Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wise Card  (Read 2633 times)

• Liked: 13
Wise Card
« on: May 18, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »
So I am having my first really awful experience with Wise.  On Sunday I ordered a Wise card as it seemed like a great way to handle travel money, low fees for currency exchange, cheap/free cash withdrawals, and our experience with them has been good on currency xfer and making foreign payments.  We leave on Sunday so I paid to expedite the delivery so card would arrive today.  Total cost £17.  Fast forward to today, no DHL tracking number and Wise has no idea what has happened.  I’ve had a web chat and 5 hours later I called as I hadn’t received an update, they still don’t know what’s happened.  They say it looks like their card provider created the card and sent it out, but they don’t have any tracking info.  So now I wonder if I wait or go buy a travel money card somewhere.  If anyone has glowing experiences of using their Wise card I’d love to hear them as I’m seriously questioning my choice at this point.

• Liked: 55
Re: Wise Card
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »
I've has a Wise account for a while now and the online part has been great - use it to receive my monthly SS Retirement income which then means I accumulate dollars in the account and can transfer into £ when it suits me and at a rate of exchange I know vs the vague rate given by a high street bank.

Recently I decided that I wanted to spend US $ directly (to top up my Marriott points) and so requested a Wise debit card. This wasn't urgent and so I was happy to wait  for the physical card to arrive by regular mail - ordered on June 17 and card arrived 4 days later. As it is also a virtual card and I knew the card number I was able to spend immediately which I did on June 18th.

For me it was an easy experience and an easy way to spend in USD when I have USD in the account. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 02:21:02 PM »
Sorry for being too lazy to Google.  But is there a fee attached to the account?

• Liked: 55
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:43 PM »
There’s a one time £5 fee for the debit card - the account itself is free just the (low) currency transfer fees and generally better rate than the banks.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 02:33:32 PM »
I had a similar issue last year then ended up having to re send the card but have loved it since.
Product Manager working on trying to help fellow UK based Americans in his free time - watch this space https://indexusa.softr.app/ [nofollow]

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 07:16:31 PM »
There’s a one time £5 fee for the debit card - the account itself is free just the (low) currency transfer fees and generally better rate than the banks.

I don’t have a card but enjoy having my account. I have it linked to my  Vanguard account and the first time I moved some money over I chose the wire option because it is free to me from Vanguard and receiving in my US HSBC account. However, Wise charges a small fee for receiving wires, so for further transfers I chose ACH transfers which take a few days but are free.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab