Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Me  (Read 17041 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Me
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »
@KFdancer , I was thinking last night that your superpower is being very smart and having the judgement to always make the best decisions.  If being organized and doing the right thing at the right time will beat cancer, then you've got that going for you. 

Also, if having love and determination for your family can beat cancer, you've got that in spades.  Nobody understands just how that works in conjunction with medical science, but it does and you've definitely got that. 

Ooo that got me.  Thank you Jimbo.  I just hope I find an oncologist who believes in me. If not the first one, I’ll go to another. Just hope I don’t run out of doctors.

We told the kids. Thankfully it means nothing to them right now.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »
I'm sorry to read that you are going through this. It's natural to be thinking of your children, but I think you are going to come through this.

An in-law of a cousin, found out several a few months ago that she had cancer and that it had spread. She was stage 4 but she was given 2 years. She is only 8 years older than you and her thoughts too were of her children and grandchildren. Last month I was told that the tears of sadness were now tears of happiness after yet another hospital visit. She had lost her hair but she had her life back.

You'll beat this. You are in good hands. NHS England will look after you

EDIT. Don't forget to ask the hospital to give you a free parking pass. Regular patients visiting for treatment, can have free parking. That appears to be one of the - if you don't ask they won't tell you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 02:25:18 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 02:13:37 AM »
I'm sorry to read that you are going through this. It's natural to be thinking of your children, but I think you are going to come through this.

An in-law of a cousin, found out several a few months ago that she had cancer and that it had spread. She was stage 4 but she was given 2 years. She is only 8 years older than you and her thoughts too were of her children and grandchildren. Last month I was told that the tears of sadness were now tears of happiness after yet another hospital visit. She had lost her hair but she had her life back.

You'll beat this. You are in good hands. NHS England will look after you

EDIT. Don't forget to ask the hospital to give you a free parking pass. Regular patients visiting for treatment, can have free parking. That appears to be one of the - if you don't ask they won't tell you.

Amazing.  I pray I am like her.  How amazing for your whole family. 

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 11:14:22 AM »
They have the cellular data from my biopsies and I see the oncologist Friday at 4pm.  The nurse said there "plenty of options".  I had to write it down.  Plenty of options.

I have been in such fear that I would be met with "sorry, we can't do anything."  She promised that's not the case.  There are options.  I'll know them Friday. 

There are options.  I can't stop crying.  Crying with relief.  They can treat me. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 11:17:58 AM »
So so glad to hear there are plenty of options for you.   All the best for your appointment on Friday afternoon.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 11:47:46 AM »
They have the cellular data from my biopsies and I see the oncologist Friday at 4pm.  The nurse said there "plenty of options".  I had to write it down.  Plenty of options.

I have been in such fear that I would be met with "sorry, we can't do anything."  She promised that's not the case.  There are options.  I'll know them Friday. 

There are options.  I can't stop crying.  Crying with relief.  They can treat me.

This is going to feel like the LONGEST. WEEK. EVER. for you... hope you get some good news on Friday and they can get you started on the treatment ASAP!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 11:48:46 AM »

You've totally got this, and we've got you!!!!

[smiley=hug.gif] [smiley=heart.gif]

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
So happy to see a ray of light.

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 12:15:16 PM »
This is going to feel like the LONGEST. WEEK. EVER. for you... hope you get some good news on Friday and they can get you started on the treatment ASAP!

I know that I'm not going to sit down on Friday and be told they can't do anything though. 

But yes, everyone I know who has been on this journey says from the moment you find out you have cancer in your body, you just want SOMETHING to happen to know you are getting it out. 

I want this out so my husband and I can grow old and watch our children grow up together.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
You are going to beat this.

If you need other people to talk to about the medical jargon/treatments, or just for extra support from those going through the same, or for your husabnd to get support, there is the MacMillan Online Community.
https://community.macmillan.org.uk/

If your finances take a dive while going through treatment, take a look at claiming New Style ESA, which is for those who have contributed (worked) in the UK for the last 2 tax years. Savings and your husband's salary, are not counted for contribution based benefits.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:36:55 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 424
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 04:38:04 PM »
Yay options! You have so got this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 06:03:18 PM »
Maybe you'll find this article interesting, it's written by a surgeon who gets a diagnosis of prostrate cancer.   He writes about "the talk" with an oncologist from the point of view of both a patient and doctor. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/13/brain-surgeon-henry-marsh-doctor-patient-prostate-cancer 

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 11:26:59 AM »
You are going to beat this.

If you need other people to talk to about the medical jargon/treatments, or just for extra support from those going through the same, or for your husabnd to get support, there is the MacMillan Online Community.

If your finances take a dive while going through treatment, take a look at claiming New Style ESA, which is for those who have contributed (worked) in the UK for the last 2 tax years. Savings and your husband's salary, are not counted for contribution based benefits.

It's a times like this where working for a big corporate pays dividends.  Thankfully I have great insurance in place for long-term critical illness that kicks in after my company's very generous sick leave policy.  I am incredibly grateful that the weight of a financial hit is not something we need to worry about for now. 

I'm thrilled to hear that there are programs that help in the UK.  My "Sister in sh*t" (a mother in my daughter's class who just finished round 2 of chemo) is trying to work when she can for financial reasons and it breaks my heart, though she is very happy as she had just pivoted in her career and she won't have a gap in knowledge and qualifications.  I'm going to ensure she knows about this.  Thank you Sirius!  This is the side of you that I love and makes me thankful you are part of our community. 

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »
Maybe you'll find this article interesting, it's written by a surgeon who gets a diagnosis of prostrate cancer.   He writes about "the talk" with an oncologist from the point of view of both a patient and doctor. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/13/brain-surgeon-henry-marsh-doctor-patient-prostate-cancer 

Of course, before I hit post, everything I wrote disappeared.  I found this very interesting though.  And I think my SIL who is a surgeon is one of "these" doctors.  She's a fitness fanatic and cycles everywhere.  She probably does think "patient" "doctor".  I'm sure it gets her through the day.

I was given a good knowledge piece yesterday.  Apparently legislation went into place (not sure when and how long it's been in place) around doctors and their Duty of Care.  The doctors Duty of Care must remain clinical and factual.  They are LEGALLY not allowed to be fluffy and such.  As some patients only hear that one piece of positive and then are surprised at the negatives.  I'm the opposite, tell me a thousand positives and one negative and I'll focus on that one negative...  I know I'm not alone in that.

Yesterday was good.  My daughter had diving and I've become very close to the "diving mums".  There are 4 of us.  Me, a dentist, a pub owner (woohoo!), and an anesthesiologist (at the hospital I go to).  Last night my anesthesiologist friend (C) really gave me some wonderful knowledge.  And her mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer years ago and is still here.  I had been messaging privately with her but last night was the first time I saw her in person.  Her sister is a breast oncologist in another part of the UK (northern England or Scotland, I'm not 100% sure).  She asked for permission for her and her sister to look at my scans/results and treatment plans.  I am so grateful to have people like this in my life.  She also said that we shouldn't be scared of the C word the way we used to be.  As the treatments are so advanced and so individually targeted for each person.  Let's just say I came home, as asleep by 9pm and slept until my alarm at 8:45 this morning.  I don't know if I've ever slept that well.  My mind was finally quiet.  It was amazing and much needed after a few tough, extremely emotional weeks.

My SIL who is properly Irish with over 100 first cousins is desperate to talk to me.  We were supposed to talk last night, but as I had been on a hell of a roller coaster with my emotions yesterday, we've delayed to tonight or tomorrow.  She says in her family everyone calls for the first sniffle, cough, bump, etc.  Whereas she thinks she can ACTUALLY help us.  She is going to give us questions to ask the oncologist from the insight she has from her two years training with the NHS.  She says they will, of course, offer the best care they can.  But sometimes you need the right language to get into certain trials/studies/etc. 

My emotions have, of course, been all over the map.  My husband is just so flipping unbelievable.  But I want to find him a professional (we are told we will be given info Friday) for him to be able to talk to.  He can be very British Stiff Upper Lip.  And he needs to have someone he can go to and just say "THIS IS UNFAIR AND IT SUCKS AND I HATE IT" without worrying about me feeling guilty.  He has known exactly what to say and when to say it.  Which is a surprise, because normally he gets it wrong.  ;)  Sunday we went into our town centre for Nandos for dinner.  I've been staying away from the news, as I find the Queen's death a bit too close for comfort right.  You guys know I love to DO and I line the streets for all the big events (hey, us Americans gotta do our part, right?)  Anyways, our town centre was shut during the day for the reading of the proclamation.  I said to my husband that any other time, I would have been in the crowd as it's history and he shrugged and said, "We'll come into town for the next one."  He is my perfect match and me and the kids are so lucky to have him.  I look forward to being snarky and sarcastic to him again in the future.  ;)  I'm a bit soppy for him at the moment.  ::)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 01:47:54 PM »

This is such an interesting read on so many levels.

Likewise, is there a Maggie's Centre near you?  They're also an amazing place for support for both you and your husband and kids.

When do your parents come over?   Sounds like you've got an amazing village  [smiley=smitten.gif]

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab