Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The most annoying expressions...  (Read 88273 times)

Re: The most annoying expressions...
« Reply #1125 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
As my husband is from the north of England and we lived there for a long time I'll take northern speak over Surrey anytime. The number of people who are incapable of pronouncing "th" makes me wince, its "three" not "free"!!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1126 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
I'd MUCH rather listen to any northern accent over a working class London one. It's just awful!  :(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1127 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
Some of the posts on this thread make me feel disgusted.  I wish this topic had never been never started.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #1128 on: January 11, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
People can't really help the way they speak, and I don't think it's at all fair to say there is a way of speaking "properly". "Properly" according to what, exactly?

I enjoy all accents and find the different ways people speak to be fascinating, particularly within the UK. For such a comparatively small land mass, it's amazing how diverse the accents have become over time.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 3
« Reply #1129 on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
As my husband is from the north of England and we lived there for a long time I'll take northern speak over Surrey anytime. The number of people who are incapable of pronouncing "th" makes me wince, its "three" not "free"!!

Try the Irish when it's then "tree"!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 533
« Reply #1130 on: January 11, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »
Some of the posts on this thread make me feel disgusted.  I wish this topic had never been never started.

I know. I catch myself making snap judgments. It is ridiculous really.

This one time, and I hesitate to tell this story about myself, I was taking a training course for work and the lady trainer was dressed very professionally, but when I glanced down at her shoes, they were very worn and shabby. Looking back, she had mentioned she was new to the position - one that was not super well paid I'm sure -  and she probably had stretched her finances on her smart outfit, but needed a bit longer to get matching new shoes. Or maybe they were just comfortable and as she was on her feet for long periods...who knows...   

But she saw me notice her shoes - and it sent her into a tailspin. She actually blushed and stepped quickly behind the lectern. Who am I to judge this lady on her shoes? Or on someone's accent? 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #1131 on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
I am going to lock this topic, I think it's probably run its course.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab