Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Teaching private violin lessons in the UK  (Read 2391 times)

• Liked: 0
Teaching private violin lessons in the UK
« on: March 18, 2022, 01:44:47 PM »
Hello All! I was wondering if anyone moved to the UK and taught private music lessons? Which visa did you use skilled worker or a business visa? I am interested in doing this after I retire from teaching with the goal of permanent residence. Thank you all and stay well!
~Maria

• Liked: 4985
Re: Teaching private violin lessons in the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
As you would be self-employed, you won't be able to qualify for a skilled worker visa.

There was a "golden visa" which for a £2 million pound investment into the UK would allow you to come to the UK to live and work as you pleased but it was shut down with immediate affect a few weeks ago to ensure Russian billionaires didn't seek refuge in the UK. 

Would you be able to audition for one of the many orchestras in the UK?  If they were to employ you, you'd easily qualify for a visa.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 04:02:48 PM »
Thank you KFdance but I am only interested in teaching private lessons, not performing. I guess I should consider teaching private lessons in a shop or a music school.
~Maria

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »
Thank you KFdance but I am only interested in teaching private lessons, not performing. I guess I should consider teaching private lessons in a shop or a music school.

Do you have U.K. music qualifications?  As that will be required for an employer to qualify to sponsor you for a visa.

I was shocked and amazed when I moved here after dancing professionally in Broadway shows that I could not teach dance classes!  Honestly, I wouldn’t have moved here had I known that would not be possible.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 06:54:16 PM »
Wow, I guess this is going to be tricker than I thought. I am a New York State Certified Teacher so I don’t know how much that’ll help me in the UK. I am planning on contacting a few of the UK string teaching associations for guidance as I get closer to retirement.
~Maria

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 04:59:43 PM »
If you're currently a certified teacher in the US you can apply for Qualified Teacher Status in the UK. So you'd probably not run into too much trouble in that respect.

What would be difficult is finding an approved employer who can sponsor you, and an approved role. I get the feeling a full time teaching role in a school isn't what you're looking to do, but there really aren't any visas for anything less.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »
Thank you Gwenn666. You are correct in that I am not interested in a full-time teaching position. After 31 years of teaching, I am hoping that in retirement I would just teach private lessons. In the Tier 2 visa there is a code for private lessons, but where is acceptable to teach or how I would be sponsored if I taught out of my flat is where I lack resources to gain information. I am hoping to find someone who has done this already to help pave the way for me to take a similar track. With 5 years until retirement and a trip to England coming up this summer I’m hoping I’ll get some answers before I attempt to make the move to the UK.
~Maria

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 09:24:46 PM »
There won't be many people in that position, because unfortunately it is likely to be difficult if not impossible to arrange under current visa rules. It wouldn't be possible to go over yourself and simply set up and offer the lessons yourself, without an employer.

Your best bet is to start here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers as one of these companies will have to sponsor you. There may be some music schools on there that offer lessons who could employ you, and from there you can negotiate your work location as long as you work in a location specified on your work contract. The job has to meet minimum salary requirements (£25,600 per year, £10.10 per hour, or the ‘going rate’ on the going rate table for the type of work you’ll be doing, whichever is highest) and have a four digit code on the list of eligible jobs. You would be only able to work for that employer or another sponsor, though.

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »
These are the exams you’ll need to pass to teach.  You’ll be able to “test out” of some but there will be several left to do. 

https://gb.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/bowed-strings-exams/violin-exams/

This is a decent explanation of the different qualifications needed for different things.

https://lcme.uwl.ac.uk/exams/strings-harp/violin

I could have completed the U.K. teaching qualifications for dance in two years, but due to much more strenuous work pressure (day job), I wasn’t able to make it work.  Then I had kids.  But hopefully I’ll do them someday. I really miss being in the studio.

My professional friends (an anaesthesiologist and a dentist) are shocked that their professions honour foreign experience and qualifications, but that I can’t teach kids how to tap dance.  ::)

Id really consider either teaching in a school or playing professionally.  Genuinely those will be the only viable routes for a visa. Especially now that the £2 million visa isn’t an option.   :-\\\\ There will have to be a compromise somewhere. Either retiring and enjoying your time the way you want (outside the UK), or taking full time, intense employment for 5 years until you can qualify for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Hugs!  Have you considered other countries that don’t have serious anti immigration policies?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 08:32:51 AM »
Hugs!  Have you considered other countries that don’t have serious anti immigration policies?
Let's not forget the ridiculous cost of living and difficulty finding friends.  I'm not sure I would choose the UK as a place to retire.  Although I'm sure @2wingerts has already thought about all that. 

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 12:45:49 AM »
Hi All! Thanks for all the links and advice. It’s a lot to think about. I will also get in touch with ESTA to see if they have some more suggestions to help me on my way.
~Maria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab