Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Me  (Read 17132 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Me
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2022, 11:36:50 AM »
Round 2 of chemo was nearly 3 weeks ago.  I have round 3 this Friday.

I am one of those people who is feeling BETTER with chemo, instead of worse.  I had in my head that everything was linked to my cough (which it was) but when my body was aching all over, I thought it was all the cough making me ache. 

I've learned some big life lessons the last couple of weeks after my unexpected trip to A&E and being admitted for an infection.  On Sunday, I had gone with my family out for a roast dinner, as my dad was going back to Florida for a few weeks the next day.  When we got home, I felt exhausted.  Took my temperature and it was over 38.  I'm supposed to call the hospital if it's over 37.5.  But figured I had been out and gave it an hour.  It came down but wasn't reading normal.  We have 3 thermometers in our house, and I've been using the ear one.  I had my husband grab the other two before we went to bed (forehead scanner and an under the tongue digital).  Both said 36.6 which is my normal so off I went to bed. 

Called the next day and they wanted me in for blood work and sent me to A&E to rule out a pulmonary embolism, which are quite common when having chemo.  While that was ruled out with an EKG and CT scan, they did determine that I had an infection.

With the thermometers, I felt like it was staring a wall with 3 clocks showing 3 different times.  How do you know which one is the right time?  I have now decided to stick with the ear thermometer.  I need to remember that I took my temperature on Sunday BECAUSE I DIDN'T FEEL RIGHT.  Seems obvious, but I didn't want to call and have "their" thermometer show normal.  Which isn't what would have happened, they would have done blood work and picked up the infection a day earlier.

Since the infection has passed, I have felt great.  Took my kids trick or treating, went INTO the office yesterday (first time since July), meeting a friend this evening.  Nice to have a bit of normality. 

Tomorrow I'm having my lungs drained again.  They did an ultrasound at the hospital last week.  They felt confident that the fluid level had reduced from a fortnight earlier but I'm breathless and coughing loads again.  I'm curious to see what my fluid levels are like tomorrow.  If they are less than last Tuesday's ultrasound, it will likely mean it'll be my last drain!  Less fluid would mean my body is eliminating the fluid faster than it's producing the fluid.  And with chemo Friday, that third round should hopefully be the round that stops the fluid all together.  If it's not my last drain, then it's not.  But I'm giddy at the thought that there's a good chance it WILL be the last time I need draining.  It's an easy procedure, doesn't hurt at all.  But a very odd sensation as my right lung starts working again.  I would LOVE to get my right lung fully working again.  Might never happen.  But I hope it does! 

On a positive note, we booked Lapland UK for the kids back in January/February or whatever ridiculous month they went on sale.  And that falls on the Wednesday before a round of chemo.  My kids were SO SO SO into Halloween this year, that I know it's the perfect age to take them to Lapland UK.  I'm super hopeful that I'll be feeling well on the day, as it's just before chemo.  REALLY looking forward to that day. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2022, 12:19:02 PM »
I'm glad you're doing pretty decent KFDancer and feeling better with the chemo. I hope it kicks cancer's ars*. 
Glad the infection was caught too. Don't be so British next time!  ;)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2022, 12:51:46 PM »
I'm glad you're doing pretty decent KFDancer and feeling better with the chemo. I hope it kicks cancer's ars*. 
Glad the infection was caught too. Don't be so British next time!  ;)

I hear you.  It was more the confusion of the thermometers.  Just need to remember WHY I was taking my temperature. 

And I am hoping that the chemo is just WIPING the cancer out of all the nooks and crannies it has found it's way into.  Along with the injections.  My oncologist has said it's the injections that will really tackle the cancer, it just has to be given along side chemo initially.  I'll have those for life.  Hopefully MANY MANY MANY years of injections. 

I meet with the oncologist tomorrow and I'm going to inquire about a mastectomy when chemo is over.  I know the horse has bolted (the cancer has spread), but I like the idea that the original source of the cancer would be GONE and not able to "reawaken" there.  Needless to say it's mega surgery and not a decision to take lightly.  But right now, I think I want my breasts gone.

Oh!  And I haven't lost my hair.  It's thinned but not patchy.  I've lost half of my eyebrows which is a bit odd.  Still have my eyelashes (thankful as they serve great purpose in keeping things out of your eyes).  Ear hairs are gone as I can hear shampoo crackling in them.  My arms are soooo smooth since they are hairless.  Underarms and legs don't seem to be growing and don't need shaving.  Wouldn't say they are hairless, but suspect underarms have lost patches.  Can't seem your underarms though.  LOL.  I've been assured that the fact that I have NOT lost my hair is not an indication of the chemo not working, just that my nurse does fantastic prep with the cold cap with my treatments.

I'm still getting along with the cold cap as I find the hospital quite hot (I am being forced into menopause after all) and love the cold on my head.  I also find cold helps me when I'm feeling anxious.  So while I heard lots of negatives about the cold cap, I'm glad that I tried it for myself.  As my skin gets more and more sensitive, I may change my mind.  But so far, I think it was made for me.  ;D

• Liked: 325
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »
Thanks for the update.  What is Lapland, U.K.?

• Liked: 719
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2022, 03:13:40 PM »

I think this is it

https://portal.laplanduk.co.uk/

The Lapland daytrip lasts approximately 3.5 hours. The first 90 minutes are scripted, interactive sessions in the Enchanted Forest, Toy Factory and Mother Christmas Kitchen. Thereafter follows 90 minutes in the Elven Village before your personalised audience with Father Christmas.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »

The worlds most expensive Santa experience.  ;D

So in the UK, Santa lives in Lapland, not the North Pole.

But I’ve been told that Lapland UK is actually more magical than Lapland itself (which can be visited in Norway, Sweden, and Finland).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2022, 10:12:05 PM »
The worlds most expensive Santa experience.  ;D

So in the UK, Santa lives in Lapland, not the North Pole.

But I’ve been told that Lapland UK is actually more magical than Lapland itself (which can be visited in Norway, Sweden, and Finland).
Your kids will love Lapland.

I'm very glad chemo/injections are going well and you're hopefully on your way towards stability!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2022, 08:31:28 AM »
I've recently had a small operation to fix a hernia and couldn't stop thinking of you the whole time.  My experience was so limited, safe and run of the mill and I kept thinking how terrifying this would all be if it were as serious and unknown as what you are facing. 

Because of my new job I've got private insurance and it's pretty strange to not be using the NHS.  I really can't compare, but so far so good.   

• Liked: 11
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2022, 11:38:43 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear this. It sounds like you're getting good care and responding well.
You've been such an amazing source of support and help for all of us here on the forum (myself included). I hope we are able to return it all back to you.

« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
Been a roller coaster ride this week.

Finished the antibiotics they started at the hospital on Sunday and was just full of energy. I hadn’t felt that good since June, I’d say. Was such a positive turn in quality of life and I embraced it.

Yesterday I had my pleural effusion drained for potentially the last time.  The last two drains have REALLY zapped me for energy and when my right lung starts working again, I find the sensations very bothersome.

Then they called at 6pm last night that my post procedure X-ray showed air had gotten into the space (while I call it a lung issue, it’s an area that should not have air). So I was told to report to the hospital at 9am, have a repeat X-ray. If the air was still there, they were going to have to insert a catheter.  And chemo would have been off today.

THANKFULLY the air sorted itself overnight, nothing to worry about and I’m having my chemo now.

Had my checkup with my oncologist yesterday and she said the tumour in my breast has shrunk massively. She didn’t do any checks of my abdomen since I had literally just been drained.

And my drain was SIX WEEKS since prior drain, whereas I was going roughly a week between treatments before. So all signs point to my body responding to treatment.

CT scan and breast ultrasound prior to Round 4 of chemo and will speak with the Oncologist for the results on Thanksgiving. I’m hoping we will be celebrating!

Thank you all for your continued support.

Jimbo, I’m so sorry you had to go through all that. You should have text!  I hope you are recovering well?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
So all signs point to my body responding to treatment.

CT scan and breast ultrasound prior to Round 4 of chemo and will speak with the Oncologist for the results on Thanksgiving. I’m hoping we will be celebrating!

Awesome awesome! I hope you will indeed be celebrating!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 239
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »

Had my checkup with my oncologist yesterday and she said the tumour in my breast has shrunk massively. She didn’t do any checks of my abdomen since I had literally just been drained.

And my drain was SIX WEEKS since prior drain, whereas I was going roughly a week between treatments before. So all signs point to my body responding to treatment.

That’s fantastic news! ❤️❤️
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 719
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »
Excellent news. Hopefully Thanksgiving will bring even more good news.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 24
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »
So glad you're responding to treatment! Hope your Thanksgiving appointment goes well!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2022, 01:02:22 PM »
Jimbo, I’m so sorry you had to go through all that. You should have text!  I hope you are recovering well?
  It was nothing, just a day surgery and some soreness.  Thanks anyway!  Glad to hear you are feeling good and planning holidays. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab