Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Internship out of the UK on spouse visa  (Read 523 times)

• Liked: 5
Internship out of the UK on spouse visa
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
After I get married and (hopefully) get my spouse visa later this year there's a chance that I'll be offered an internship at the UN in Geneva for three months early next year. Would being out of the country (without my husband/sponsor) contravene any of the immigration rules or cause any problems applying for the FLR(M) next time?

• Liked: 3598
Re: Internship out of the UK on spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
As long as you have a very good reason for not being able to live together, and you can prove your ongoing relationship while you are in Geneva, it shouldn't be a problem.

Though, is the internship voluntary/will it further your career, or is it something you are applying for because you fancy it? Normally acceptable reasons for living apart during a spousal visa are things that are out of your control - such as one of you being sent overseas/on detachment to another city by your employer, or being deployed overseas with the military.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
Oh it's definitely something to further my career - it would be in a high demand but niche speciality. The problem is getting the authorities to recognise that. Especially since I'll be self employed!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
Oh it's definitely something to further my career - it would be in a high demand but niche speciality.

Cool :).

Just checking because we had someone ask a similar question a few months ago, where it was the UK spouse who was talking about going to the US for a few months for a volunteering gig. while their US spouse stayed in the UK... and I think a situation like that would raise some eyebrows, because there really was no reason why the couple HAD to be separated - other than the UK sponsor deciding they fancied going to the US for a few months - especially since the foreign spouse was American and it would probably have looked odd/suspicious that they weren't accompanying their sponsor to their own country.

Sponsored Links