Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dumb question time again  (Read 719 times)

• Liked: 149
Dumb question time again
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
Trying to figure out how to do my self assessment online this year. I turned my first UK taxes on paper last year. How the heck do you register? I've gone through the Govt Gateway route a couple of times and I end up needing more information for my business tax account.....I'm not a business...I'm retired. What am I missing? There has got to be an easier way of doing this.....
Fred

• Liked: 45
Re: Dumb question time again
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:50:31 AM »
You’ll need a UTR which you can get via your online tax account. Not sure why they have you as a business though… Maybe one for the HMRC call center to answer.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
Trying to figure out how to do my self assessment online this year. I turned my first UK taxes on paper last year. How the heck do you register? I've gone through the Govt Gateway route a couple of times and I end up needing more information for my business tax account.....I'm not a business...I'm retired. What am I missing? There has got to be an easier way of doing this.....

There is a conspicuous part of both of our online accounts dedicated to business  which is not relevant to either of us, I think it's just built into the system.

Presumably you can't see anything that says personal account?

But, yes, I'd get in touch. This is the info. for problems registering an account etc

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/self-assessment-online-services-helpdesk

.Get help with:

problems logging on or registering for an online service
problems submitting forms
error messages in your online account or on HMRC forms
downloading and using HMRC free software and tools
Have your HMRC Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number with you when you call.

Contact Self Assessment: general enquiries if you have a question about how to fill in a tax return.

Telephone:
0300 200 3600

Textphone:
0300 200 3603

Outside UK:
+44 161 930 8445

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 12:58:12 PM »

You are overthinking it, just plough on and request a UTR. As Larrabee says, our online HMRC accounts have a section dedicated to our "Business Account" which neither of us have.

However you do raise a point that I didn't know.  You say that you have been filing on paper but don't have a UTR.  I thought everyone needed a UTR who was filing a self assessment return.  On their paperwork to you is there not a UTR printed somewhere, as you may have been assigned one when you filed?

See below, you can call or write to them to request your UTR.

https://www.gosimpletax.com/blog/a-guide-to-utr-numbers/

HMRC issues you with a UTR number when you register for a Self Assessment tax return.

If you’ve already registered, your UTR can be found quoted on various documents from HMRC including:

Your SA250, or your “welcome to self-assessment” letter
Previous self-assessment tax returns
Reminders of payment
Your notice to file a tax return
Your statement of account
It can also be found on your personal account on the HMRC website.

WHAT HAPPENS IF I’VE LOST MY UTR NUMBER?
Don’t panic if you’ve lost your UTR number. Make sure to check all of the documents listed above to see if you can find it there. If you still can’t see it, you should contact HMRC directly by phone.

UTR numbers are unique to every individual so it’s important you keep yours safe. Losing a UTR number can be potentially dangerous as it can result in identity theft in a worst-case scenario.

DO YOU NEED A UTR NUMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR RETURN?
Yes, you need a UTR number to complete your self-assessment tax return successfully.

If you’re self-employed, or you own a limited company, you need a UTR number.

HOW DO I GET A UTR NUMBER?
One of the quickest ways to get a UTR number is by applying online and registering as self-employed. This can be done on HMRC’s website. As soon as you register for self-assessment or set up a limited company, you will automatically be issued a UTR number.

You can also call HMRC on 0300 200 3310 to ask about your UTR number. They may ask for some information (including personal details and your National Insurance number). They may end up directing you towards applying for your UTR number online.

Finally, you can write a letter to HMRC asking to send you a UTR number. Whilst this used to be the preferred option, people are gradually beginning to move towards online methods instead.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 01:02:56 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 149
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »
Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking it. I didn't "register" for online taxes last year because I missed the date I needed to apply. I do have a 10 digit UTR number that came back with some paperwork last year. Is the UTR all I need to do my taxes online.....or do I need to "register" in some other way before getting started on the online process?
Fred

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »
Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking it. I didn't "register" for online taxes last year because I missed the date I needed to apply. I do have a 10 digit UTR number that came back with some paperwork last year. Is the UTR all I need to do my taxes online.....or do I need to "register" in some other way before getting started on the online process?

Since you have a UTR number and did a self assessment last year by paper then I think all you need to do is log onto your HMRC online account and one of the options should be Self Assessment.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab