Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Application Procedure + Timelines - Reference Doc  (Read 19857 times)

• Liked: 403
ILR Application Procedure + Timelines - Reference Doc
« on: April 21, 2022, 09:21:24 PM »
Hi everyone,  I thought I'd produce a Reference Doc addressing 5 areas:

• The current ILR Application Procedure for a spouse.
  • Up-to-date processing timelines.
  • Priority slot availability.
  • Application Documents required.
  • Subsequent Passport/Citizenship Application.

This is a work in progress.  Any help, application experience or info to improve it is much appreciated.
I suspect the legendary KSand24, KFDancer and Larrabee will have some input too - hopefully this may save them some repetition! - we all owe you three a gigantic debt of gratitude...

ILR APPLICATION PROCEDURE - 5 Year Route.
1) You can apply 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date you landed.
2) Use the SET(M) form to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK as a partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-settle-in-the-uk-form-setm/apply-online-form-setm
3) Fill out the application form  (includes Life in the UK reference code - which looks something like this PSJ/201120/SW200JF03/C6OO212) ...
4) Submit the Application and pay the application fees - £2400
5) If Super Priority (£800) is available and you choose it you will not be offered use of the app. You will instead receive an email with a registration code for the UKVCAS website, then you: 
- Book Biometric Appointment on the UKVCAS website immediately.
- Upload documents to the UKVCAS website before the Biometrics appointment.
- Attend Biometrics Appointment.
- Receive Visa Approval email if criteria is met - currently within 4-5 hours of the appointment.
6) If you do not choose Super Priority one of two things will happen.
a) You receive the app invite where you can upload documents and Biometrics.
b) You don't receive the app invite so you will:
- Book Biometrics Appointment on the UKVCAS website.
- Upload documents to the UKVCAS website before the Biometrics appointment.
- Attend Biometrics Appointment.
- Wait for visa approval email.
- Then wait.  Try not to fret.  Remember this is a visa guaranteed to be approved if you meet the criteria, which you do...

PROCESSING TIMELINES
Time from completing ILR application to booking a Biometric Appointment:... (can someone who has done this recently please advise).
Time from attending Biometrics Appointment to receiving ILR decision:
- Super Priority gives the decision shortly after Biometrics.  Currently running at 4-5 hours after Biometrics.
- Normal Applications - if you use the app, or attend an appointment instead of using the app, it can take 6 months from submitting the biometrics.
Time from completing ILR application to being granted access to the app:  4-10 days.

PRIORITY SLOT AVAILABILITY
Ksand24: "Not many - I think it was about 50 slots per day but with a lot Ukraine refugees applying now, there aren’t many slots available at all at the moment."

APPLICATION DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
Application Documents
- Applicant's passport.
- Any other passports held since moving to the UK.
- Signed sponsor's declaration (part of online application).
- Life in the UK Test.
- Language Test B1 (not required for applicants from the US, Canada or some other English speaking countries).
Proof of Identity/Travel History
- Sponsor's UK passport.
- Applicant's BRP card.
Finances
- 7 months of payslips.
- 7 months of bank statements.
- Employer letter.
Optional but recommended:
- Job contract.
- Latest P60.
- If using savings - £34,600 held in an account for over 6 months and immediately available.
Residence in the UK
Accommodation
- Lease agreement in both names.
- Latest council tax bill.
Cohabitation
- 6/7 items of mail in each name dated every 5 months going back 2.5 years (from at least 3 different sources). Either named together or within the same calendar month.
Other
- Marriage certificate.
- Any divorce decrees.
If you have any children under 18 living in the UK:
- Each child's passport.
- Each child's birth certificate.
- A letter dated in the last 3 months confirming each child's address (i.e. from GP or school).
- No IHS Surcharge!

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION/PASSPORT
1) Before you can apply for a passport you need to become a UK citizen by applying for citizenship and then attending a UK citizenship ceremony.
2) If you are married to a UK citizen, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you have ILR as long as you meet the 3-year residency requirements.
3) It costs about £1300 for citizenship and can take up to 6 months for processing. You then have 3 months to attend to citizenship ceremony after that.
4) Once you have UK citizenship, you can apply for a UK passport, which is about £80 and takes up to a few weeks for processing.

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION
This is a starting point – any help to improve the quality of the info is much appreciated.
1)   Fill out the Application Form.
2)   There are links to the Referee Forms.
3)   Submit Form + Pay Fee
4)   Mandatory Actions – includes Referee Forms (again) + Family Consent.
5)   Sopra Steria. You love it. Register and book Biometric Appointment – availability approx 21days as of April 2022.
6)   Upload Docs before Biometric Appointment (must complete at least 48hours before) or take the docs to the Appointment if you have booked/paid to have them scanned.

The biggest difference between this and the Spouse Visa applications is the need for two referees and referee forms requiring the following info:

- Name, Sex, DOB
- Address for last 3 years. 
- Phone number.
- Email address.
- Profession.
- British Passport holder Yes/No and Passport Number
- How the referee knows the applicant.

Citizenship Timelines (from one "straightforward" applicant in April 2022)
Time from completing Citizenship Application to Biometrics - 21 Days 
Time from Citizenships Biometrics to Citizenship Decision - 37 Days
So Total from Application to Decision - 58 Days

Here is the link to Form AN – Application for naturalisation as a British Citizen.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/997950/form-an-07-21.pdf

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:11:22 AM by mbmoffat »
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

• Liked: 3589
Re: ILR Application Procedure + Timeline - Reference Doc
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 09:46:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

It seems all application procedure has dramatically changed since we did our FLR(M) in 2020.

Has it? The last big change was in 2018 when Sopra Steria/UKVCAS was brought in for the biometrics.

1) The current ILR Application Procedure for a spouse

It’s pretty much the same as it was for FLR(M) in 2020, except that you may be invited to use the app to submit your biometrics instead of booking and attending a biometrics appointment.

2) Up-to-date processing timelines.

Most people have used Super Priority lately which gives the 24-hour decision.

Otherwise it can be up to 6 months for processing… not sure if it’s currently any faster though

3) Priority slot availability

Not many - I think it was about 50 slots per day but with a lot Ukraine refugees applying now, there aren’t many slots available at all at the moment.

4) Application Documents required. 

Same as for FLR(M) except for ILR you need the Life in the UK test pass reference… and there’s no IHS surcharge to pay this time

5) Passport Application.

Not quite sure what you mean by this… you still have to get through your ILR application (up to 6 months processing), UK citizenship application (up to 6 months processing and UK citizenship ceremony (up to 3 months from citizenship being approved), before you can apply for a UK passport.

ILR APPLICATION PROCEDURE - 5 year route.

1) You can apply 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date you landed.
2) Use the SET(M) form to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK as a partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-settle-in-the-uk-form-setm/apply-online-form-setm
3) Fill it in (I havent done this yet so only going on what I've picked up - further info would be useful!!)
4) Pay your application fees - £2400.
5) Enter Life in the UK reference code - it looks something like this PSJ/201120/SW200JF03/C6OO212

That’s all correct, except that you enter the Life in the UK test reference as part of the online application, when you fill it out. The last thing you do in that list is pay for the visa (purchasing priority at the same time if it is available).

Ok here's where it gets hazy.  I understand then the application form tells you UKVCAS will be in touch (within 10 days) if you are eligible to use the app
This app is then used to download the docs - presumably this has superceded Sopra Steria.

No, this is a new thing specifically for ILR applicants, which only started a few weeks ago. The app was originally introduced in mid-2020 to ease the Covid backlog of UKVCAS appointments… it was then retired for all except Tier 4 applicants but they have decided to enable it for ILR applicants now.

Most people applying for visas still attend the normal UKVCAS biometrics appointment, but if you are applying for ILR and are NOT using Super Priority you may be invited to use the app instead.

6) Using the app you photograph and upload your docs. Regret buying the big scanner yesterday (maybe that's just me...).
7) Book biometric appointment. Regular or Priority (pay £800) (see below for news on Priority bookings)

If you use the app, you do not need to book or attend a biometrics appointment.

But if you go for Super Priority for £800 you will be able book an appointment right away and will not be offered use of the app.

PROCESSING TIMELINES
Time from Entering Life in the UK Test to being given access to the app - currently 4 days.
Time from completing application to obtaining ILR Approval - does anyone know?

The timeline all depends on:
- whether you use Super Priority
- whether you are offered the app
- when you attend an appointment if needed

If you use Super Priority, you will get a decision within a few hours of biometrics

If you use the app, or attend an appointment instead of using the app, it can take 6 months from submitting the biometrics.

PRIORITY SLOT AVAILIBILITY
Until early April I heard some Priority Slots were made available each night at midnight or 1am.
Mid April these seem to have dried up. Any further info around this would be much appreciated.

They have reduced the number available due to an increase in Ukraine applicants. You can still try for one around midnight to 2am but there’s no guarantee.

Your document list all looks good.

PASSPORT APPLICATION
I know if you are married you can make the application soon after and don't need to wait a year.
This is a work in progress - I haven't got around to this yet ... if you know anything about this please let me know.

Before you can apply for a passport you need to become a UK citizen by applying for citizenship and then attending a UK citizenship ceremony.

If you are married to a UK citizen, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you have ILR as long as you meet the 3-year residency requirements.

It costs about £1300 for citizenship and can take up to 6 months for processing. You then have 3 months to attend to citizenship ceremony after that.

Once you have UK citizenship, you can apply for a UK passport, which is about £80 and takes up to a few weeks for processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 09:50:14 PM »
Brilliant notes Ksand. Thank you.  I will update to reflect everything you mention.

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »
But if you go for Super Priority for £800 you will be able book an appointment right away and will not be offered use of the app.

Ksand. If you go for Super Priority £800 and book an appointment, what is the procedure for uploading docs - is it still Sopra Steria?

Very best,

Matt

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Ksand. If you go for Super Priority £800 and book an appointment, what is the procedure for uploading docs - is it still Sopra Steria?

Very best,

Matt
Yes, nothing has changed in that regard.

The overall application process is all still the same:

1. Gather documents
2. Fill out application form, including the Life in the U.K. test reference number
3. Submit application, pay for the visa and Super Priority
4. Book biometrics on the UKVCAS website
5. Upload documents to the UKVCAS website before the appointment
6. Attend biometrics
7. Wait for visa approval email (with Super Priority most have been getting the email within about 5 hours of the appointment)

If you are not using Super Priority it’s:

1. Gather documents
2. Fill out application form, including the Life in the U.K. test reference number
3. Submit application, pay for the visa and Super Priority
4. Wait up to 10 days for an app invite

If you get the app invite:
5. Upload documents to the app and submit your photo/fingerprints on the app
6. Wait for visa approval email

If you don’t get the app invite:
5. Book biometrics on the UKVCAS website
6. Upload documents to the UKVCAS website
7. Attend biometrics
8. Wait for visa approval email

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 11:16:25 PM »
Dear KSand24,

Your advice and guidance is, as always, brilliant.

So my next question is, when you go in initially and submit the application, if there is no Super Priority option available do you just stop and come back to it at a later date in the hope that Super Priority will appear?   Or do you finalise it as a normal application and upgrade to Super Priority at a later stage?

Very best,

Matt

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 12:04:21 AM »
Dear KSand24,

Your advice and guidance is, as always, brilliant.

So my next question is, when you go in initially and submit the application, if there is no Super Priority option available do you just stop and come back to it at a later date in the hope that Super Priority will appear?   Or do you finalise it as a normal application and upgrade to Super Priority at a later stage?

Very best,

Matt

Super Priority can ONLY be purchased at the time you submit and pay for the application.

It cannot be added later.

So, if the option doesn’t show up when you first go to pay for the application, you will need to leave it and try again another day.

You can keep trying on different days when they release the appointments (somewhere around midnight to 2am, I think) to see if the Super Priority option shows up.

If it doesn’t though, you may need to just go with the standard 6-month processing… it depends how many days you’re willing to keep on checking for it.

Re: ILR Application (5Year) Procedure + Timeline - Reference Doc
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
It would be grerat if we can hear from anyone who has had any success booking Super Priority recently.

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

• Liked: 424
Re: ILR Application Procedure + Timelines - Reference Doc
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »
It would be grerat if we can hear from anyone who has had any success booking Super Priority recently.

I’ve used priority very recently. How can I help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 05:08:23 PM »
I’ve used priority very recently. How can I help?

Hi Rick, I remember you!... been a while...  just trying to get a handle on where the process is at the moment

So Super Priority:
1) What date approx did you book Super Priority (trying to evaluate the effect Ukraine applications are having)
2) How did you book it - i.e. what time of day worked for you?
3) How long from booking was your Biometrics Appointment

All the best,

Matt

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 09:48:03 PM by mbmoffat »

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

• Liked: 424
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 05:22:15 PM »
Hey there!
I applied on February 21 at one minute after midnight….ugh what an alarm! Attended biometrics on March 18 at 8:30 am. Had my decision in about 3 1/2 hours. When I originally looked there were no priority appointments available. So, remembering what others have done (and shared here) I set my alarm….dragged myself out of bed and priority was available. Only one location and only 4 possible appointments. Absolutely worth the extra £800…..if you can get it. I just couldn’t picture waiting 6 months for a decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 05:40:05 PM »
Thanks Rick, very helpful.   

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

• Liked: 92
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »
Great post! One concern I now have is how long you must wait to go to a biometrics appointment after submitting the application. Seems like many people waiting a full month, and no real way to find out about availability ahead of time. I was hoping to do all if during month of June so I could go on a trip abroad but now will probably wait until I’m back. Just wanted it done!
Application: April 5 2017
Biometrics: April 13 2017
Received: April 19 2017
Decision email: June 6 2017
Decision: June 8 2017 -- APPROVED! 😊
Arrived in UK: June 24, 2017

FLR(m): Applied standard - 20 Dec 2019
Biometrics done - 13 January 2020
Approved for FLR(m)!  Feb 2020

ILR Applied Super Priority - 12 July 2022
Biometrics (got a cancellation!) -13 July 2022
APPROVED! - 13 July 2022

Next up - Naturalisation application!

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 06:27:58 PM »
Great post! One concern I now have is how long you must wait to go to a biometrics appointment after submitting the application. Seems like many people waiting a full month, and no real way to find out about availability ahead of time. I was hoping to do all if during month of June so I could go on a trip abroad but now will probably wait until I’m back. Just wanted it done!
Hi Jess!....
I am rounding up some averages for Application to Biometric Appointments.   However after the delay in the summer 5 years ago wrecked our extensive travel plans (they had our passports!), I am sort of not making plans until I have it in the bag....

Best,

Matt

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

• Liked: 9
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 07:19:39 AM »
Hi mbmoffat, just a piece of clarification regarding timeline for biometric appointment. I believe the timing of 21 days after submission was taken from my earlier post? I should mention that this was for a "free" appointment, i.e. one that I didn't have to pay for (free as in free beer, as they say). If I had been willing to pay, I would have been able to book one much sooner, IIRC possibly even on the next day. I didn't see a need for such a hurry for a citizenship application, and in fact I could use the time gap to get the supporting documents scanned and uploaded.

The availability of appointments also varies greatly from location to location. Again IIRC, the location most convenient to me had no "free" appointment available in the future at that time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:23:35 AM by NW_Transplant »
My Immigration Timeline:
Spouse visa: Applied online 05-03-2016 / Granted 10-04-2016
Arrival in UK: 01-05-2016
FLR(M): Applied online 11-12-2018 / Granted 08-01-2019 (Super Priority)
SET(M): Applied online 06-07-2021 / Granted 02-08-2021 (Super Priority)
Citizenship: Applied online 24-02-2022 / Approved 22-04-2022 / Granted 18-05-2022
First UK Passport: Applied online 10-06-2022 / Received 15-07-2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab