Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR - Timing Question - HELP!  (Read 2221 times)

• Liked: 15
ILR - Timing Question - HELP!
« on: August 08, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »
Hi all

I have a very basic question - trying to avoid a heart attack here.

My wife's FLR(M) was granted on 20th July 2020. Her BRP is valid until March 2023, and in our head we had planned to submit ILR in line with the BRP dates.

My wife initially entered the UK on 20th July 2017. Please tell me that we have not messed this up by being overdue?!!!

HELP!
Married 18th December 2016
Wife applied for UK Spouse Visa 21 May 2017
Email confirmation from UKVI confirming receipt 30 May 2017
Spouse Visa granted 2nd July 2017
Wife arrived in UK 20th July 2017
Applied for FLR (M) 24th March 2020
FLR (M) extension granted 20th July 2020

• Liked: 4985
Re: ILR - Timing Question - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 03:28:38 PM »
Not at all, she can apply anytime between now and the expiry of her BRP.  It's a good thing, means you guys can control when to send the application and how long she can't travel for while waiting for it to be processed.  It's a good thing!  Yes, she could have applied already, but she's in no way late.  :D

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:34:13 PM »
Not at all, she can apply anytime between now and the expiry of her BRP.  It's a good thing, means you guys can control when to send the application and how long she can't travel for while waiting for it to be processed.  It's a good thing!  Yes, she could have applied already, but she's in no way late.  :D

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I'm just starting all the prep now and I see a lot of people refer to applying from just before 5 years and literally had my heart in my mouth, panic stations kicked in thinking she's overstayed and what not! OK so we'll focus on the dates on the BRP as originally planned.

Just the kick up the butt I needed to ensure everything is in order. We have a holiday over the new year so plan is to have everything ready and come and submit by mid- January.

• Liked: 449
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I'm just starting all the prep now and I see a lot of people refer to applying from just before 5 years and literally had my heart in my mouth, panic stations kicked in thinking she's overstayed and what not! OK so we'll focus on the dates on the BRP as originally planned.

Just the kick up the butt I needed to ensure everything is in order. We have a holiday over the new year so plan is to have everything ready and come and submit by mid- January.

MBMoffat has created a helpful working document under the thread, 'ILR Application Procedure + Timelines, reference document' If you scroll to the end of the thread there is the most up to date version with details of guidance received here and timelines for those of us who have been completing ILR recently.

Best of luck with it.

Em
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
MBMoffat has created a helpful working document under the thread, 'ILR Application Procedure + Timelines, reference document' If you scroll to the end of the thread there is the most up to date version with details of guidance received here and timelines for those of us who have been completing ILR recently.

Best of luck with it.

Em

Thank you, my main worry was that we've left it too late but we're going to apply a month before the BRP is due to expire.
That thread by MBMoffat has pretty much what I need from a checklist perspective so I will be following that for updates and using it as a guideline.

All the best to you as well!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 04:24:36 PM »
Thank you, my main worry was that we've left it too late but we're going to apply a month before the BRP is due to expire.
That thread by MBMoffat has pretty much what I need from a checklist perspective so I will be following that for updates and using it as a guideline.

All the best to you as well!
Just bear in mind though, that the earlier she applies for ILR, the sooner she will be:
- free from immigration restrictions
- eligible to claim UK government benefits
- eligible to apply for UK citizenship.

Assuming she wants to, she can apply for UK citizenship as soon as her ILR is granted, so if you did apply earlier, she could gain her citizenship several months earlier than if you waited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 05:53:04 PM »
On the flip side, if you know she won't need to travel for at least 6 months, you can apply using standard processing which saves £800. 

It is six months though....  I was too scared to wait that long.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 404
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »
Hello Tazzy!, I remember you from that crazy summer of 2017 when UKVI moved from Manila to Sheffield and we all got stuck. 54 Business days etc....

Two things:
1) I suggest it would be a good idea to put the application in sooner rather than later just like Ksand advises.
2) Even if you wait to apply I very strongly recommend you get the Life in the UK test out of the way right now. I have 2 friends who left it late and got themselves in a right old state.  There is no pressure if you do it early - it's the only part that is a bit outside your control.

all the best,

Matt
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:16:58 PM by mbmoffat »
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
Just bear in mind though, that the earlier she applies for ILR, the sooner she will be:
- free from immigration restrictions
- eligible to claim UK government benefits
- eligible to apply for UK citizenship.

Assuming she wants to, she can apply for UK citizenship as soon as her ILR is granted, so if you did apply earlier, she could gain her citizenship several months earlier than if you waited.

Thanks Ksand! Hope you're well! Believe it or not she has no interest in citizenship whatsoever. As she has US citizenship along with Bangladesh citizenship right now she's not interested in getting UK citizenship and passport.

Obviously if the political climate changes then we may need to apply.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
Hello Tazzy!, I remember you from that crazy summer of 2017 when UKVI moved from Manila to Sheffield and we all got stuck. 54 Business days etc....

Two things:
1) I suggest it would be a good idea to put the application in sooner rather than later just like Ksand advises.
2) Even if you wait to apply I very strongly recommend you get the Life in the UK test out of the way right now. I have 2 friends who left it late and got themselves in a right old state.  There is no pressure if you do it early - it's the only part that is a bit outside your control.

all the best,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Long time no speak! Hope you're well :)

We've got the Life in the UK test booked for the 20th. Wife is currently studying using the handbook, we'll probably need to order some practice tests and answers and hope she nails it the first time.

I'll be following your thread religiously, thank you for putting it together!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 07:17:08 PM »
Hi Matt,

Long time no speak! Hope you're well :)

We've got the Life in the UK test booked for the 20th. Wife is currently studying using the handbook, we'll probably need to order some practice tests and answers and hope she nails it the first time.

I'll be following your thread religiously, thank you for putting it together!

There are lots of practice tests available for free online.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 08:56:42 PM »
Thanks Ksand! Hope you're well! Believe it or not she has no interest in citizenship whatsoever. As she has US citizenship along with Bangladesh citizenship right now she's not interested in getting UK citizenship and passport.

Obviously if the political climate changes then we may need to apply.

Keep it in the back of both your heads that’ll you’ll still need to keep on top of immigration updates and future “hoops to jump through”.

The risk we see frequently is someone returning to their home country for what is supposed to be a brief trip, but takes them out of the U.K. for too long, this invalidating the ILR and having to start the process over.

It’s absolutely okay to never take the step to citizenship, a friend of mine has been here well over 30 years and won’t ever become British. But there can be future hurdles.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 10:15:34 PM »
Dear all,

My wife just sat and passed the Life in the UK Test this weekend gone.  ;D

As per your suggestions, I think we might just go ahead and submit our ILR application a bit earlier (finances permitting).  I'm slowly starting to put the documents together and we're thinking of doing it in early to mid November (with October being the last payslip used).

I've got a few questions just to confirm I'm on the right track

Q1) For the finances, I would be using April - October 2022 pay slips and corresponding bank statements to make up 7 months. Would that suffice? If I've got all the documents ready by e.g. 10th of November.

Q2) For the residence in the UK to show cohabitation, I just wanted to check my dates are correct. If we applied in early to Mid November would we be OK reaching back 2.5 years from October 2022? So October 2022, May 2022, December 2021, July 2021, February 2021, September 2020. Would I need to go further? I might be completely off here so if anyone would be kind enough to correct it that would be much appreciated.

Q3) My employer is 100% remote so all docs have been signed using docusign and all pay slips are online (downloaded PDFs). If this is all noted in the employer verification letter, would I still need to print off and scan it back in or am I OK to upload it straight?

TIA!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 11:02:04 PM »

Congratulations to her .

Q1) For the finances, I would be using April - October 2022 pay slips and corresponding bank statements to make up 7 months. Would that suffice? If I've got all the documents ready by e.g. 10th of November.

Yes, that should be fine.

The October payslip just needs to be dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application, and the first payslip (April) needs to cover the first day of the 6 months.

Q2) For the residence in the UK to show cohabitation, I just wanted to check my dates are correct. If we applied in early to Mid November would we be OK reaching back 2.5 years from October 2022? So October 2022, May 2022, December 2021, July 2021, February 2021, September 2020. Would I need to go further? I might be completely off here so if anyone would be kind enough to correct it that would be much appreciated.

You should cover the entire 2.5 years, so you’ll need to go back to April 2020 so that the beginning of the 2.5 years is covered too… otherwise you’re only showing 2 years and 1 month (Sept 2020 to Oct 2022).

So you’ll want:
April 2020
September 2020
February 2021
July 2021
December 2021
May 2022
October 2022

Q3) My employer is 100% remote so all docs have been signed using docusign and all pay slips are online (downloaded PDFs). If this is all noted in the employer verification letter, would I still need to print off and scan it back in or am I OK to upload it straight?

You should be okay to upload it straight as it is.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 06:07:32 AM »

Congratulations!

Sponsored Links