an animal a sedative and leave them unattended, ie putting them in cargo for 10+ hours. They can have all of the probs listed above in addition to having respiratory problems and no one is there to help them. The injuries to sedated animals caused by turbulence may indeed seem counterintuitive but are nonetheless true. The PETS scheme literature that I have read says that sedation is strongly discouraged and airlines in the US don't allow it anyway. I would assume that the animal on Airline was not a PETS scheme animal or was not travelling from the US.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:15:47 PM by augie »
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 03:33:19 PM »
I did lots of research on the net and also had my vet check extensively about 'rescue remedy'. It is not a sedative. It is a totally safe herbal and natural stress reducer. Used for many years safely for pets. There are no side effects and it doesnt make them drowsy. My vet spoke to a lady here who rescues abandoned and stray animals and she uses it all the time just to mildly relax the animals. Its certainly not strong like a sedative but definitely just helps them to relax naturaly. It wouldnt be any different really than a human taking St john's wort or something. Anyway just wanted to mention this. My vet suggested I try it on up coming July 4 (fireworks, My dog is terrified of them) then I can see for myself if it helps to reduce his stress level any. But if anyones is interested as far as nervous pets traveling...Do a search and check with your vet. Hope it works!

Re: Re: Sensitive cats and flying
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »
Hi, all. My two kittens (Jackson and Frida) arrived today in London (I sent them via Virgin Atlantic in NYC yesterday) and were met by my wife. She said they look a bit haggard and scared. She has them tonight at her friend's where she is staying temporarily until tomorrow when she begins subletting a studio apt for three weeks (after which we hope to know more about my visa status and whether or not we should go ahead and rent a bigger place.

My question is this - do you have any tips for best helping Jack and Frida adjust without further traumatizing them? I worry that it's going to be tough with the flight, and the instability for the
next month or so.

What are some things you all have found works in helping pets settle in and feel safe? I will bring all their toys, etc. when I come, but am wondering of I should just go ahead and ship them so they have them.

Thanks!
Karen
23 July 2013 - sent package to UKBA in Sheffield.
25 July2013 - package received at UKBA
7 August 2013 - received emails saying Visa being processed, and needing a Fed-Ex account number

• Liked: 82
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
Hi KGrace, My kitty arrived last week and was super scared.  DH just left her alone until she was ok. Made sure she had plenty of food and water in the room she was hiding in.  I arrived yesterday and DH says she is a million times better now.  Good luck!!!!

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
Just an update! The kittens made it safe and sound, and have moved into the new place with my wife. One seems to be doing better than the other, but Jack is a bit anxious, and playing in the litter a lot more than normal. Frida, the one we thought would have the bigger issues, is just happy to be near my wife (I think she prefers my wife and Jack prefers me - not in a bad way, but more in a "primary caregiver" kind of way).

I think with time, and stability in the housing situation, they'll be okay:)
23 July 2013 - sent package to UKBA in Sheffield.
25 July2013 - package received at UKBA
7 August 2013 - received emails saying Visa being processed, and needing a Fed-Ex account number

• Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
Just an update! The kittens made it safe and sound, and have moved into the new place with my wife. One seems to be doing better than the other, but Jack is a bit anxious, and playing in the litter a lot more than normal. Frida, the one we thought would have the bigger issues, is just happy to be near my wife (I think she prefers my wife and Jack prefers me - not in a bad way, but more in a "primary caregiver" kind of way).

I think with time, and stability in the housing situation, they'll be okay:)

Its good that your kittens are settling in nicely, you will be there with them before you know it!  :D

• Liked: 82
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »
Glad kitties are safe :) Mookie still gets a bit nervous. The wind is howling here at the moment and she won't leave my side. You will be back with them before you know it :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab