Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Regarding divorce  (Read 2409 times)

• Liked: 0
Regarding divorce
« on: January 15, 2023, 02:15:57 AM »
I have a question regarding a divorce.
I married a british citizen  (we only married in UK) in 2010, got citizenship in 2015.
But due to some horrible things happening i left the country (UK), came back to USA, and i lost communication with him.
Its been a few years from that episode, but i dont know what happened now with the divorce, im unsure if he applied for it without my knowledge or not.
I would really like to know but as you know im now in the USA, and im unsure how that would work. Does anybody knows how am i able to know if im divorced or not? Perhaps i need to go to the UK and fix this issue?

Im currently in a healthy and loving relationship and we were discussing getting married (my current partner knows everything), but I know my past marriage is a problem now that we would like to get married here.

Does anybody got any insight regarding this problem? I would appreciate it so much.
Got Married: October 2010
Got  Citizenship: Dec 2015

• Liked: 6110
Re: Regarding divorce
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 08:53:59 AM »
I have a question regarding a divorce.
I married a british citizen  (we only married in UK) in 2010, got citizenship in 2015.
But due to some horrible things happening i left the country (UK), came back to USA, and i lost communication with him.
Its been a few years from that episode, but i dont know what happened now with the divorce, im unsure if he applied for it without my knowledge or not.
I would really like to know but as you know im now in the USA, and im unsure how that would work. Does anybody knows how am i able to know if im divorced or not? Perhaps i need to go to the UK and fix this issue?

Im currently in a healthy and loving relationship and we were discussing getting married (my current partner knows everything), but I know my past marriage is a problem now that we would like to get married here.

Does anybody got any insight regarding this problem? I would appreciate it so much.

You can check here. https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

This came up when I googled "can I be divorced without knowing it"

https://www.wiselaw.co.uk/divorce/divorced-not-know/

And how to end a marriage if your partner is missing.

https://www.gov.uk/divorce-missing-husband-wife

Good luck!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Regarding divorce
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
I would think it is HIGHLY unlike that you are divorced. Until recently there had to be two full years of documented separation.  This is no longer the case so could be done quickly (though nothing is ever quick in the UK).

You do not have to divorce in the UK.  If your soon-to-be-ex-husband has not filed a petition for divorce in the UK, you can file in the USA and follow your state’s protocol.  For it to be quick (as in not having to wait years), you’ll want to make contact. Honestly, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have the same phone number.  But if he doesn’t, do you have phone numbers or addresses for any friends or family?  Or found them on Facebook, Instagram, etc.? 

I’d contact him and file in the USA. It will be faster and easier for you. I’m sure he wants it done as much as you, probably just doesn’t want to pay for it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 03:01:14 PM by KFdancer »

Sponsored Links