Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 81604 times)

• Liked: 56
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
That sounds more like really uncouth people than standard British in-law operations.

Do they come from a small, isolated town that is very provincial?  Is there some lingering family resentment like the son left for London and is now "too good" for them?

You may need to learn to put your foot down regarding how long you spend with them at, say, holidays and the like.  Don't be afraid to do that for your own sanity! And really avoid that sister in law - cripes what a piece of work.  She sounds like one of those people you see falling out of her dress in the middle of town on a Saturday night, drunk as can be.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #841 on: October 16, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
Hmmm that might be it - they're from a smallish town in North Yorkshire and yes, my husband lives in London now. I hadn't thought that might play into things.

As things would have it, she emailed my mother to complain about how she was treated and said she felt unwelcome. She then asked my mother to find her certain toys in America for her kids and have them shipped over. She is definitely a piece of work - and is known to have 4-5 margaritas on any given weeknight. Quite the heavy drinker - but then I suppose I think most of the British are heavy drinkers compared to Americans, hahaha.

Yes, I shall have to figure out how to delicately and appropriate handle the situation! Yeesh! Thanks for the advice and letting me vent!  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
09/27/14 - Married in USA
10/08/14 - Submitted Online UK Settlement Visa Application
10/14/14 - Biometrics Appointment
10/14/14 - Mailed Physical UK Settlement Visa Application
10/16/14 - UK Settlement Visa Application Delivered
10/21/14 - UKVI Email Application Received
10/23/14 - UKVI Email Visa Approved
10/27/14 - Visa Received and off to London

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »
Bella, sounds like your sister in law is probably just 'one of those people'.  Hopefully you can find ways to deal with her, and by all means, vent away here.  :D  

However, it sounds like you've not been in the country too long (or are you even here yet, I can't tell from your signature), so I'd caution you against generalising that it's a "British thing" (be it 'attitudes' or 'drinking culture' or 'rudeness').  The world is full of all kinds of people, from all walks of life.  

It is definitely OK to ask if something is cultural if you don't know, but if you think about the nice traits your hubby has (would you consider him rude and cold for example?), try to remember that most of the population is generally full of nice traits ;).  It helps ease the transition and help to meet new people.    :) :)

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #843 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »
Phatbeetle,

Yes, you're right - I meant no offense by my question but I was generally curious. I've spent quite a lot of time in the UK and I don't find it to be as open and friendly as the States. People, in my experience at least, drink much more and are much more reserved. My husband and I have both noticed how our respective friends and family have responsed to our relationship so differently. Dozens of my friends have added him and interact with him on social media, my family messages him weekly just to chat - etc. On the other hand, not a single of his friends or family have really reached out to me. So I didn't meant to be rude - and I certainly don't think her specific behavior is an indicator of British culture - I've just gotten the feeling that in comparison to America it's a bit more contained and reserved. I've also gotten the feeling that weddings aren't as big of a deal as they are in America.

You are right though, I haven't moved yet - still waiting on my visa. I hope I'm wrong! I also hope my visa is approved, lol. I'm worried it will be difficult to make friends, as I've seen others post on here they've had troubles. We shall see! I'm up for the adventure :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
09/27/14 - Married in USA
10/08/14 - Submitted Online UK Settlement Visa Application
10/14/14 - Biometrics Appointment
10/14/14 - Mailed Physical UK Settlement Visa Application
10/16/14 - UK Settlement Visa Application Delivered
10/21/14 - UKVI Email Application Received
10/23/14 - UKVI Email Visa Approved
10/27/14 - Visa Received and off to London

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab