Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of Covid Recovery for Children Under 12  (Read 1149 times)

• Liked: 6
Proof of Covid Recovery for Children Under 12
« on: February 25, 2022, 10:29:06 AM »
I'll be traveling back to the US in a few weeks and British Airways is telling me I need a proof of positive test and a letter from a healthcare provider to be exempt from testing. That's no problem with the NHS pass for myself and my husband, but it doesn't cover my daughter who is only four. She is terrified of these tests and by all rights should be exempt from testing, as we're within the 90 days before travel, but 119 and GP will not provide any letter. What have others done? From what I can see, this isn't a BA rule but rather a US rule and they aren't considering that not everyone can get a covid pass or letter from GP. I've called BA and they were absolutely no help either! As above, have called 119 and GP too as well as our local covid health line. No one can provide any answers.

Please help! I can't be the only one traveling with a child.

• Liked: 108
Re: Proof of Covid Recovery for Children Under 12
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 10:44:16 AM »
It's BA's responsibility to ensure the destination's requirements are upheld. Same with anything such as visa's etc. However, they're upholding USA's requirements so they will be no help (understandably). So your information gathering should be gathered from the CDC, not BA.

Did your daughter have covid? It's not clear from your post. USA allow antigen tests and you can get tests you can take unsupervised at home. My parent-in-laws did this through Randox and uploaded their test images and got the cert. They were just nostril tests which is significantly less terrifying for a 4 year old and as it's unsupervised so there's no anxiety-inducing stranger watching her take it and will be comfortable at home watching Paw Patrol. She's young she may be testing negative by now in which case you can just test her instead of the effort of getting a letter. Treat her to a toy if she's brave and takes it. Just say it's a little tickle.

Have you actually tested yourself and your daughter with a lateral flow and still positive?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:48:03 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:50:40 AM »
She did have covid in January and we have the positive PCR test result from NHS that is dated (the email confirmations they send) within 90 days of our departure date. By all rights she should be able to be exempt from the lateral flow test requirement, and yes I've checked CDC requirements. The problem is the form you need to provide upon US entry ALSO wants a letter of proof of recovery from a healthcare provider and no one will provide this. Yes, it would be easy enough to test her and she'd be negative by now I am sure, but no it isn't just a simple nose test for her. She is terrified of these tests and it really traumatizes her (think of people with needle fears). As a result, I'd really like to avoid testing her but I'm getting nowhere trying to get the other documentation I need as 119 and GP will not provide it.

This is why I'm asking, as I'm guessing someone else has been in the same boat and may know something. I hope that's clearer!

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
Edit to add: are you confident the NHS pass is sufficient to travel to USA?
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:57:09 AM »
She did have covid in January and we have the positive PCR test result from NHS that is dated (the email confirmations they send) within 90 days of our departure date. By all rights she should be able to be exempt from the lateral flow test requirement, and yes I've checked CDC requirements. The problem is the form you need to provide upon US entry ALSO wants a letter of proof of recovery from a healthcare provider and no one will provide this. Yes, it would be easy enough to test her and she'd be negative by now I am sure, but no it isn't just a simple nose test for her. She is terrified of these tests and it really traumatizes her (think of people with needle fears). As a result, I'd really like to avoid testing her but I'm getting nowhere trying to get the other documentation I need as 119 and GP will not provide it.

This is why I'm asking, as I'm guessing someone else has been in the same boat and may know something. I hope that's clearer!

From my understanding it will be extremely difficult to get a letter. I'm confident no doctor will want to sign something saying someone has recovered. If any long covid symptoms were to happen (very unlikely) they could be held responsible.

Your effort, in my own opinion, should be focused on getting your little one a test. Make it a game, anything. Practice at home before doing the real test. I really don't think you'll get a letter. However, I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

Also, are you sure the NHS app is sufficient?
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 11:06:38 AM »
Yes, NHS app show proof of recovery and covid vaccination status. I've talked to 119 about it and the form says can be from a "health official" too so I feel confident in that one, especially as that's why it was created in part (they have a "travel" part of the tab if you've got the app). I'll see if anyone else comes along who has travelled with young children. I just figured perhaps someone had and could pass on some firsthand information from their experience. Of course, we will test her if we can't get a letter; I'm just trying to avoid that option if I can given she should be able to be exempt and testing is scary for her.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 11:16:21 AM »
Yes hopefully somebody could provide you with their optimistic experience.

But doesn't the document of recovery include a positive test? Either way she'll have to take a test? I don't know enough about this avenue for US travel, though.

Edit to add: or is a test that's been taken in 90 days acceptable and in which case will be a test when she had covid.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:18:39 AM by Ben1989 »
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »
I think part of your issue is that NHS tests and resources can’t be used for travel.

You may have more luck finding a private GP willing to write a letter.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 11:28:55 AM »
I think part of your issue is that NHS tests and resources can’t be used for travel.

You may have more luck finding a private GP willing to write a letter.

A quick google search shows clinics willing to give these certificates for a fee (of course)
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 11:36:45 AM »
A quick google search shows clinics willing to give these certificates for a fee (of course)

Yeah, I think if you're willing to pay and go private it is very easy to accomplish what Redstar is aiming for here.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab