Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Popeye's Chicken at RAF Lakenheath,  (Read 3540 times)

• Liked: 8
Popeye's Chicken at RAF Lakenheath,
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »
Hi all,

I grew up a Navy brat, mainly in San Diego, and my first job at 17 was at brand new Popeye's Chicken at the Navy Housing neighborhood in Murphy Canyon. Love Popeyes and can never eat KFC again due to it.

I found out recently that there is a Popeyes at RAF Lakenheath, since the base is run by the US Air Force.

Is there anyway, that a non military but former navy dependent US citizen, living in the UK could somehow access the base for the purposes of eating at Popeyes? I would be very happy!

Jeremy

• Liked: 1327
Re: Popeye's Chicken at RAF Lakenheath,
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »
I share your preference for Popeye's over KFC.  And I completely understand how having some familiar fast food (especially Popeye's chicken!) would make you very happy.  Now I'm thinking about it... *wistful*  It's way too far to drive just for some chicken, though.

Unfortunately, access to RAF Lakenheath is controlled (some bases are open, or at least they used to be... security may be different these days).  Since you are no longer a dependent, you would need to know someone who has base privileges (active duty military, retirees, dependents, and government civilians with a valid military ID card), and they would need to either sponsor you on, or go buy some Popeye's and bring it off base for you.  But if you want to contact the RAF Lakenheath Visitor's Control Center, you can phone them on 01638 523 554/560, in case they have different information.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1903
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »
Let us know how this works out .  I'd gladly take a tour of  the base if I could then take a tour of some fried chicken and dirty rice.

On Sunday I made homemade sausage biscuits.  They were certainly the best buttermilk biscuits available in Twickenham, but my kids were having none of it.  The little savages have gone native!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:04:46 AM »
On Sunday I made homemade sausage biscuits. 

I make some occasionally but about half the time they come out pretty sturdy...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »
I share your preference for Popeye's over KFC.  And I completely understand how having some familiar fast food (especially Popeye's chicken!) would make you very happy.  Now I'm thinking about it... *wistful*  It's way too far to drive just for some chicken, though.

You've been in the UK awhile if you think a 3 hour drive from Salisbury is considered a long drive. :-) Plenty of people out West, in the States, drive further than that just to get to an In N Out Burger.

If I ever get the chance to get up there, I will reply and let you know how it goes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab