Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Newbie, planning to move to the UK early 2023  (Read 2529 times)

• Liked: 1
Newbie, planning to move to the UK early 2023
« on: May 15, 2022, 11:40:14 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name's Daniel.  I currently live and work in Alabama, but my plans are to move to the UK around the start of next year.  I'm an IT professional, but I'm finishing up a degree in History (even at 43, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up...lol).  I will be graduating in December, which is the reason I need to wait until after that to make my move.

Ideally, I'd like to live in Lichfield and work as a 2nd tier IT Helpdesk Analyst within a 45-50 minute bus/train commute.  However, I'm not completely tied to that area.  I've made three trips to the UK in recent years and absolutely fell in love from the first moment.  Funny enough, in those three trips I never went to London (Been to York, various areas in Wales, areas around Birmingham, and Lichfield).

The reason I sought out this forum is because as time gets closer to my graduation, I'm going to need advice on making sure my CV is ready to go, job hunting tips, the visa/moving process.  Right now, though, I'll just take a look at the forums.  Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Newbie, planning to move to the UK early 2023
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:57:19 AM »
Hi everyone!

My name's Daniel.  I currently live and work in Alabama, but my plans are to move to the UK around the start of next year.  I'm an IT professional, but I'm finishing up a degree in History (even at 43, I don't know what I want to do when I grow up...lol).  I will be graduating in December, which is the reason I need to wait until after that to make my move.

Ideally, I'd like to live in Lichfield and work as a 2nd tier IT Helpdesk Analyst within a 45-50 minute bus/train commute.  However, I'm not completely tied to that area.  I've made three trips to the UK in recent years and absolutely fell in love from the first moment.  Funny enough, in those three trips I never went to London (Been to York, various areas in Wales, areas around Birmingham, and Lichfield).

The reason I sought out this forum is because as time gets closer to my graduation, I'm going to need advice on making sure my CV is ready to go, job hunting tips, the visa/moving process.  Right now, though, I'll just take a look at the forums.  Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Welcome to the forum.  :) Most of our members come to the UK on one of the partner visas but we do have a fair number who have come for work too.

Here's a link to the work visa information to get you started. https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »
Welcome, good luck with your move. 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »
Welcome to the site. Our son is in the same field, and moved back to England in 2017. He had no problem finding a job so hopefully you will have similar success. (He is a dual US/UK citizen so no visa issues)

He found his first job through indeed.com then a year ago he was head-hunted to another job.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »
Thank you all!  I know it won't be extremely easy getting moved to the UK, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab