Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Question  (Read 334 times)

• Liked: 19
ILR Question
« on: January 26, 2023, 12:19:08 PM »
Hi,

My current spousal visa ends on 31/05/23. I will have been in the UK since 1/02/18, so I'm almost at 5 years. As I understand it, I can apply for ILR any time from now until the end of May.

I've been reviewing the guidelines, and it mentions needing the results from the Life in the UK test. Do I need to pass this for ILR? I'd like to get citizenship, too, but I thought this could be pursued after achieving ILR.

Thanks so much for the help!

Kind regards,
Julie

• Liked: 3589
ILR Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 01:37:43 PM »
Hi,

My current spousal visa ends on 31/05/23. I will have been in the UK since 1/02/18, so I'm almost at 5 years. As I understand it, I can apply for ILR any time from now until the end of May.

Yes, you can apply any time between 4th Jan and 31st May 2023.

I've been reviewing the guidelines, and it mentions needing the results from the Life in the UK test. Do I need to pass this for ILR? I'd like to get citizenship, too, but I thought this could be pursued after achieving ILR.

Yes, you need to pass it for ILR.

The Life in the UK test is a requirement for both ILR and citizenship applications.

When the test was first introduced in 2005, it was only required for citizenship, but in 2007, it was made a requirement for ILR as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: ILR Question
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »

Yes, you need to pass it for ILR.

The Life in the UK test is a requirement for both ILR and citizenship applications.

When the test was first introduced in 2005, it was only required for citizenship, but in 2007, it was made a requirement for ILR as well.

Ah great to know. I had that wrong. Do you recommend the materials from immigration for studying? Somebody I knew had an app on his phone. I want to be well-prepared.

Nice to hear from you again, ksand24. So glad you're out there!

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 403
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 06:01:21 PM »
You need to buy the book then supplement it with some apps perhaps.
First thing is read the book, all the info you need is in there.

The apps and website will help you get a feel for technique but they are a bit hit and miss.   I heard one person say the apps were nothing like the actual test....

This website is worth a look  https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/

It is very hard to piece together a full picture of the actual test.    Practice practice practice until you are frequently passing it then it will require a bit of luck from there...

UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

• Liked: 33
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 07:16:33 PM »
You need to buy the book then supplement it with some apps perhaps.
First thing is read the book, all the info you need is in there.

The apps and website will help you get a feel for technique but they are a bit hit and miss.   I heard one person say the apps were nothing like the actual test....

This website is worth a look  https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/

It is very hard to piece together a full picture of the actual test.    Practice practice practice until you are frequently passing it then it will require a bit of luck from there...

Agree with all this^^^. I just passed it. I read the book and then did loads and loads of practice tests. The practice tests from Red Squirrel books are good. You can also do their online questions (have to buy one of their books for access). Their questions were thorough and actually seemed harder than the actual test turned out to be. The worst for me was remembering all the people, architects, inventors, sports people, etc. I had to use random memory aids. One inventor has the same name as my dog.  ;D And that is the one that showed up on my test! When you start getting the vast majority of practice questions right, you will know it's time. Oh, and a friend of mine who is a UK citizen now highly recommended a series of YouTube videos because he learns better by listening and that is what he did. So that's an option too.

• Liked: 403
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »
Also, it is highly recommended to get the Life in the UK test done as soon as possible -  do not put it off. 

It's the only part of the application that you cannot control or work around,  and the last thing you need is a deadline hanging over you to get it passed. 

UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 07:53:43 AM »
Agree with all this^^^. I just passed it. I read the book and then did loads and loads of practice tests. The practice tests from Red Squirrel books are good. You can also do their online questions (have to buy one of their books for access). Their questions were thorough and actually seemed harder than the actual test turned out to be. The worst for me was remembering all the people, architects, inventors, sports people, etc. I had to use random memory aids. One inventor has the same name as my dog.  ;D And that is the one that showed up on my test! When you start getting the vast majority of practice questions right, you will know it's time. Oh, and a friend of mine who is a UK citizen now highly recommended a series of YouTube videos because he learns better by listening and that is what he did. So that's an option too.

This is awesome info, thanks! I've downloaded the books, etc. I used YouTube to help study for my driving tests (both theory and practice). I'll have a look.

Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links