Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican Foods  (Read 3254 times)

• Liked: 154
Re: Mexican Foods
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
Darn, I was hoping for the real deal. we do have a new Brazilian restaurant in town, not quite Mexican but    South American food is still delicious!  I grew up with a few friends from central and South America so that authentic taste can't be beat! Guess I chose the wrong type of food to be my favorite

The first time I tried Frankie and Bennies I was so excited to have Italian food. I'm from Saint Louis, Missouri and there's an old Italian neighborhood filled with authentic restaurants. I was hoping to get that taste from Frankie and bennies. Wasn't that, but the food wasn't bad.

• Liked: 1903
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
It's never going to be quite the same. 

I've stopped going to Chiquito. It's like the whitest Mexican restaurant in Ohio.  Ok in a pinch, but ultimately disappointing. 

I've found most of the new burrito places to be pretty good, I guess one thing is easier to get right.  My current favourite is Cilango around London wall or mission burrito in Reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
mission burrito

I enjoyed Mission in Oxford.

Cambridge is sort of missing out. We have a burrito place and it is OK, but they used to put more effort into the frijoles. I think they dump them in the serving tray straight out of the tin now. Not a killer.....but you know....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 154
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
Oo there's a burrito place in Cambridge? I'm not super far from there, may have to scope it out next time we go there.

• Liked: 1903
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
I think the decent places give you a choice between brown or black beans.  Many Islamic people might be surprised that there's lard in there AFAIK.

One reason I like Cilango on London Wall is that they've got two elaborate neon signs that are made of proper blown glass instead of plastic and LEDs.  They spent some money on those signs because that's the right way to do it.  I'd like to imagine it's the same for the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
I think the decent places give you a choice between brown or black beans.  Many Islamic people might be surprised that there's lard in there AFAIK.

It's just that a few years ago you could tell that the beans had been cooked somewhat properly....with perhaps lard/oil, some onion, maybe garlic..and somebody had taken the time to actually smash a few of them, and stew them down a bit. It gave them a bit of body.

Now they are just sort of held in water....in a serving tray, and they scoop up a bit and hold them there for a moment to let the water drain off. It looks just like they are straight from the tin. Red or black....same way.

With all of the other accoutrements....the lettuce and salsa and meats and sour cream and such.....it's not that noticeable. Except that I notice it....a jejune base to an otherwise OK dish.

And like the plastic and LEDs you mentioned....it's just a little thing that to me signals that somebody there said, "Eff it, we can cut back on cooking time.....who will notice?"

Oo there's a burrito place in Cambridge? I'm not super far from there, may have to scope it out next time we go there.

By all means give it a try. It is fine......just those darned beans....

http://www.nannamexico.com/
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
There's a chain that's about as Mexican as Taco Bell, but if amazingly they're in some motorway service areas! http://www.elmexicana.co.uk/restaurants.htm

Not great, but if you need a mex fix, they'll do.

• Liked: 150
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
There is nothing in this country that I have seen that I can't do better in my own home.....and I don't spend much time cooking at all.......and for about 20% of the cost.......and without a pint of beer costing £5+. If I'm going to spend way too much money to eat out.....I'll stick to Indian.
Fred

• Liked: 585
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »

My local place, Pinto in Glasgow, is good by British standards but not great.

I like Pinto better than Taco Mazama... but neither of them are anything like the Mexican food I grew up with in Southern California.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »
There is nothing in this country that I have seen that I can't do better in my own home.....and I don't spend much time cooking at all.......and for about 20% of the cost.......and without a pint of beer costing £5+. If I'm going to spend way too much money to eat out.....I'll stick to Indian.

Totally agree. We rarely eat out, and when we do, it's on the extremely rare occasions that we are not close to home. It was the same in the US - I ate out when I was on business trips, but aside from that, I cooked.

If I make it, I don't have to guess what's in it. If it's not totally 'authentic', it's because I chose to alter the recipe or use a different ingredient (which is how recipes evolve). I make my own curry pastes (Indian as well as Thai) and while it's a bit more difficult here to source ingredients for Mexican, I manage when I'm in the mood.

Your mileage may vary, just as our tastes may vary.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »
www.Mexgrocer.co.uk has some good stuff, especially corn tortillas which aren't sold anywhere in the UK. The ones you can find sometime at the supermarket are only around 28% corn... false advertising in my opinion.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 02:05:57 AM »
If you're looking for good Mexican in London you have to try Lupita. There are three now: one on High Street Kensington, one near Charing Cross, and one on Commercial Street. This is not a British person trying to replicate Mexican food - it's run by people who are actually from Mexico. The owner studied at the same university I went to so it was very popular with my classmates. The first time I went was during the Olympics and I knew it was a good sign when there was a line out the door of people who were clearly in London to support the Mexican Olympic Team.

www.lupita.co.uk

Sponsored Links