Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving in UK on the US driver license  (Read 2076 times)

• Liked: 1
Driving in UK on the US driver license
« on: August 24, 2022, 07:42:20 PM »
Hello!

I've read somewhere that I can drive in the UK on the US driver license for up to 12 months since the day I move to the UK.
My wife is a British citizen (and has UK driver license) and I hold US driver license.
My question is: if she buys a car in her name, can I drive it using my US driver license? Would UK insurance companies actually cover secondary drivers with non-UK driver licenses? If so, any suggestions on which insurance company (and policy) to use will be greatly appreciated!

• Liked: 957
Re: Driving in UK on the US driver license
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 11:29:23 PM »
Your car can even be in your name while on the US license, but insurance may cost more. I went with Aviva the first year and now on Admiral (who have an app that lets you get a safe driving discount if you're a good driver).

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Great, thank you for the confirmation! Another random question - my US driver license is actually from Puerto Rico (used to have NYS driver license but replaced when I moved to PR) - do you know if UK has any issues recognizing licenses from US territories? I don't even know how to go about finding that out...

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »
Great, thank you for the confirmation! Another random question - my US driver license is actually from Puerto Rico (used to have NYS driver license but replaced when I moved to PR) - do you know if UK has any issues recognizing licenses from US territories? I don't even know how to go about finding that out...

I'm sure you will be fine.  Although PR is not a US State their driving licence is recognized as a US licence in the whole of the USA.

Besides, I believe you can drive for up to a year in the UK using any foreign driving licence.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
Hello!

I've read somewhere that I can drive in the UK on the US driver license for up to 12 months since the day I move to the UK.
My wife is a British citizen (and has UK driver license) and I hold US driver license.
My question is: if she buys a car in her name, can I drive it using my US driver license? Would UK insurance companies actually cover secondary drivers with non-UK driver licenses? If so, any suggestions on which insurance company (and policy) to use will be greatly appreciated!

This will tell you.  https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

If you are allowed to drive, don't forget that Great Britain is 3 of the 4 UK nations. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 02:46:51 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 107
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 08:20:47 AM »
You must be named on the insurance to drive it, however. It'll be in your wife's name but you must be a named driver.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 08:44:34 AM »
And you can be the primary driver on your USA license as well.  I was in my first year here, just cost quite a bit more than it did after I got my license.  I wasn't married (here for work).  No requirement to have a UKC on the insurance at all.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 01:53:31 PM »
When I moved (on a work permit, no spouse) I was able to get a copy of my no claims from my US insurance provider ( I think it was Allstate that I had) and my UK insurance provider took that which lowered my rates a bit. What it didn't accept was the fact that I had been driving on a license since 16, since you have to be 17 here  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 09:58:46 PM »
When I moved (on a work permit, no spouse) I was able to get a copy of my no claims from my US insurance provider ( I think it was Allstate that I had) and my UK insurance provider took that which lowered my rates a bit. What it didn't accept was the fact that I had been driving on a license since 16, since you have to be 17 here  ;D

THIS is very smart and good advice! I would've never thought to try to get no claims info from US provider!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab