Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just got back from a holiday on Anglesey  (Read 1669 times)

• Liked: 1892
Just got back from a holiday on Anglesey
« on: September 04, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
Have you guys ever explored Anglessey and Snowdonia?  We just got back and had a great time.    Some highlights were the RIB boat ride under the bridges of the Menai straight, the South Stack Lighthouse and a steam train ride from Caernarfon to Beddgelert.  I've got this theory that the Brits don't visit Wales often because of anti-British sentiment, but they love Americans.  Nothing was crowded, it was always easy to park and everywhere was beautiful.  The also speak a lot of Welsh up there, so it feels extra exotic. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 03:36:20 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Just got back from a holiday on Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 05:47:48 PM »
A long time ago went up Snowdon on the little train and down a slate mine. I loved it, the mine was especially exciting!  :)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »
We did the slate mine on our last trip a few years ago.  Really interesting.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »
I live in the North West of England so I'm very partial to a visit to North Wales and have lots of buddies from there so have done many trips to different mountains and trails. Beautiful place. The whole of Snowdonia is extraordinary. Last weekend we actually visited Caernarfon.

Generally speaking, the Welsh join the Scottish in an impartial hatred for the English. Vacant holiday homes owned by English people have been burned down in Wales, actually scarily frequently. I've been in the presence of Welsh people who have purposely spoke Welsh when they knew they were in the presence of the English. Any English sports on TV they would turn their backs to. Of course, I'm speaking about a very very small minority but it does exist.

In Llanberis we visited a pub in the middle of nowhere. Walked in and nothing but regulars shouting Welsh songs constantly and all speaking Welsh. Walked in and got a beer and my wife asked for a white wine. She received a warm dusty small bottle of red. Too exotic of a drink for this place haha! If you've ever watched Disney's 'Tangled' it's a real life example of the Snuggly Duckling pub in it!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 05:59:37 PM »
Last weekend we actually visited Caernarfon.
Maybe we were there at the same time! I think we were there on Sunday, or darn close. 

I can totally see the anti-English thing happening, I guess it's one very small place where it's good to be American.  The locals were super nice to us and went out of their way to teach us a bit of Welsh or tell us about stuff.   It's a shame they weren't nice to you. 

Beaumaris really reminded me of Sausalito and Beddgelert felt a lot like Estes Park in Colorado.   

One other thing, the Air BnB actually came with 2 cats.  We had to feed and water them and they sat on our laps and purred.  It was nice for my boy, who has never been allowed to have dogs or cats.  I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving cats as part of the rental, but we certainly took care of them. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:02:41 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:19:24 PM »

One other thing, the Air BnB actually came with 2 cats.  We had to feed and water them and they sat on our laps and purred.  It was nice for my boy, who has never been allowed to have dogs or cats.  I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving cats as part of the rental, but we certainly took care of them. 

What did I just read?!?! 

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 08:16:26 AM »
What did I just read?!?! 
  No pictures of the cats though. 

• Liked: 107
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 09:59:52 AM »
Maybe we were there at the same time! I think we were there on Sunday, or darn close. 

I can totally see the anti-English thing happening, I guess it's one very small place where it's good to be American.  The locals were super nice to us and went out of their way to teach us a bit of Welsh or tell us about stuff.   It's a shame they weren't nice to you. 

Beaumaris really reminded me of Sausalito and Beddgelert felt a lot like Estes Park in Colorado.   

It's probably nice for the Welsh to be visited by Americans as visiting anywhere outside of London for Americans is rare, generally speaking. The majority of the people around the world probably don't know the difference between Wales, England, Scotland, NI, UK and GB so it's nice for Wales to educate them and they of course have a very interesting deep history!

I have a bunch of close Welsh friends who don't own a single ounce of anti-English attitude (except only when Wales play England in the rugby haha) so I just dust it off when people are like that but the overwhelmingly majority of people aren't like that or it's just friendly banter.

By the way, did they mis-type "CAT included" as "VAT included" ?! Haha. That's bizarre!
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 02:35:27 PM »
  I'm not sure about the ethics of leaving cats as part of the rental, but we certainly took care of them.

Wow, that's really dodgy!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »
Wow, that's really dodgy!
  I'm not sure exactly what to think about it.  It was pretty well spelled out in the listing (both CAT and VAT) and plenty of food was left and reasonably detailed instructions.  Still just seemed a little dodgy.  Nobody checked anything about the cats the whole week.  We were talking about stealing them actually. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »
  I'm not sure exactly what to think about it.  It was pretty well spelled out in the listing (both CAT and VAT) and plenty of food was left and reasonably detailed instructions.  Still just seemed a little dodgy.  Nobody checked anything about the cats the whole week.  We were talking about stealing them actually. 

You have to post or PM me the listing!

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »
Here you go
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/586995684737782544?source_impression_id=p3_1662568061_5iu%2FpDUG3ib3BKex

What are your cats going to think when they find out you went on holiday and cuddled with other cats?  Not sure on the ethics of that!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab