Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Self employed applying for maternity allowance  (Read 2360 times)

• Liked: 1
Self employed applying for maternity allowance
« on: May 20, 2022, 05:25:46 PM »
Hi all!

First, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. It really helped us when we were filing for my UK visa!

I'm self-employed applying for maternity allowance (we're due in July). I arrived in the UK on a spouse visa in October 2020. I've been self-employed the entire time. But because of the nature of my work, I don't receive payslips -- I invoice for work. The Maternity Allowance application form says I only need to submit my MAT B1 certificate and the application form (as I'm self employed). It doesn't seem to ask for any other supplementary documents in my case.

As far as I can tell, I should be eligible for maternity allowance. I paid Class 2 National insurance every week and have made above the £30/week threshold also since I arrived in the UK. I submitted and paid my UK tax return for the 2020-21 tax year and for the 2021-22 (early).

Should I send in my filed tax returns or proof of tax payment as supplementary documents to the Maternity Allowance application as well? Or should I just submit the minimum and wait to see if they ask for supplementary documents?

I've looked through the forum to see if this particular question has been raised and couldn't find it, so please forgive me if I've missed it!
Aug. 30, 2020: online application for spouse visa (priority)
Sept. 25, 2020: biometrics taken at ASC & passport sent
Oct. 7, 2020: "The processed visa .. is dispatched..." text
Oct. 9, 2020: passport w/ vignette received via UPS
Oct. 26, 2020: arrived in UK

• Liked: 6110
Re: Self employed applying for maternity allowance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 09:06:18 PM »
Hi all!

First, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. It really helped us when we were filing for my UK visa!

I'm self-employed applying for maternity allowance (we're due in July). I arrived in the UK on a spouse visa in October 2020. I've been self-employed the entire time. But because of the nature of my work, I don't receive payslips -- I invoice for work. The Maternity Allowance application form says I only need to submit my MAT B1 certificate and the application form (as I'm self employed). It doesn't seem to ask for any other supplementary documents in my case.

As far as I can tell, I should be eligible for maternity allowance. I paid Class 2 National insurance every week and have made above the £30/week threshold also since I arrived in the UK. I submitted and paid my UK tax return for the 2020-21 tax year and for the 2021-22 (early).

Should I send in my filed tax returns or proof of tax payment as supplementary documents to the Maternity Allowance application as well? Or should I just submit the minimum and wait to see if they ask for supplementary documents?

I've looked through the forum to see if this particular question has been raised and couldn't find it, so please forgive me if I've missed it!

They should be able to see your tax position and NI contributions from their end so I wouldn't send anything that they don't specifically ask for.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
I agree with Larabee.  As everything is controlled by HMRC, it’s a much more modern process.

I often wish the IRS would catchup! 

On that note, while I’m not exactly sure how it works with self employed income, I would recommend speaking with a tax professional (I’d recommend Jenny at Monument tax). You may be able to qualify for US additional child tax credits which is $1,400 a year.  It’s quite nice!  But I know self employment changes things a bit from the US tax perspective so best to speak with a professional.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »
Thank you so much for your replies! This is really helpful! I didn't know about the US tax credits -- that's a great tip!
Aug. 30, 2020: online application for spouse visa (priority)
Sept. 25, 2020: biometrics taken at ASC & passport sent
Oct. 7, 2020: "The processed visa .. is dispatched..." text
Oct. 9, 2020: passport w/ vignette received via UPS
Oct. 26, 2020: arrived in UK

Sponsored Links