Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel with Naturalisation Certificate  (Read 1225 times)

• Liked: 5
Travel with Naturalisation Certificate
« on: April 07, 2022, 03:33:13 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure whether this question should be posted here or the Visa section, moderators please delete if not appropriate.

We are booked to travel to France on Saturday, out of the blue last weekend my wife got her citizenship application approved (about a month earlier than we expected). She phoned the local authority and actually had her ceremony this morning. All good.

When travelling on Saturday can she return to the UK in 2 weeks time with her US Passport + Naturalisation certificate instead of the BRP? The instructions are to destroy/return the BRP immediately, but I'm wondering if she should keep it just for this trip?

We're also just about to do the UK passport application, but do any of the documents (US Passport, Naturalisation Certificate etc.) have to be physically sent, or will she be asked to upload copies?

Obviously we'll have to wait to apply if they need the actual documents sent in.

Thanks

Tim

• Liked: 4985
Re: Travel with Naturalisation Certificate
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 04:14:13 PM »
Do NOT keep the BRP.  Not only a risk of a fine but it’s now invalid.

She can travel with the certificate. May be told off, may not. Just explain exactly as you did here and they’ll be fine with you sorting the passport when she returns.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:02:28 PM »
You've only got 5 working days to send that BRP back or you risk a £5,000 fine.  Look up the thread I posted recently with almost precisely the same situation.  I read a lot of stuff on the internet that terrified me and made me think we couldn't leave the country, but it was fine.  Coming back from France was a piece of cake. 

The bad news is that from what I understand you have to send originals of all your other passports and documents when you apply for a UK  passport.  So don't do that until you are ready to stay in the UK for a while. 

• Liked: 107
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 08:36:25 AM »
You have three months to have the ceremony which is when you OFFICIALLY become a citizen and receive your certificate.

Why not just wait to have the ceremony until after your travels and save any messing around?

Edit:- just re-read and realised she already had her ceremony  ::)
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 08:54:42 AM »
Just FYI, I just returned from Italy after my citizenship ceremony and used my US passport to go through the e-gates.  Worked fine.  Your mileage may vary. 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 10:58:10 AM »
Excellent, and thanks for letting us know how it went.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 06:03:27 PM »
Hi All,
Thanks for the advice/experience. We returned from France yesterday, and like you all said, no problems. The Border Force officer did look at the certificate strangely, and ask what it was, and how long it took my wife to get it, but those were the only questions.
Cheers
Tim

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab