Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help with using a launderette  (Read 962 times)

• Liked: 0
Help with using a launderette
« on: December 23, 2004, 03:02:59 PM »
Our washer went kaput a week ago, BG can't schedule a repair until mid January (don't get me started on BG) so I need to use a launderette for a while.

I've watched Pauline and Dot on EastEnders and that's my only reference for how to use a launderette so far.  I've used coin op in the States but the launderette seems very different.

But when we showed up at the local launderette, the two women working there told us that there would be no available washers until after Xmas.  They seemed put off by us doing our own laundry (paying with coins), I am not sure why that might be - any ideas?  Is it customary to hand everything to them and leave?  They had no place to wait/sit, every available space was piled with folded laundry.

Is it okay to wash real nappies at a launderette? 

Thanks in advance.

• Liked: 2
Re: Help with using a launderette
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 03:05:15 PM »
I would try another launderette.  You should be able to do the washing yourself. 

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 03:08:25 PM »
Thanks, Britwife!  OT:  is that your gorgeous face in the avatar photo?  I always think, 'wow, really beautiful!' when i see your avatar.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
yep it's me ... good angle ...

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 06:24:18 PM »
Hi Muse,

I did laugh at your description of seeing Dot & Pauline using a launderette, that's cute!  I am really not sure though, what kind of launderette you went into unless it was a manned, full service launderette where you can opt to have a full service wash ( which is when you walk in, hand over bag of dirty laundry and just collect it a day or so later all washed, dried and folded nicely ( for an extra fee of course!)  A wash in a normal machine would probably be around £2.80-ish at a guess.  The larger machines are more pricey, but useful to wash a duvet, curtains or heavy blankets in.

Most regular launderettes have many machines that you pop your dosh in and off you go , remembering to take your own detergent with you.  A good tip is to spend an extra 10-20pence on putting the washing into the spin dryer (usually free standing seperate machine) as this will wring out your wash much better and cut down on drying time.

Last time I went, you got 5 mins drying time (on high) for 20 pence, this is probably a bit more now.
I was always told to never use machines on the end, as people prefer them and they get used more making them less efficient.

Lastly, try to grab a dryer that someone else has just finished with ( retains the heat makes your drying cheaper!) and dont be tempted to put a lot of drying in one machine just because they are bigger, spread the loads out for quicker drying.

I hope that helps a little :)

Sheril.

oh! Of course you can wash whatever you want in there, bearing in mind that people can and do wash their entire kennels/stables worth of rugs/blankets etc
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 08:32:03 PM »

oh! Of course you can wash whatever you want in there, bearing in mind that people can and do wash their entire kennels/stables worth of rugs/blankets etc

Look around... some laundrettes (even in Albert Square!) have notices up on the wall which say 'no nappies' or 'no dogs blankets'.

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 10:06:44 PM »
Muse,

I perhaps did not make it clear in my post that I haven't used a launderette in quite a while, so will suggest that you follow the advice of the O.P and "look around".

I was of course, assuming you could read/figure that bit out for yourself, but I am sorry I wasn't more specific, I forget one has to be like that on forums sometimes.

Apologies for any misleading info, but I am sure it will be okay ( even if you handwashed/soaked them first or something and then took them to be spun/dried?

Sheril
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 05:33:13 AM »
I also havent used a laundrette in many years, but i just thought of something this morning... isnt there some sort of weird 'ritual' you've got to do when using the spinner?   ???   Like put a towel over it or something?  I seem to remember being screamed at by the harridan who ran the place over some issue with the spinner....  if you feel comfortable asking the woman for help, it's not a bad idea.  The spinner will (as someone else mentioned) save you money in the tumble dryers.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 08:10:51 AM »
We used a launderette last year for a couple of weeks when our machine packed up. Don't recall the towel/spinner thing.  But if you have anything with hooks and eyes, do them up otherwise the hooks get caught in the dryer.

Yes why are launderettes always run by harridans? I'd be careful about taking handwashed stuff in to dry. I did that once in about 1987 and got a blasting from the grumpy old cow in charge who said it would ruin HER machines.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 07:02:16 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely!
I took in MACHINE washed stuff... washed at my MIL's... to use the tumble dryers, and the harridans went pure radge on me.  Wouldnt let me use the dryers!   ???

Sponsored Links