Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life in the UK Test validity  (Read 405 times)

• Liked: 56
Life in the UK Test validity
« on: April 15, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »
Hi all.
I've started looking at getting my citizenship, so I'm sure I'll have other questions. But my first is regarding the Life in the UK Test. I took mine in October 2019 and got permanent residency in Feb 2020.
I was certain that the test was only valid for 2 years, so I could only re-use it for citizenship if I had applied by October 2021. I just went to go check what I needed to take it again - last time I needed an ID and a bill addressed to me where the names matched exactly. (I remember that it was really hard for me to find mail that matched my ID as my ID has my middle name on it.) On the government website, it seemed like some things have changed? And I wanted to check it here to see if I am understanding it correctly.

1 - Government website says nothing about a piece of mail to confirm residence. It only says ID and that the ID must exactly match the details that I enter when I book. Is this really the case now and I don't have to worry about providing a utility bill or anything???
2 - I definitely remember that the test was only valid for 2 years. But nothing on the government website says this. In fact, it mentions what your pass letter will say if you took it before Dec 2019...
 "If you pass the test
You must score 75% or more to pass the test.
You’ll get a ‘unique reference number’. You’ll need this number to complete your citizenship or settlement application. The Home Office will use it to check that you’ve passed.
If you took your test before 17 December 2019, you’ll have a letter with a ‘test reference ID’ instead of a unique reference number.
If you have lost your letter, send a letter explaining that you have lost it with your citizenship or settlement application."

I need to go check if I still have the letter...I'm sure I do. But if I lost it, I'd probably rather take it again then send a letter of "oops, lost it" with my application. But, has this really been changed? Or is this something that looks like its been changed on the front of the government website, but in reality when you get to the application, its still needed to be within 2 years?

Thanks so much for any and all help :-)
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

Re: Life in the UK Test validity
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 04:26:35 PM »
I'm a bit absent minded these days....I actually forgot to include a quote from the part of the government website that says that you don't need to retake it:

"When you do not need to take the test
You do not need to take the test if you:

are under 18
are 65 or over
have passed it before - for example, if you’re applying to become a citizen and already passed it as part of your settlement application
have a long-term physical or mental condition - you must provide either a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition"

However, I know that there could still be fine print in there somewhere about the 2 year limit. So thats why I wanted to thoroughly check with you wonderful folks about it.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »
There is no limit on the Life in the U.K. test validity… the pass certificate never expires, so you can use the same one for both ILR and citizenship.

Maybe the 2-year limit you were thinking of is the validity of ILR if you leave the UK. If you move to another country for more than 2 years, your ILR becomes invalid and so if you want to move back to the UK again after that, you have to start the 5-year visa process all over again from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »
Woohooo!!!!!!
That is so awesome to hear. I mean, I really did think it was 2 years cause I thought most people got citizenship right away after ILR so they could use it before it expired and had to take again. But I actually must have been associating it with the CSCS health and safety test that is valid for 2 years that I have to take for work.
Thank you so so so much!!! I'll be able to get it sorted much faster now :)

Sponsored Links