Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We made it to San Francisco!  (Read 1464 times)

• Liked: 1
We made it to San Francisco!
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:48 PM »
Dear all,
here is my travel experience from Aberdeen to San Francisco, on the 16th of June. A bit of a lengthy message but hopefully will be useful to others.
There were 5 of us, 4 with US passport and 1 (myself) Italian, but spouse of a US citizen.
We did Qured for Covid testing, £33 each. Went well, but at first Qured could not see the emails with the picture of the outcome, after a few email interactions, things worked out well. We use VERIFLY, at first it would not verify the covid testing documents for my wife and my daughter, then tried adding them with their second nationality (Italian rather than USA), and they were approved. However, at check in in London the app would not display everyone's picture, only mine (they were all under my name as companions). Luckily I had a hard copy of all relevant documents with me, and they took those. We purchase health insurance via insubuy, ($500 for 5 of us, for 40 days) a bit expensive but the only option really, given that UK based standard travel insurance would not cover us because we were travelling against FCDO advise
Apart from these relatively minor issues with Qured and VeriFLY, our main problems were that my two boys US passport expired two months ago. Now the US Government allows people with expired passport to travel back home nonetheless, but it was not easy. Then the other issue is that I was Italian, although a spouse of an American. Because of the problems above, in Aberdeen (Scotland) they would not print out boarding pass for the London - San Francisco flight. They said there were issues that they were unable to resolve, and to try again in London. Once in London, they let us a through the terminal but we were told to go immediately to customer service to get the problem sorted. At customer service, the British Airways personal almost laughed at me, when I presented two expired passports and mine Italian. It took some 30 minutes of different phone calls to eventually get the go ahead. They wanted the marriage certificate (of which I had a certified translation in English, being it originally in Italian), a copy of my ESTA, all 3 kids birth certificate. We were really grilled, and everything was checked multiple times, but eventually they let us through.
Flight Aberdeen London was full, many people not wearing masks properly, which annoyed me a bit, given that on internal flights people are not even requested to get a negative covid test.
In London, most personnel, esp BA customer service people, did not wear a mask at all.
Flight London to San Francisco was almost empty, I would say one seat out of 5 taken, no more. Everybody being really careful/respectful in terms of wearing masks.
Once in San Francisco, we were told before disembarking that inspectors were at the gates random checking negative Covid tests. So make sure you definitely have a printed copy of whatever test you take, Passport control was a breeze, although they did ask for my marriage certificate again.
Very glad I can now enjoy a bit of Californian sun and spend time with my wife's family. First thing to do today is to get the passport of the boys sorted. Hopefully the way back will be less stressful!
Enjoy your travel, if you decide to go, and good luck with it,
Matteo

• Liked: 57
Re: We made it to San Francisco!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
Glad you made it and hope you have a lovely summer.

We're looking at flying to the US for four weeks this summer and I'm planning on bringing Qured tests with us to fly back to the UK. Did you use this brand to enter the US, too? We would be flying Delta/KLM/AirFrance. Did the US accept the NHS app to show proof of your jabs?
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
Moved to the UK July 2017
FLR(M) June 2020
ILR November 2022

• Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
Glad you made it and hope you have a lovely summer.

We're looking at flying to the US for four weeks this summer and I'm planning on bringing Qured tests with us to fly back to the UK. Did you use this brand to enter the US, too? We would be flying Delta/KLM/AirFrance. Did the US accept the NHS app to show proof of your jabs?

Qured were great for us recently.

I would not gamble on the app being accepted. I've heard even certain EU countries and airlines are not accepting the app. Get a letter.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 57
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:53:59 PM »
I would not gamble on the app being accepted. I've heard even certain EU countries and airlines are not accepting the app. Get a letter.

I did a bit more reading on the CDC web site and the app won't matter for us. We both got the Astra Zeneca, which the CDC won't recognize, so we'll be treated as un-vaxed anyway and will need to quarantine for 7 days.
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
Moved to the UK July 2017
FLR(M) June 2020
ILR November 2022

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 10:37:58 PM »
The quarantine once you arrive here in the US was optional, a few weeks ago, although recommended. We used Qured to fly to the USA and we were not checked at all on arrival, but I had a printed copy of the Qured result, just in case. Only one person out of maybe 15 were checked at arrival, and it all seemed very friendly, so I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you have done the test and have paper proof of it.
However, everyone's testing result was checked at Heathrow, and they were fine with the app recommended by BA, but again I would keep a paper copy with you (the app did not work for me).
Good luck with your trip!
Matteo

• Liked: 108
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 08:19:05 AM »
The quarantine once you arrive here in the US was optional, a few weeks ago, although recommended. We used Qured to fly to the USA and we were not checked at all on arrival, but I had a printed copy of the Qured result, just in case. Only one person out of maybe 15 were checked at arrival, and it all seemed very friendly, so I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you have done the test and have paper proof of it.
However, everyone's testing result was checked at Heathrow, and they were fine with the app recommended by BA, but again I would keep a paper copy with you (the app did not work for me).
Good luck with your trip!
Matteo

Yes the responsibility from the various governments is on the airlines to check covid results hence why they're are not frequently checked upon arrival.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 31
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »
To get the £33 price with Qured, use the discount code BATRAVEL15 or AATRAVEL15.  Otherwise the price is £39.

Collinson, who tests at airports, has dropped their prices.  Predeparture tests are £40.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab