Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TaxAct MFA - Locked Out of Account Forever!  (Read 1386 times)

• Liked: 45
TaxAct MFA - Locked Out of Account Forever!
« on: July 06, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
I attempted to log into my Taxact account and was unable to get past the verification stage. I was prior, able to receive an email with an OTP to log in. I tried to recover my account, but you must put in your address on file, (U.K) and the system will only allow a U.S. address. I called their support and the upshot is, unless you have a mobile phone that supports verification codes then you are totally and forever locked from your account. I did argue that you've already verified me on the phone, or we'd not be having this conversation!  The reply was you MUST have access to that number, or set up a whole NEW account!! Of course i'd never get past the verification stage to open a new account, as my number is not (in their view) able to accept verification codes.

There was discussion about Taxact and the all new ability to use a credit card with a whitlisting that actually worked perfectly. Also talk of apps that you may text on. Well in order to be able to receive a verification code, you have to upgrade to a paid service subscription.

So if you do use TaxAct, perhaps try and sign in now and make sure you've retained access.

I did try another prep software and my Voip phone did receive an OPT with no problem. The UI of that software is nothing like the quality of TaxAct though.

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=99003.msg1317258#msg1317258

• Liked: 12
Re: TaxAct MFA - Locked Out of Account Forever!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »
I just logged-in to my TaxAct account without a problem.  No verification step needed.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
I just logged-in to my TaxAct account without a problem.  No verification step needed.
If you try from another, or new computer that you've not used to log in before, (as I've done), then you'd be prompted.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. With our daughter planning to move back soon I’m going to lose a US credit card with a US address and my US VOIP number does not support texts so I guess I need to start planning on new methods to efile next year. Sigh.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the info. With our daughter planning to move back soon I’m going to lose a US credit card with a US address and my US VOIP number does not support texts so I guess I need to start planning on new methods to efile next year. Sigh.
Your daughter could get a Wise account, with card delivered to her U.S. address. As it's all virtual, with no mail, just keep that card associated to that address going forward. The problem alas is the mobile number and like you I need to do some forward planning for who to use next year.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 02:19:32 PM »
Your daughter could get a Wise account, with card delivered to her U.S. address. As it's all virtual, with no mail, just keep that card associated to that address going forward. The problem alas is the mobile number and like you I need to do some forward planning for who to use next year.

I’ve already pointed her in the direction of Wise. Great idea to get a US debit card with her US address, that should work until the debit card expires. I’ve suggested she get a UK debit card to use when she gets here.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 02:31:51 PM »
I’ve already pointed her in the direction of Wise. Great idea to get a US debit card with her US address, that should work until the debit card expires. I’ve suggested she get a UK debit card to use when she gets here.
This is another option and the card will be delivered to the U.K.
https://www.sdfcu.org/
With the Wise card though, even when your daughter has to eventually change the card address on file, you can do the whitelisting trick to keep using TaxAct, but that's only half the problem solved!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »
This is another option and the card will be delivered to the U.K.
https://www.sdfcu.org/
With the Wise card though, even when your daughter has to eventually change the card address on file, you can do the whitelisting trick to keep using TaxAct, but that's only half the problem solved!

Remind me please what the whitelisting trick is because once I can't use her address I'll be stuck without a US CC with a US address. Currently I have 2 US CCs, one with my UK address and one with her US address which I use to buy TurboTax each year.  I'm happy to switch to TaxAct in future.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 04:28:56 PM »
My taxact goes to my mother's mobile but ALSO sends me an email.  So I don't have to coordinate with her what the code is. 

It is annoying though.  You can imagine a mother "what were you logging into your taxes for?"   ;D

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 04:31:27 PM »
Remind me please what the whitelisting trick is because once I can't use her address I'll be stuck without a US CC with a US address. Currently I have 2 US CCs, one with my UK address and one with her US address which I use to buy TurboTax each year.  I'm happy to switch to TaxAct in future.
Of course durhamlad. Whitelisting is kinda like adding a payment card to the 'safe list' of that merchant. Just use a U.S. payment card though as a U.K one wont work.

For the address line, enter the first line of your real foreign address; e.g. 123 High Street.
For the rest of the address details, use TaxAct's own US address.  The city is "Cedar Rapids", the state is "Indiana", and the zip is "52402".
Then enter your credit card number, card holder's name, etc, as normal.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »
My taxact goes to my mother's mobile but ALSO sends me an email.  So I don't have to coordinate with her what the code is. 

It is annoying though.  You can imagine a mother "what were you logging into your taxes for?"   ;D
They abolished sending email verification codes earlier in the year. If you're still receiving email verification codes, i'd really like to know!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
Ok, I just tried logging-in on a laptop I've never used with TaxAct, and I received by email a six digit code to verify myself, and it worked fine.

(And just as a point of interest, in the My Preferences page of TaxAct, my email address is shown as verified while my mobile is not.  My mobile is listed as 000-000-0000; I probably entered those bogus zeros years ago when I first registered my account.)

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 06:45:20 PM »
Ok, I just tried logging-in on a laptop I've never used with TaxAct, and I received by email a six digit code to verify myself, and it worked fine.

(And just as a point of interest, in the My Preferences page of TaxAct, my email address is shown as verified while my mobile is not.  My mobile is listed as 000-000-0000; I probably entered those bogus zeros years ago when I first registered my account.)
Thanks for doing that... So it proves that it my account, i'm still getting pushback from their team. I've ask for a call  from the supervisory team. I do remember that I have my 10 digit U.S. number active though, your method of all 0's is the workaround from account set up.... Thanks again -)

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 06:52:56 PM »
I should add that the email verification went to spam (in Gmail).  If I hadn't thought to look, I might have thought that I couldn't log in.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 07:31:50 PM »
Of course durhamlad. Whitelisting is kinda like adding a payment card to the 'safe list' of that merchant. Just use a U.S. payment card though as a U.K one wont work.

For the address line, enter the first line of your real foreign address; e.g. 123 High Street.
For the rest of the address details, use TaxAct's own US address.  The city is "Cedar Rapids", the state is "Indiana", and the zip is "52402".
Then enter your credit card number, card holder's name, etc, as normal.

Thanks for that  :)

Sponsored Links