Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship - proof of living in the UK.  (Read 759 times)

• Liked: 404
Citizenship - proof of living in the UK.
« on: August 28, 2022, 09:19:00 PM »
So the UK Citizenshup Document Checklist asks for this:

Proof of living in the UK for (The Applicant) for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen.

Any ideas what we should supply?
I am thinking to submit:
1) Passports going back 3 years if the latest Passport included in the application is less than 3 years old.
2) Correspondence over 3 years maybe including Council Tax Bills.
3) An excel spreadsheet of travel history over 3 years which they can compare vs Passports. 

Noting Cuddyduck has asked a very similar question recently, and I have searched old topics.  I am slightly puzzled as it is a specific requirement, but it seems we dont have the same clarity on the Citizenship Proof of Living in the UK requirement as we do for the Spouse, FLR or ILR visas where we have it very precisely sussed out - i.e. 2.5 years 7 docs joint names evenly spaced etc.

For reference, here is the full Citizenship documents checklist:
The passport issued by *** for (The Applicant).
(The Applicant)'s certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher. (Not for USA or Canada)
Proof of living in the UK for (The Applicant) for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
Your marriage or civil partnership certificate.
Two referee declarations for (The Applicant).
One proof of British citizenship for (The Sponsor) (such as a passport or UK citizenship certificate).
Current Biometric Residence Permit for (The Applicant).

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:54:09 PM by mbmoffat »
UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

• Liked: 3
Re: Citizenship - proof of living in the UK.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »
Good Morning.... :D

I did the following:

I filled out the application online and then printed it off to see where I needed corrections. At the end of the application there is a list of documents that are needed as evidence. 

My USA Passport - this will be used as proof of me, proof of living in the UK for 3 years, and proof that I can speak English
My Marriage Certificate
2 Referee declarations
My most recent tax year account statement and HMRC tax return - proof of self employment
My Husbands Passport
My BRP

I don't need to supply my Life in the UK test certificate as I am able to use my reference number.

You don't need the excel worksheet as there is a section to enter your holidays or time outside of the UK.

So my suggestion is to fill out the online application as you can save it and come back to it and you will see what documents you need.  You can download it and have a link sent via email.  As long as you come back to it within 10 weeks it will be saved for you. 
Spouse Visa - 19 July 2013
Came Home - 18 Sept 2013
FLR - 12 April 2016
ILR -  January 2019
Citizenship - applied 11 October 2022

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
The below confirms a Passport with the right immigration stamps should cover Proof of Living in the UK.

From Guide AN Naturalisation Booklet. The Requirements and The Process

Residence Requirements
Absences
You should supply the following documents to show you have been mainly in the UK
during the 5 years (or, if married to or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3 years)
before making your application:

• Your passports
• If you are unable to provide your passport, explain why and supply letters from
employers (including start and finish dates), payslips, P60s, educational
establishments or other government departments indicating your presence in the
United Kingdom during the relevant period
Examples of documents that can be used to show you have been in the UK for the
required time period, can be found here.
Although we do not normally accept doctors’ letters on their own as proof of presence,
these may be accepted if nothing else is available and the doctors can confirm that they
have seen you on a regular basis during the period concerned.

If your passport is not stamped when you come into the United Kingdom, you must still
provide your passport, but also provide alternative evidence of presence as above.
Please note, you do not need to submit documents that have been uploaded as
part of previous immigration applications – we will have a record of these and will
consider them in support of your application.

And subsequently this from the Nationality policy: Naturalisation as a British citizen by discretion
(Published for Home Office staff on 28 June 2022)

Absences
You must check the available evidence to see whether an applicant meets the
residence requirements.
The following can be used as evidence of residence:
• passports or travel documents which have been stamped to show arrival in the
UK and entry and departure from other countries: these should be checked
against the list of absences that applicants are asked to provide on the
application form
• Home Office records
• if the applicant does not have passports to cover the qualifying period, other
evidence such as employers’ letters or tax and National Insurance letters:
• in such cases you should assess whether there is sufficient evidence to
show that that applicant has been resident in the UK during the qualifying
period, giving them the benefit of any doubt where claimed absences are
within the limits we would normally allow and there are no grounds to doubt
the accuracy of the claim
You must not normally accept doctors' letters on their own as proof of residence.
However, if nothing else is available and the doctors can confirm that they have seen
the applicant on a regular basis during the period concerned these may be accepted.
If there are gaps in a person’s evidence of residence and it is clear from the
information available that they could not have travelled, you must accept this.
Examples of this might include a refugee who has no means of travel or where
immigration records confirm continuous residence.
You must only count whole days' absences from the UK. You must not count the
dates of departure and arrival as absences. For example, a person who left the UK
on 22 September and returned on 23 September will not be classed as having been
absent from the UK.
An applicant only needs to have been physically present in the UK for the purpose of
the act. They do not have to have been ordinarily resident or domiciled here
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:28:36 PM by mbmoffat »

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

• Liked: 56
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
Mbmoffat...
Could you provide any more info where you got all that about proof of being here? It looks very official.

However, I'm very nervous now as the last 3 or 4 times I've travel abroad and returned to the UK, I've been ushered through the e-passpor gates with no one to stamp my passport or even check my brp. The first time, I asked an attendant who was directing people where to go and explained I had a brp card and she still sent me through the e-gates.
All of my payslips are electronic, so I'm not sure if I would need them signed by my job to be usable like with visa applications. Same with P60s and what not. I might have some bank statements, but NatWest keeps forcing us to paperless. I still have all my boarding passes.
Ugh, I hate how border control at airports can't seem to to their jobs right. I had a similar issue the first time I entered the UK via Ireland (didn't know about the common area).
Any ideas how to rectify the situation?
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »
Mbmoffat...
Could you provide any more info where you got all that about proof of being here? It looks very official.

However, I'm very nervous now as the last 3 or 4 times I've travel abroad and returned to the UK, I've been ushered through the e-passpor gates with no one to stamp my passport or even check my brp. The first time, I asked an attendant who was directing people where to go and explained I had a brp card and she still sent me through the e-gates.
All of my payslips are electronic, so I'm not sure if I would need them signed by my job to be usable like with visa applications. Same with P60s and what not. I might have some bank statements, but NatWest keeps forcing us to paperless. I still have all my boarding passes.
Ugh, I hate how border control at airports can't seem to to their jobs right. I had a similar issue the first time I entered the UK via Ireland (didn't know about the common area).
Any ideas how to rectify the situation?

Hi there, I worried about this in exactly the same way, because it is so unclear!.
in the old days we used to travel extensively and use the stamps accordingly. Incidentally I noted on a trip to SE Asia last week the UK now electronically logs your immigration.

For the purposes of Citizenship application I was told your proof of living here is simply your UK passport(s).  If they require more proof they will get in touch but to  my knowledge this has never happened.

Good luck!

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 01:47:30 PM »
Hi there, I worried about this in exactly the same way, because it is so unclear!.
in the old days we used to travel extensively and use the stamps accordingly. Incidentally I noted on a trip to SE Asia last week the UK now electronically logs your immigration.

For the purposes of Citizenship application I was told your proof of living here is simply your UK passport(s).  If they require more proof they will get in touch but to  my knowledge this has never happened.

Good luck!

Ah, I thought you might have more info as your earlier post included this "Absences
You must check the available evidence to see whether an applicant meets the
residence requirements.
The following can be used as evidence of residence:
• passports or travel documents which have been stamped to show arrival in the
UK and entry and departure from other countries: these should be checked
against the list of absences that applicants are asked to provide on the
application form"

It all so confusing. I keep asking attendants about if I need to see someone because of my brp card and they all say no, that its electronic now, and usher me through the regular e-gates. But I just can't help but feel nervous about this now that I'm looking at applying for citizenship. I think I'll provide some additional evidence of residency. I mean, if they check HMRC to show I pay taxes, they should see that I am in the UK. But I dunno. I just don't trust anything anymore lol.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »

That was from the notes and guidance for the officer processing.  I included it as background.

I think the main thing is just be 100% accurate with your submission - assume they have access to the immigration database.
These applications are binary.   If you meet the criteria, you will get Citizenship,  it is a very robust process.  I completely trust the process - there is oversight so when they make an error it is corrected.

There is no need to worry -  you will be fine.  Also you have ILR so you have secure here.

05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 02:08:52 PM »
That was from the notes and guidance for the officer processing.  I included it as background.

I think the main thing is just be 100% accurate with your submission - assume they have access to the immigration database.
These applications are binary.   If you meet the criteria, you will get Citizenship,  it is a very robust process.  I completely trust the process - there is oversight so when they make an error it is corrected.

There is no need to worry -  you will be fine.  Also you have ILR so you have secure here.

Yea, it seemed quite official.

Thankfully I started keeping a full list of all my travels for the other visas, so I can provide all of them.

I can't say I'm as trusting with the home office as you....after all the mistakes we've seen them make over the years, I've always felt terrified with every application. I wasn't worried this time until I thought about this issue.

Thank you for mentioned keeping ILR. That was something I was afraid to ask - if a denied application affected ILR. Good to know it won't :-)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 02:31:36 PM »
I also used the electronic gates as directed at the airport. I used P60s for proof of being in the UK.
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
I also used the electronic gates as directed at the airport. I used P60s for proof of being in the UK.

Did you do that pre-emptively, or did they request more evidence?

And with the gates, was it just straight through for you or was there anywhere that they checked your BRP and took fingerprints? Cause attendants sent me through without any checks but the gov website says your BRP card and fingerprints will get checked. Really annoying contradictions.

Sponsored Links