Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: STILL Waiting for US Passport Back from HMPO. Travel on British Passport?  (Read 4294 times)

• Liked: 108
Hi all.

We applied and received our daughter’s US passport no problems. We then applied for her British passport and had to submit her US passport as part of the evidence. She received her British passport over four weeks ago yet we are STILL waiting for our supporting documents back which contain her US passport.

We travel to the states in just over two weeks and really starting to get itchy. The supporting docs are supposed to take two weeks after receiving the British passport. HMPO are useless at telling me where they are. They said I didn’t pay for special delivery which I did etc etc. I’m not expecting them to pull through.

So, will travelling on her British passport be acceptable do you think? Obviously with an ESTA. However, I imagine the USBC’s systems show her as a citizen since she’s been registered etc. Not exactly sure what to do.

TIA
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 16
She can’t travel on her British passport and an ESTA because she’s a US citizen, as you point out.

You could get an emergency US passport when your travel date gets closer.

She can’t travel on her British passport and an ESTA because she’s a US citizen, as you point out.

You could get an emergency US passport when your travel date gets closer.

I understand but I was wondering if it’s a case of they’ll let you in anyway. For instance a British citizen shouldn’t travel into Britain without a British passport but if you took your citizenship certificate they’ll likely let you in.

Can’t get a passport appointment for love nor money. I’m so angry at HMPO
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 3598
I understand but I was wondering if it’s a case of they’ll let you in anyway. For instance a British citizen shouldn’t travel into Britain without a British passport but if you took your citizenship certificate they’ll likely let you in.

Can’t get a passport appointment for love nor money. I’m so angry at HMPO
The difference is that it is illegal for a US citizen to enter the US on a foreign passport… because the US officially doesn’t ‘recognise’ dual citizenship. To them, your daughter is a US citizen only and they will not acknowledge that she also holds U.K. citizenship. Therefore she cannot use a UK passport to enter the US.

On the other hand, it is NOT illegal for a UK citizen to enter the UK on a foreign passport, and so if they can provide evidence of their UK citizenship (birth certificate or naturalisation certificate) they can be let in as a UK citizen, or if they can’t provide evidence, they will be stamped in for 6 months as a visitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1903
In my experience, the US takes the law about entering the US on a foreign passport very seriously.  I was told about this law multiple times by different people at the Embassy and told in no uncertain terms never to break it. 

I've gone to the Embassy and gotten a temporary US  passport when the Home Office had my US passport.  The list of requirements is published and if you meet those, you get the passport.  It wasn't a big deal.  Of course, the Home Office returned my other passport the day before I was due to leave! 

I'd give up on travelling with your foreign passport and think more about getting a temporary one.  HTH
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:55:24 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 4993
On the other hand, it is NOT illegal for a UK citizen to enter the UK on a foreign passport, and so if they can provide evidence of their UK citizenship (birth certificate or naturalisation certificate) they can be let in as a UK citizen, or if they can’t provide evidence, they will be stamped in for 6 months as a visitor.

Thank you for that, we travel in July and I don't think we will have our son's passport renewal back by then (applied April 11th).  That's good to know that we can use his birth certificate (and we have a photocopy of his previous British passport).  I genuinely thought we wouldn't be able to re-enter (easily) without the passport...

Ben, I'd do an emergency passport next week if you still don't have your US passport.  It's likely you'll need to declare it as lost anyway.  I know it's a PITA going to the embassy.... but....  it's either do it now or after your trip.  I don't think you'll see that passport again...  If it helps in the future, I always apply for the US and UK passports at the same time, that way I don't have to mail the US passport (I just send a photo copy of the previous one and say it's currently being renewed).  I've never had an issue.

Thank you for that, we travel in July and I don't think we will have our son's passport renewal back by then (applied April 11th).  That's good to know that we can use his birth certificate (and we have a photocopy of his previous British passport).  I genuinely thought we wouldn't be able to re-enter (easily) without the passport...

That part was off the top of my head and I don’t know how easily they will let someone as a U.K. citizen in without their U.K. passport… my point was just that it’s not actually illegal for a dual US-UK citizen to enter the UK on a US passport.

I would double-check the requirements before you travel.

• Liked: 4993
Hmmm.....  I guess we shall see where we are at in July.  Hopefully we will have his passport and it won't be an issue.  But if we don't...  well, I'll be prepared to report to the Home Office to prove citizenship after being stamped in as a visitor if necessary....  <sigh>

I will carry ALL THE PAPERWORK if it is not back in time.  I like to think they'll pull their fingers out by then with the media/government pressure.

Sorry to highjack your thread Ben.  I hope your child's passport is returned today!  Do you have a photocopy of it?  I wonder if you showed that at the US border in conjunction with her physical British passport, if they'd allow you some grace.  I do think it's likely the passport is lost and that you'll need to apply for a new one regardless....   ::)

I’ve managed to get an appointment at the embassy. Do they do sameday passports? It’s just a standard appointment but not sure if sameday requires a special appointment. Can anybody clarify?
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

It's 5 weeks now with still no supporting documents received. I managed to get through to the management service on the phone (after...wait for it....FIVE HOURS) and he said it looks like they've not even been sent.

Spoke to TNT and they have no assignment for my address.

So, the documents are just sitting in Peterborough. I even offered to drive down to get them. HMPO are useless.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

That sucks

If you are within 5 working days of your flight to the US, you can try for an emergency passport appointment at the US embassy:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/emergency-passports/

That sucks

If you are within 5 working days of your flight to the US, you can try for an emergency passport appointment at the US embassy:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/emergency-passports/

I actually managed to get a passport appointment for Monday 16th (we fly 19th) so at least I have that as backup. But it means 3:00am wake up, 5 hour drive, fuel, babysitting for eldest, price of new passport, and renewal after a year instead of five. Such a pain when we just need somebody to get the passport and send it!
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

I actually managed to get a passport appointment for Monday 16th (we fly 19th) so at least I have that as backup. But it means 3:00am wake up, 5 hour drive, fuel, babysitting for eldest, price of new passport, and renewal after a year instead of five. Such a pain when we just need somebody to get the passport and send it!
Is that a standard appointment or an emergency one?

If it’s a standard appointment, I believe it will be the normal 3-week processing time, plus potentially a few days for the passport to be delivered by courier. So if you need the passport in time to travel on the 19th, you’ll need to request an emergency appointment instead.

Is that a standard appointment or an emergency one?

If it’s a standard appointment, I believe it will be the normal 3-week processing time, plus potentially a few days for the passport to be delivered by courier. So if you need the passport in time to travel on the 19th, you’ll need to request an emergency appointment instead.

Yes it's standard appt. I emailed the embassy passport email address asking that exact question and their response was "the appointment scheduled allows for a limited validity emergency passport to be issued, if required".

I interpret this as a same-day passport. Do you agree? I want to make absolute sure.
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Yes it's standard appt. I emailed the embassy passport email address asking that exact question and their response was "the appointment scheduled allows for a limited validity emergency passport to be issued, if required".

I interpret this as a same-day passport. Do you agree? I want to make absolute sure.
Ah, okay - I wasn’t aware that was possible to do at a standard appointment.

I have no idea whether it’s a same-day service or not, though. Hopefully someone else who has applied for an emergency passport will be able to help.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab