Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BRP questions  (Read 854 times)

• Liked: 56
BRP questions
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:06:03 AM »
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone might have some more info regarding how the BRP scheme works/is changing? I've looked through the forum for similar questions and found some answers, but I still have a few questions.

I recently found out why my ILR card expires at the end of 2024 and I know it will be going to an online system. The system probably isn't fully worked out yet, so we probably don't know much about it. It sounds like it's going to be designed to prove status for domestic things like right to work and rent and such, but is there any information yet about how international travel will work? We currently have to show our BRP cards when returning to the UK, even though we have to also do fingerprints.

The other question I have is - are BRP cards linked to our American passports? My passport expires late Sept 2024. I want to be able to travel to Europe in summer 2024, so I need to renew my passport probably by March at the latest to be safe. But it would suck to have to deal with having to replace a BRP card less than a year before the scheme changes.

Any info or links to info sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 3595
Re: BRP questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 08:41:09 AM »
I don't think we know yet.

They only announced that it was all going online in May (previously, they were just going to make everyone get a new style BRP card), so I don't think they've actually stated how it's going to work with travel yet.

From what I've read in articles about it, UKVI will be publishing detailed information about it in early 2024.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »
That's just one of the reasons we recommend getting citizenship as soon as you can. No need to bother with this sort of stuff anymore!  :)

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 02:16:27 PM »
Thanks so much for the info. Sorry I'm getting back to this so late - a lot happened after posting.

So, do we not know on the current system if the BRP card is linked to our current American passports? I need to go home to visit family in America either for Christmas or April 2024, so it might just be easier for me to renew my passport this summer instead as I will need the new one before I book those flights.

I went home this past Christmas, and I actually just had to scan my passport on the new electronic systems and was never asked for my BRP card. So I know the passport info must be linked to the card. I don't know what to do - if I need to somehow notify the home office or get a new BRP card or something. Any info about what the current system is like is very much appreciated. :-)

I don't think we know yet.

They only announced that it was all going online in May (previously, they were just going to make everyone get a new style BRP card), so I don't think they've actually stated how it's going to work with travel yet.

From what I've read in articles about it, UKVI will be publishing detailed information about it in early 2024.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 03:55:48 PM »
So, do we not know on the current system if the BRP card is linked to our current American passports? I need to go home to visit family in America either for Christmas or April 2024, so it might just be easier for me to renew my passport this summer instead as I will need the new one before I book those flights.

Yes, your BRP card is linked to your passport.

Whenever you decide to renew your passport, you just need to contact UKVI with your new passport number so they can update their system and link it to your BRP.

You do this by filling in a Change of Circumstances form.

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:30 AM »
Thanks so much again.
Do you happen to know if there is a way to verify that the new details will be applied? Or is that just gonna be a wait and see if I get pulled by border control ag the airport deal??? I would plan on sending the form special delivery, but we all know how the home office can be. I never got any confirmation when I sent that form when I moved.

Thanks for your help. I have recently been rethinking citizenship, but I just don't really have that kind of money right now. :(

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks so much again.
Do you happen to know if there is a way to verify that the new details will be applied? Or is that just gonna be a wait and see if I get pulled by border control ag the airport deal??? I would plan on sending the form special delivery, but we all know how the home office can be. I never got any confirmation when I sent that form when I moved.

Thanks for your help. I have recently been rethinking citizenship, but I just don't really have that kind of money right now. :(

You don't get any confirmation that it's been updated - you just have to assume it's been done. As long as you have sent the form, you've informed them of the change, and it's on their end to get it updated.

You shouldn't need to send anything special delivery - normal mail is fine, or you may actually be able to use the online form instead of the paper one, even though it says to use the paper one... several people have been able to update their details online instead of by post.

I'd try the online form first and see if it works.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
Thanks so much :-)
We might be having a change of plans though and I won't have to do all this....my in-laws just offered to pay for my citizenship application. :)
That was the biggest thing holding me back, so I'm now searching through the forum for info as we speak. Just hoping its not too confusing or requires too many things. I kind of stopped accumulating letters and such and all the utilities kind of forced us to be paperless :-( And of course, I'll have to take that silly test again. But I guess I needed to do it sooner or later. Can't afford to go abroad much for the rest of the year due to just how crazy expensive it is right now, so guess its the perfect time :-)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab