Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Change after Marriage with Tier 2 Visa  (Read 319 times)

• Liked: 0
Name Change after Marriage with Tier 2 Visa
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:50 PM »
Hi,

I think I know the answer to this, but got a little panicked by the gov.uk website so wanted to be extra sure!

I got married in July in California.  I am three years into a five year Tier 2 visa stay and I plan to go for ILR at 5 years (so 2 years from now).  By the time I reach five years my husband will be a British citizen (passed his Life in the UK test and has ILR -- just waiting 12 months before applying).

I have a marriage certificate which indicates I'll use my husband's last name.  I looked into changing my name now that we are back from honeymoon, and saw that I need to let the UK gov know within three months of a name change so I can update my BRP.  I panicked and started filling out the paperwork but realized I needed to have a passport with my new name before I could update the BRP.  Three months for updating a passport after the wedding is a tight squeeze!

However, I *think* that the UK doesn't count my name as changed until my US passport is changed (one of the sites said that passports trump names elsewhere).  Ideally, I'd like to wait til I go for ILR in two years since they'll send me a new BRP anyways and update my name then (I'll change the passport a bit before the five year mark).  Will this be okay, or will I be violating this three month to tell the gov your name changed rule?

I don't want to be without my passport and BRP for an extended period of time because (1) I like travel (2) my parents are older and the idea of not being able to get to them if they need me in the US is really scary and (3) we are buying a house and I keep getting asked for IDs etc.

-- Has anyone had experience with this?
-- Did you change your name on any documents?  Right now I guess I am planning to keep bank accounts, buy house, etc. with my maiden name.
-- What name should I have on my driver's license?

What a hassle!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Name Change after Marriage with Tier 2 Visa
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:44:36 PM »
For everything other than your passport and visa, you can just start using your new name in the UK... you don't have to do anything official, you just need to contact the various companies and change your name with them, such as your bank, utility companies, council tax, store cards etc.

You ONLY need to change your name on your BRP IF you decide to change your name on your US passport... because the name on your BRP MUST match the name on your US passport at all times. You have 3 months from changing your passport name to apply to change your name on your BRP, or you can be fined £1,000 and have your visa curtailed.

So, for your passport and BRP, you have 3 options:

- Change your name in your US passport now ($110, takes about 3 weeks)
- Then change your name on your BRP (£161, takes up to 8 weeks and requires filling out an online application and redoing biometrics).

OR

- Do nothing and keep both your passport and BRP in your maiden name.
You can still use your married name for everything else in the UK, but you'll need to make sure you book all travel in your maiden name.

OR

- do nothing for now, and then in the 3 months before you apply for ILR, change your name on your US passport.
- then apply for ILR in your married name.
The new BRP will be issued in your married name and you don't have to worry about changing your name on your current BRP
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:53:04 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Name Change after Marriage with Tier 2 Visa
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 12:08:59 PM »
My 2p.

I’d wait and change before ILR.  Use one name until then, then change it afterwards. That way you don’t have paperwork in two names and make yourself nervous about your ILR application.

Does your USA passport expire before your ILR application?

Sponsored Links