Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Citizen with UK Permanent UK Residence - Do I pay US Taxes?  (Read 5141 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: US Citizen with UK Permanent UK Residence - Do I pay US Taxes?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »
I filed my I-407 years ago.  I was very good and did everything after 6 months of being back in the UK.

My husband has one bank acct.  I will check to see if he ever had that amount or more at anytime.

So with me already filing that form and no ties to the US.  Does he file just for himself and kids as dependents?

Thanks
Me (Brit) Applied for Fiance Visa from UK Sept 1997
Received Fiance Visa Aug 1998
Married my US Husband Nov 1998 and Living in NJ
Sent Online App Jun 27 2015
Biometrics Jun 30 2015
Sent VFS Priority Jul 1 2015
Sheffield Received Package Jul 3 2015
Received Email Jul 6 2015
Received Decision Made Email Jul 9th 2015
Visa Arrived Jul 10th 2015
Now Lots to do!!
Arrived in UK August 25th,2015
Husband now Permanent Resident(ILR) 2021

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 01:59:14 PM »
Yes.

What he will do is complete the 1040 as Married Filing Separately and put down your name and SSN with NRA alongside.  I asssume you have a SSN from your time in the USA.  He will also list each child and their SSN.

He will then want to use Foreign Tax Credits NOT Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Doing FTC will allow him to file Form 8812 which is the ADDITIONAL tax credit, which is refundable up to $1,400 per child per year when not resident in the USA.  It's actually more if you are resident in the USA.

My recommendation would be to (attempt) to file 2020 taxes using Tax Act, a web based software program.  It should bump him into the FTC form automatically and not FEIE.  However, the deadline to file taxes as an American abroad was June 15th (December 15th if you filed for an extension), so it may not allow you to file.  Worth a shot though.  If it works, you guys can work your way through 2020 and then use that as a template for your previous years streamline filing.

If it doesn't work, you'll have to use the paper forms, which are all available on the IRS website.  The first year will be the most painful to figure out (will probably take a couple of hours).  The other years will be easy once you know which forms you need and how to fill them out.  It'll be worth it for $16k though! 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 02:38:58 PM »

2. Anyone familiar with a recent Law to explain why Ageon is telling me, because I’m a U.S. citizen, I can no longer invest and have access to their entire range of pension funds that my UK colleagues have access to. After 3 years with Ageon, they’re now limiting me to Ageon controlled ones.

Since you have now confirmed that you are NOT a US citizen, Ageon should have no reason to restrict the funds you have access to.  I think you should make clear to Aegon that you are not a US Citizen or a "US Person" (since you have filed I-407 and no longer have a Green Card).
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 03:40:43 PM »
Since you have now confirmed that you are NOT a US citizen, Ageon should have no reason to restrict the funds you have access to.  I think you should make clear to Aegon that you are not a US Citizen or a "US Person" (since you have filed I-407 and no longer have a Green Card).

Oh yes, absolutely.  Sorry for dropping the ball on this question!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »
I filed my I-407 years ago.  I was very good and did everything after 6 months of being back in the UK.

My husband has one bank acct.  I will check to see if he ever had that amount or more at anytime.

Thanks

Well done. That will simplify your life a lot!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 05:08:20 PM »
Yes.

What he will do is complete the 1040 as Married Filing Separately and put down your name and SSN with NRA alongside.  I asssume you have a SSN from your time in the USA.  He will also list each child and their SSN.

He will then want to use Foreign Tax Credits NOT Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Doing FTC will allow him to file Form 8812 which is the ADDITIONAL tax credit, which is refundable up to $1,400 per child per year when not resident in the USA.  It's actually more if you are resident in the USA.

My recommendation would be to (attempt) to file 2020 taxes using Tax Act, a web based software program.  It should bump him into the FTC form automatically and not FEIE.  However, the deadline to file taxes as an American abroad was June 15th (December 15th if you filed for an extension), so it may not allow you to file.  Worth a shot though.  If it works, you guys can work your way through 2020 and then use that as a template for your previous years streamline filing.

If it doesn't work, you'll have to use the paper forms, which are all available on the IRS website.  The first year will be the most painful to figure out (will probably take a couple of hours).  The other years will be easy once you know which forms you need and how to fill them out.  It'll be worth it for $16k though!

Thank you so much for your advice.  I have not been well this year so really behind on taking care of this.  I was not able to create an account on Tax Cut as my husband does not have a US mobile number.  So, I went through the IRS site and have begun to complete details on a site called olt.com.
I have got through the initial filling out of info and now it is asking me which forms to fill out.  None of the ones you have noted above are listed. So, I have come to a standstill and am not sure what to do?
Would you be able to advise?
Perhaps list all the forms I need to fill out and then I will have to print and manually do?  Unless, you have any further ideas.
There is no section for Foreign Tax Credits.
I have tried to research myself but to no success.
Thank you so much :)
Me (Brit) Applied for Fiance Visa from UK Sept 1997
Received Fiance Visa Aug 1998
Married my US Husband Nov 1998 and Living in NJ
Sent Online App Jun 27 2015
Biometrics Jun 30 2015
Sent VFS Priority Jul 1 2015
Sheffield Received Package Jul 3 2015
Received Email Jul 6 2015
Received Decision Made Email Jul 9th 2015
Visa Arrived Jul 10th 2015
Now Lots to do!!