Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Roe v Wade Overturned  (Read 5549 times)

• Liked: 387
Roe v Wade Overturned
« on: June 24, 2022, 05:18:45 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61928898

I never thought it would happen, at least in my lifetime.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Roe v Wade Overturned
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 05:27:31 PM »
To be honest, I've always been scared that this might happen.

It's terrifying now that it has though. It literally has taken the rights of women back to the dark ages. A very sad day.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 06:32:56 PM »
I just want to know if anyone ANYONE thinks that making abortion illegal means it won’t happen?

And I’d also like to ask all the supporters of the ruling if they LOVED the movie Dirty Dancing.  Because I think people forget the plot to the film….   ::)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 06:52:46 PM »
Really terrible news, awful.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 10:38:56 AM »
I've always heard that the right to contraception  and same sex marriage were next in line, but figured it was exaggeration.  I was VERY surprised to read that Thomas actually said it in his decision!  Wow.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »
I've always heard that the right to contraception  and same sex marriage were next in line, but figured it was exaggeration.  I was VERY surprised to read that Thomas actually said it in his decision!  Wow.

Yes, I'd heard about that as well. Absolutely terrible news. Interracial marriage was only made legal in 1967 by the Supreme Court, 6 years before Roe v Wade. I expect that would be on their target list as well except for the fact that Thomas is in an interracial marriage.

How likely is another civil war? The Brooking Institution has a recent article with the "shocking" news that a recent poll showed a significant number of Americans believe it will happen in their lifetime. So sad that this is even seriously thought about.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2021/09/16/is-the-us-headed-for-another-civil-war/

A 2021 national survey by pollster John Zogby found a plurality of Americans (46%) believed a future civil war was likely, 43% felt it was unlikely, and 11% were not sure. War seemed more likely for younger people (53%) than older ones (31%), and for those residing in the South (49%) and Central/Great Lakes region (48%) relative to those in the East (39%).

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »

What's popular on my FB feed is people sharing a picture with the words (or close variation of) "The road to fascism is lined with people telling you to stop overreacting."

In light of this, I can see where that sentiment is coming from.

For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.

- Justice Clarence Thomas

Griswold v. Connecticut, 1965 - couples have a right to contraception
Lawrence v. Texas, 2003 - consensual same sex activity should be legal
Obergefell v. Hodges, 2015 - right of gay couples to marry
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 02:06:41 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 02:04:21 PM »
I expect that would be on their target list as well except for the fact that Thomas is in an interracial marriage.

I know, right? 

:\\\'( all over.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »

How likely is another civil war?

Really fascinating podcast:
" It Could Happen Here is a 2019 podcast created by Robert Evans of Cracked fame. Evans' podcast looks at potential disasters and events and examines what their fallout could be, laying out what happens as each domino falls. The first season examines the political divide in the United States that was intensified by the 2016 elections, and does a What If? on the idea if the divisions were to spiral into a full-out civil war.

Citing actual civil wars that are currently going on, along with other trends seen, the podcast details how such a war would realistically look like in the US, and what factions would be active during such an event."

I only listened to the first series but it was frightening.  Mostly about how in rural areas, there's hardly any actual police and places like Northern California would be impossible to control. 

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 03:32:07 PM »
Thanks, I have found and downloaded that podcast to listen to.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 04:28:13 PM »
Thanks, I have found and downloaded that podcast to listen to.

Very good podcast.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 05:30:54 PM »
Very good podcast.
Glad you like it!  Series 1 is where they really cover the nuts and bolts of what a civil war would look like.  Start there.  Let me know if you listen to the other stuff and whether or not it's any good. 

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 06:33:31 PM »
Glad you like it!  Series 1 is where they really cover the nuts and bolts of what a civil war would look like.  Start there.  Let me know if you listen to the other stuff and whether or not it's any good.

I’ve downloaded the next few episodes to listen to.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 07:27:29 PM »
I am so angry. So upset. So pissed off. So frightened.  So incredibly horrified. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 11:14:07 PM »
Shades of "states' rights".  >:(      The last time we had that "discussion" we ended up with  +/- 750,000 dead.
The truly down side of a civil war here, in this case, is that Bubba has all the guns right now.  ::)

Trump is out of office and his fallout is still wreaking havoc.

Thankfully, there are a number of states stepping up to protect our rights. But there are a significant number of others who are acting with all possible speed to strip them away.  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/list-where-every-state-stands-on-abortion   goes state-by-state.

As decided in conversation with the Daughter today, her job search has just been radically overhauled and "red" states (those on the charts that are implementing bans) are now off her list for seeking or accepting employment.  She had a second interview this week with an employer in Wisconsin. It went very well, but she will be refusing an offer if they make one and will be sure to point out it's because of the state's infringement of her rights. I support her completely on that decision.  She has another follow-up interview in DC this coming week. At least she could live in Maryland if they decide to offer her the position, so that one is still doable. The original plan of living in Virginia is completely off the table now.

We also will no longer travel to "those" states for vacation  purposes. If we are traveling by air (eventually, someday!), we will not book layovers in those states.  If I had property in those states, I'd have it on the "for sale" market and be pulling any and ~all~ assets out of those states as fast as was humanly possible.  (Already actually did that, before we left, anyway. But if...)

We will also no longer be doing business with entities that are either HQ/located in those states or that have provided funding for any phase of the anti-women's/human rights campaigns going on right now.  We'd pretty much already been there on that last bit, but we are doubling down and researching the hell out of the companies with which we have done business to make sure we are doing everything we can. And making sure to let them know why we were no longer doing business with them.  They are the folks who elected the people who run their states, so they can fix the situation or not - it's in their laps.

It isn't a heck of a lot, when all is said and done. But we will at least have done what little we can do, at present.

Sponsored Links