Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Video Covid Test or Not...  (Read 1205 times)

• Liked: 8
Video Covid Test or Not...
« on: March 21, 2022, 10:48:46 AM »
Morning All

Anyone travelled to USA Recently?

Looking on the Qured / C19 they both mention that USA require Video test.  I am 100% sure when i went in November I just did one at home and sent a photo off and got email confirmation it was ok , ie no video!....   Has this changed?  I can not see it mentioed on UK Government Site or CDC Site.

THanks in advance

• Liked: 16
Re: Video Covid Test or Not...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
The US has required supervised tests for over a year. You probably just got lucky that you managed to get through last time with an unsupervised test

I wouldn't count on being that lucky again though; I know people who have arrived at the airport only to be told they had to do another test there before they could check in (costing considerably more).

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 11:40:41 AM »
Yea we must have been lucky each time :-(   I will get one ordered now although I notice at heathrow they are only £35 now as a friend did one there yesterady...

• Liked: 686
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:02:27 AM »

• Liked: 1899
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 08:59:43 AM »
Is the US covid rate much lower than the UK?  Just curious. It's really going crazy here and everyone is absolutely ignoring it.

• Liked: 108
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 01:38:57 PM »
Parent-in-laws came over in December. They did an unsupervised Randox test and had no issues.

Keep in mind this was during the Omicron outbreak and heightened rules.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 686
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 10:51:05 AM »
Yes, generally the rates here are much lower than they have been, and are definitely lower than the UK. But remember that very little testing is done here, so they use statistical models based on what tests are actually done ~and reported~ to extrapolate the charts & graphs. I've been watching the rates locally - we get a nightly notification from our local government as to the state, regional, and county rates. The seven-day average has been down  below 2% at all levels for some time now, but I note that it is ticking back up again, and they are saying it's primarily being caused by BA.2. Last night's alert had the state test results up to 2.4%, the regional had a positivity rate of 3.9% and the county was at 4.5%.  All low, but the curve upward is noticeable in the last two weeks.  The numbers will, of course, vary wildly from state to state. We are seeing (regionally) a slow increase in hospitalizations again, and we are still losing at least a few people every week, of all ages.

As all restrictions have been removed, I would imagine the infection rate will continue to increase. Whether or not it's actually reported is a different issue. Fauci is saying he doesn't expect the kind of curve that the UK has had - hopefully he's correct, but I'm not convinced. People are carrying on as if it never happened now. Understandable - you can only push the general population so far before mental fatigue sets in - but that's not helpful, overall.  Plus, the population and governments are no longer willing to endure the financial stress that goes with what has to be done to mitigate this disease. They've decided how much they're willing to put up with, and that is no longer what it would take to ensure everyone is safe. Those of us (elderly, children, or infirm in some way) who are especially at risk are now, in effect, thrown under the bus. It's much the same in the UK, and has been for some time, in that respect. Not unexpected, really. More expected here than there, given the UK hive-mind. My working assumption is that the economy there was hit so badly that the political wonks decided they had to cut their losses to keep things functioning  and that the point at which the cuts had to kick in had passed. Here they have never really done the "it's for the greater good" thing - it's not part of the culture. I do feel for the people who now have such hideous medical bills incurred (and incurring) in dealing with this. That has become so bad that the three big credit reporting agencies have decided to remove most medical debt from credit reports.

Rather tellingly, a few weeks ago the govmt. medics here quietly changed what was taken into consideration when issuing guidance. It went from being mainly based on one's risk of infection to the ability of the healthcare system to absorb the excess cases. So now they are not recommending masks or social distancing, etc. That's kinda not cool, really.  :(   But, hey, they've got the beds now and you can always work out a payment plan... assuming you can work.

We are both currently working, and still masking by choice when outside our home. I have had to make it clear to my employer that I was not participating in any meeting with unmasked persons in small, poorly-ventilated spaces. (Like my office, which is a glorified shoe-box and has no ventilation I can detect.)  It's not a negotiable condition of employment, and so far they are willing to work with me on that. I did make it very clear that if they were not , I'd be packing up my things and hitting the door immediately. The science is still not clear on how even mild infections relate to long covid, but there are enough within-a-year negative impacts for people with even mild cases that I am not willing to risk exposure - especially since I've got an immunocompromised person in the household to whom I could transmit it.

And now... back to your travel news. ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:20:41 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab