Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tips on building credit  (Read 2521 times)

• Liked: 0
Tips on building credit
« on: June 13, 2022, 12:44:50 PM »
Hi, my American wife has just moved to the UK and has set herself up with a Starling bank account. She's now trying to get a phone on contract, but when we tried the application was denied due to a lack of credit history. What are some ways she can build credit here quickly, so that we can get a UK phone contract for her? Any tips appreciated!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Tips on building credit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »
Hi, my American wife has just moved to the UK and has set herself up with a Starling bank account. She's now trying to get a phone on contract, but when we tried the application was denied due to a lack of credit history. What are some ways she can build credit here quickly, so that we can get a UK phone contract for her? Any tips appreciated!

Martin Lewis is the Oracle for this sort of thing.  :)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/build-credit-history/

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 08:14:44 AM »
We use 1p mobile payg and it's great. Contracts are so much more expensive.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
We added our son to our mobile phone plan for a few months until he had built a credit history. He built his credit history the usual way by paying utility bills and council taxes. Good link to Martin Lewis above, that would be the first place I’d look for tips.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »
Following.

It's a complete nightmare to get credit.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 07:21:13 AM »
Any updates on this?

I can’t find any cards that will accept me even with the worst APR imaginable. I have excellent credit in the US and it feels like a waste of time building all of that just to get denied again.

How do first timers who grew up in the UK do this?

Does anyone know how to start a line of credit here? Is it easier to take out a loan? I’m desperate to start (re)building my credit

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 08:53:50 AM »
Any updates on this?

I can’t find any cards that will accept me even with the worst APR imaginable. I have excellent credit in the US and it feels like a waste of time building all of that just to get denied again.

Does anyone know how to start a line of credit here? Is it easier to take out a loan? I’m desperate to start (re)building my credit

Welcome!

Did you read through the moneysavingepert information at the link I gave above? They really are very good.

I just had another very quick look and they have a credit card eligibility checker and a special credit building product called Loqbox as well as pretty comprehensive advice.

I think time helps too, if you've been refused credit several times recently, that will hurt you and the longer you've been at your address will help.

Do you have a partner? Getting your name on the bills and on one of their accounts will help too.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
Any updates on this?

Along with the https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/build-credit-history/ above here is another site with tips on how to build credit from Experian.co.uk

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/building-credit.html

Note that both sites say that it is extremely important to be on the Electoral Roll so first thing to do is register to vote.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:36:26 PM »
Any updates on this?

Along with the https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/build-credit-history/ above here is another site with tips on how to build credit from Experian.co.uk

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/building-credit.html

Note that both sites say that it is extremely important to be on the Electoral Role so first thing to do is register to vote.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
Note that both sites say that it is extremely important to be on the Electoral Role so first thing to do is register to vote.

If she is American, she is not legally allowed to vote so cannot be put on the Electoral Roll.

However, I believe that it may be possible to have a note put on the Electoral Roll stating that she cannot vote, which I think may help with establishing credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »
If she is American, she is not legally allowed to vote so cannot be put on the Electoral Roll.

However, I believe that it may be possible to have a note put on the Electoral Roll stating that she cannot vote, which I think may help with establishing credit.

Except in Scotland. Immigrants are allowed to register to vote without ILR. But we can only vote in Scottish elections.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 03:22:21 PM »

True dat  :)

She (Baby_Mushroom) didn't give any info about herself when she asked, but inferred that she grew up in the UK which is similar to our son's situation who registered to vote as soon as he came here after 30 years living in the USA.

Any updates on this?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:28:20 PM by durhamlad »

Sponsored Links