Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Self-Assessment on Foreign Income (US Savings Bonds)  (Read 489 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Self-Assessment on Foreign Income (US Savings Bonds)
« on: March 21, 2023, 10:55:25 AM »
Hello! I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate your help. Please let me know if I missed this topic elsewhere; I have tried to check. I'm a US citizen, resident and working in the UK on a multi-year visa. In reporting my US income to HMRC in a self-assessment, it seems I owe tax on the interest of US savings bonds that I've cashed *including* the value that fell below the US personal allowance of $12,550 (which I therefore haven't already paid tax on in the US). That surprised me. I guess it's fair enough--I had the £12,500 of my UK personal allowance, and the UK isn't bound to recognize my US allowance for my US income. Is this right? Is there any way to save money here?

• Liked: 102
Re: UK Self-Assessment on Foreign Income (US Savings Bonds)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:54:54 AM »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 12:28:12 PM »
Thank you. I had a look and that seems to agree that interest on US savings bonds should be taxed in the UK. Is anyone aware of the rules around personal allowance, as well?

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »
Thank you. I had a look and that seems to agree that interest on US savings bonds should be taxed in the UK. Is anyone aware of the rules around personal allowance, as well?

I don't believe HMRC takes into consideration US personal allowances, no reason they should.

I don't quite understand what you are asking. Are you saying that your total income is greater than your UK tax free allowance of £12,500 but less than your US tax free allowance of $12,500?  (That can certainly happen. For example, you are receiving SS which is not taxed in the US but is taxed in the UK)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links