Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No Navy Beans...hmmm what beans will work in it's place?  (Read 2290 times)

• Liked: 9
No Navy Beans...hmmm what beans will work in it's place?
« on: May 24, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
I want to make old style (navy) beans and cornbread with ham. First off, I'm having trouble finding ham hocks, and secondly, navy beans aren't a thing over here? Any suggestions on where to get ham hocks (are ham shanks the same thing?) and alternatives to navy beans?

• Liked: 6110
Re: No Navy Beans...hmmm what beans will work in it's place?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »
I want to make old style (navy) beans and cornbread with ham. First off, I'm having trouble finding ham hocks, and secondly, navy beans aren't a thing over here? Any suggestions on where to get ham hocks (are ham shanks the same thing?) and alternatives to navy beans?

Apparently navy beans are known as haricot beans here. And I think shanks are hocks.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »
They spell them ham hough here which may be throwing you off.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »
Plenty of navy beans around!  All of Heinz beanz are made from navy beans  ;)

Apparently haricot beans are called navy beans in the USA because of the US Navy.

'The name "Navy bean" is an American term coined because the US Navy has served the beans as a staple to its sailors since the mid-1800s.'  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_bean

Do generic haricot beans not work for you? Are you looking for a particular type?

Simon Howie does a smoked ham hough for supermarkets.  I get ham houghs really cheap from my butcher though and good butcher should be able to get this for you  :)

Yum, comfort food!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab