Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Damn you Bernie!!  (Read 1639 times)

• Liked: 2
Damn you Bernie!!
« on: October 01, 2004, 09:26:17 AM »
The British Grand Prix has been dropped from the Formula One calendar for the first time in the sport's history.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had given Silverstone owners the British Racing Drivers' Club until close of business on Thursday to meet his financial demands.

The two parties are believed to be around £3million apart on the annual cost of rights to the race and Ecclestone pulled the plug.

He has omitted the race, which this year was a 100,000 sell-out, from his provisional 2005 calendar, which goes before the FIA's world motor sport council on October 13.

Ecclestone has been a fierce critic of Silverstone over recent years, attacking facilities at first but moving on to demand the BRDC pay at a similar rate to races throughout Europe.

_________________________________________________ ________

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Damn you Bernie!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 12:53:26 PM »
We drove by Silverstone a couple months ago.  It was a much bigger deal to Frank than it was to me.  lol  I'm not really a racing fan but anything with an engine and he's a happy boy.   ;)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
OMG.  The DH is a huge FI fan.  Isn't Britain home of something like 6 of the 10 FI teams?

What's the difference between what BRDC pays and the rest of Europe?  Doesn't the British Grand Prix already have the most expensive ticket price?  If they did meet Ecclestein's demands, would this filter down into even higher prices?

This is even worse than when Murray retired from commenting.  Certainly he must have something to say about this! 

Britain is so important to FI; surely this isn't the end?  The impact would be huge.

"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• flavin!
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:11:32 PM »
It's been rectified, no worries (well, at least, FEWER worries). Check grandprix.com

My housemate's dad is on the board of the BRDC (who own Silverstone), I get to hear some of the dirt sometimes :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things you didn't do than by things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:31:03 PM »
It's been rectified, no worries (well, at least, FEWER worries). Check grandprix.com

My housemate's dad is on the board of the BRDC (who own Silverstone), I get to hear some of the dirt sometimes :)

OLD news --- hey  - where ya been Frankie Boy?  Any more care packages from Mother?

• flavin!
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:57:22 PM »
I'm sporadic when it comes to forums...it comes from having to monitor one for years...and my mother brought a couple of care packages with her when she visited last month :D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things you didn't do than by things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
I'm sporadic when it comes to forums...it comes from having to monitor one for years...and my mother brought a couple of care packages with her when she visited last month :D
Spoiled Boy!!

;D

• flavin!
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 09:40:03 AM »
Yup! :)

Sponsored Links